• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Society for the Study of Really Awesome Endings

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:53 am Reply with quote
Aw, I hoped "Fall in Love Like a Comic" would be good. The premise sounds like one of those so-bad-it's-good things, but I guess not. I'll probably just check it out out of masochism, but it doesn't seem like it's going on my shelf.

Detroit Metal City sounds hilarious! What an interesting concept...
bleuster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:49 am Reply with quote
Yotsuba&! is really something. It gives me a feeling that most manga series don't give me. It almost feels like reading a novel, even with the lack of text in some scenes. And Pants-Man!

I didn't like how ADV handled vol. 3 with the typos and mixing up the character's name, but they seem to be on the ball now after that long hiatus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Delirium

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:57 am Reply with quote
What about all the scanlators without whose hard work there would be no import-of-the-month reviews? No thanks for them?
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:12 am Reply with quote
You don't need to scanlate manga in order to import it. Some people read them in the Japanese.

Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people so I'll just have to hope that DMC gets licensed in English.

---

It'll be sad to see the end of Genshiken but I suppose it's pretty much covered all the territory it set out to cover by this point and I'd rather it came to a close now than draw things out too long.

Nice to see Yotsuba still getting the attention it deserves too - the arrival of the long-awaited volume 5 doesn't seem to have drawn as much notice as it should have done somehow.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:26 am Reply with quote
Just a mention on Spiral, if the anime is any indication, the last few chapters of the manga are indeed connected to the Blade Children as well. It just takes getting to the resolution to really see the connection.

And dated art doesn't really seem like a valid criticism. Really, doesn't mentioning it encourage the "it's old=no sale" mentality? Not that Spiral is a classic to be loved for all time, but it shouldn't be dismissed on the grounds of being moderately dated.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quote
Going against the usual trend of things, the Spiral anime is much better than the manga...and it's still not that good.

If you liked the anime anyway, like I did, I have to recomend against reading the manga...the anime's slight deviations from it are only to its benefit, and once the chapters the anime adapted are over, it quickly devolves into nonsense(which is why the final episodes of the anime are all original material, I guess). The author manged to come up with some outlandish but clever puzzles, but at simple plotting he's awful.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:17 am Reply with quote
Kiyohiko Azuma=Wonderful!

I feel in love with Azumanga Daioh, and Yotsuba is just as good if not better (plus the girl is just SO freakin adorable) Her wide range of expressions makes it all worth it...plus it's just so odd o.O
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote
Yotsuba&! is one of my favorite current manga that I'm reading. I read vol. 5 on the plane, and had to put the book down because I was trying really hard not to laugh out loud and freak out my seatmates. I love it when Yotsuba meets her "rival." That was hilarious.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote
Ah..Genshiken. My favorite series of all time in manga and anime. I have to agree the ending wasn't as huge as I thought. It went out tugging on my heartstrings but with a whimper.

The chapters mentioned are my favorites. I love the experiment of no dialogue in that one chapter. I like the small glimpse in the future, I like the confession story, I like Sue. I didn't like the extra bonus at the end a lot though. It agree with it being somewhere else in the story.

I disagree with the comment of the Sasahara/Ogiue subplot tie. It was tied pretty tightly last volume. The story of them in here just seems like a everyday chapter instead of an ending subplot chapter. Even though I do love this as an artist I would of omitted it and put it in book 8. IMO.

Otherwise I fangirled when I saw this in the bookstore and I have it. This is the first manga series over 3 volumes I have collected!
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:46 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I need a new series to read, and Yotsuba&! seems like a good choice. Off to the book store! Very Happy
Jadress

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Ahh!! I didn't know volume 9 was the end of Genshiken! Anime cry And I can't buy it either, because I asked for it for Xmas.. darn. And you've peaked my interest about Yotsuba&!. I wasn't really considering it before, since I didn't really care for Azumanga Daioh, but does anyone think it'd still be enjoyable for a non-fan of AzuDai? (For the record, I enjoy the art style, I just didn't find it to ever be more funny than a slight smile.)

Great column.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Awww, I love Gakuen Alice. I think it's innovative and quirky and sweet yet bitter at points; and as the first part of your review said, it's like the best of fairy tales, the real kind before the Victorians then Disney sanitized them.

The characters are all quite real to me, full of shades of grey, and whether I find myself laughing or crying over something in the stories, it's because they've come to mean something to me. And while the story is an old one, about how people who are being trained to compete against each other and be loners come to find a family in their schoolmates instead, it's told well enough to hold my interest. I hope people give this one a try.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
And you've peaked my interest about Yotsuba&!. I wasn't really considering it before, since I didn't really care for Azumanga Daioh, but does anyone think it'd still be enjoyable for a non-fan of AzuDai? (For the record, I enjoy the art style, I just didn't find it to ever be more funny than a slight smile.)

Yes, I'd say so - Yotsuba loses the 4-panel format and is a lot more polished than AzuDai. In my opinion it's also a good deal better (and I say that as someone who quite liked the AzuDai manga - at least after ADV got their act together from Vol. 3).

Yotsuba's an anti-depressant in printed form.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Yotsubat& is a great comic. Though slower than 'Azumanga', you still never know what you're going to get when things run awry. And you're guaranteed to laugh your ass off. I've found myself numerous times sitting on the train (next to people) trying to keep from looking like a loon. I can't help it the book is so damned funny. The creator is genius. He's 2nd in line after 'Akitaro Daichi' for being insanely humorous.

I'm so glad ADV finally got back to releasing them. Now can we get a anime on this series like before "hell freezes over".

Hmmmm?
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Yotsubat& is a great comic. [...] Now can we get a anime on this series like before "hell freezes over".

I dunno if an anime of Yotsuba is such a good idea. The manga's absolutely wonderful but an anime version would likely be targeted at a different demographic. I really, really, really wouldn't want to see something as delightfully innocent as Yotsuba animated as some sort of lolified moe crap for the nonce brigade.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2