• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
King's Game The Animation (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:00 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
This is very possibly the stupidest show I have ever watched.

Then you're obviously not watching Evil or Live. Twisted Evil Like King's Game, its second episode also had a coerced sex scene, but it was hilariously bombastic, (I'm hiding this, because if you do watch it, you'll want to go into that scene unspoiled. You won't believe your eyes.) spoiler[with the MC imagining the birth of the Universe and the evolution of life, and experiencing cosmic enlightenment, after just feeling her boob, while she literally vomits, repeatedly, even in his mouth, at just the sight of his face]. Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
Oh, Gina, Gina, Gina ... did you really think for a second that I - King of Trash - would NOT be watching Evil or Live? At least Evil or Live makes me laugh (the scene you cite was hysterical) which I can't say for this piece of dreck.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I guess on further reflection, KG is stupider. I mean, I feel like the people working on EorL know their limits, and have just said, "Screw it, this is never gonna be great stuff, but we can at least have some fun with it." While KG is so caught up in being edgy that it isn't in on how stupid it is. I'm surprised Evil got past the Chinese censors. I thought they were more puritanical than that.

Both series have serious problems with continuity. KG had the girl jump out the window, and then somehow fall from above that window. EorL had the MC come from the back of the pack to outrun an already thrown rock and get hit in the face with it. Very Happy

Go make an EoL thread. I have a feeling I'm going to need to be discussing that series, but I hate starting threads. Smile

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:26 am Reply with quote
As do I. Basically, if Stark700 doesn't do it, it doesn't seem to get done.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
And I am not watching EoL, because as I am watching trash like King's Game, if I cannot stand the first episode of a show like EoL, I will not watch the rest. Not after sitting through Bloodivores and The Outcast. Those Chinese productions are not only bad, but seem to have a tonal misunderstanding of how stories should work, believing that their characters need to equal any villain in being terrible, with aspects of sexism and the like that just rubs me the wrong way. More plainly I don't watch anything that makes me angry, while I doubt King's Game is going to do that because it is actually so stupid.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:09 pm Reply with quote
The false rape accusation by the psycho-bitch didn't rub you the wrong way?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:31 pm Reply with quote
They did, just as much that it happened as it not making any sense in how the others believed it after how she acted earlier. And it was weird how that supposedly happened earlier, and then how things were this episode, like it was all about how the main character was beat up, and then as he is supposedly in a bad shape his then group then seem to talk about things like he was not just on the edge of unconsciousness. With how things were with knocking the guy out to rape him, I am not even sure this show knows how sex works.

The Chinese productions though are different. I don't know if it is just me, but it feels like this underlying hatred of women, especially any that may be sexual themselves. The first episode had the guy choose some random girl that will apparently be forced to have sex with him, which happened after some word play of misunderstanding that the guy may have been a girl, followed by some homophobia, but The Outcast was pretty horrible too, with the whole virgin thing made a big deal. But My First Girlfriend is a Gal also got pretty bad with all the virgin stuff, but at least pretended that it was portraying gals in a fare manor.

The second episode of A Sister's all you Need, where the main character apparently went off at a girl with a few choice words, not being very nice. But even with that and how the first episode of that series started (imouto overload), other parts tell me that the show is likely smarter than it is outwardly looking, kind of like Saekano, that there is a point to the sexual stuff in making a commentary, and some care for the characters. EoL along with others has me think that they don't care or they have a twisted way of thinking about it, where maybe they think that they can get away with it by making the guy look very unattractive for a scene, or in general a dick, like that is the audience. But King's Game is clueless, where one scene will have a girl publicly throw herself at a guy where he is visibly turning it down, and two scenes later she is calling rape and these people that just saw she is apparently a snake then believe her. Or whatever the deal was with how he was making his girlfriend rape his friend, and then crying with her as she thinks that she betrayed him.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
So it looks like King's identity is the homeroom teacher, at least for the flashback game. No-one else fits the criteria of being part of the class without also being a student. Wouldn't be surprised if the English teacher was King for the current class. Typical YA plot; all adults are bad. Speaking of adults, it is so stupid how neither the police nor any parents have noticed the deaths yet in either game.

Man this anime is garbage. I'm only hatewatching it at this point.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:03 am Reply with quote
The stupidity has continued with episode 4, again character writing being just the worst like what they do. Would someone in her situation just run away to the beach and do nothing else, or would they desperately start touching everyone in the school? She said that she failed, but clearly the nicest thing to say would be that she also saved the entire class from turning against each other, that she proved no one in the class is at fault, that she actually helped them all. Was no one else thankful for what she did, and thought that they might try and help her in touching as many people as possible to remove further suspicion or actually find the king? What was the deal with the freak-out with what the quiet girl said?

She killed herself because she found being blind hard? I feel like it is disrespectful of people who are blind. Perhaps destroying random junk was not enough to count as lost or important? He couldn't talk about how important his wallet is while encouraging someone to take it? How did she write in the sand after talking about how hard being blind was? Backing up a bit, why did she keep asking that his theory would have to be right after he made it clear earlier that he had no idea if someone in the class could be the king? Why not go with something like "touch the king or a dog", then she would not have to worry so much about if it failed? What was the point of him breaking up with his girlfriend like he did?

And I am going to think it probably is not the teacher either. No, I am going to put the chips on it being something completely batshit stupid. Like some sort of local god that became one of the king's game. Maybe a full on Another ripoff? Maybe something like a ghost that went on the internet, or the internet itself, like the show is trying to pretend it has some message what you send people?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:56 am Reply with quote
I love how MC suddenly pulls out of his back pocket, "oh yeah, I know the town where this originally started - mebbers we'll find some information there!" Laughing
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
And I am going to think it probably is not the teacher either.

I don't think King was lying when he said that he's part of the class, and the only person who can be part of the class while not being a student is the hoomroom teacher.

You don't think the teacher being the focus of the camera's attention in the class photo is kinda weird? There he is, sitting right in the middle, in the most visible spot, with the camera zooming out to show the rest of the class. Bingo, he's hiding in plain sight.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
It's that evil chalkboard at the front of the class!
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Maybe there's a class goldfish or hamster which is the culprit.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:11 am Reply with quote
To add on to the useless questions that will never get answered: Don't these kids have class? In the present timeline it's only been a day since the game started, but in the past timeline at least five days have gone by, yet it looks like these kids are at all times hanging out freely and unsupervised in the classroom. The only time the teacher showed up was to announce the death of the first few students, after that it seems like the class can just stand around yelling in horror, accussing each other, holding elections, jumping off windows or holding a groping session completely uninterrupted
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I've figured it out! I've figured out why this train wreck interests me, especially given that I already know the identity of the King (my friend read the mobile novels and spoiled me as soon as the series was released).

It's the "can they make the game(s) stop?", the same as with Another. Sure, we're watching all the ridiculousness, but the actual story is trying to find the source and make it stop, like in Another.

Now, it will be interesting if they can do what they did in Another, which was spoiler[find a way just to stop it for the year, and can only pass down the method and hope the next class can figure out who the extra person is to stop it for that year as well.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3