• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: California University Offers Class on Manga Publishing

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy9076

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:56 pm Reply with quote
So that's the guy huh? Well, if I play my cards right I could transfer to Irvine very soon, but I would like to meet the guy more than take the class... but having both would be great as well. Smile

I'm much more interested on his work on Berserk and Densha Otoko.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:16 pm Reply with quote
One first step to producing American manga is right here. If you have the clout to undertake this kind of business, go for it.
bleuster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't Irvine offer a manga and anime history course, too?

My cousin goes to Irvine. She actually asked me about anime once, but I downplayed it a bit (out of surprise). Maybe I should tell her take one these classes and get the answers first hand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm torn here. First, I think anyone who talks about publishing American manga is misguided. You should also look at the American comics industry which has been around for decades. Never mind DC and Marvel, of course. I think the real revolution is from the smaller publishers or even Image who was rather the third party. Though other publishers like Dark Horse, Oni, and others. These people are publishing comics in America.

While comics in Japan (manga) are a fascinating industry and scene, they are very different than America. What works in Japan doesn't work here. Now what works here hasn't been working too good either, but I don't think the answer lies in using the manga model. Even TokyoPop's attempts at copying the manga market are very different. They're publishing is more like American graphic novels than the way manga is published in Japan. Even their sales of manga itself are more like graphic novels than the periodicals that first release manga in Japan.

Though while I argue that it is wrong to ignore American comics when teaching a class about publishing comics in Japan, I think it's equally wrong to ignore manga. Of course it's also wrong to ignore European or South American comics too. Sadly, I hardly hear much about them because they sell for crap in America.

I've actually been talking with some people at a college in Boston about their graphic novel program and after class meetings or industry nights. So it's nice to see comics appreciated by colleges.

Yet, while my politics on the terminology of manga differ from this Northrop Davis, I also have to applaud him. If he's the one responsible for turning Cameron onto Alita, more power to him. Now I hear he wants to get Hollywood interested in Berserk. Those are a couple favorite manga, so I have to applaud him as a fellow fan.

I cannot wait for this damn Alita movie. Not that the manga needs a movie to be good, but it's a big step for movies if Alita is brought to the screen. It could be one of the most amazing action films ever.

Then there's Berserk. It's like Lord of the Rings, but totally badass. Toss in some Hellraiser horror too. It too would make a fantastic film. Only problem is how to fit the story into a movie. That happens with taking any serial medium like manga and turning it into even a series of films. I wish him luck with that too.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:32 pm Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
Maybe I should tell her take one these classes and get the answers first hand.

Keep in mind that classes offered in the main undergraduate program have nothing to do with something that in UCI Extension. This is a five-session not-for-credit class that you have to register and pay for separately.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Wait...did anyone else notice the mention of a Berserk screenplay?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Hells yeah. Though a screenplay means almost nothing. This is the same guy who turned Cameron onto Battle Angel Alita. We can see how long that has been in development with still nothing happening. So while I'm excited, I'm not holding my breath for when it happens or even if it happens.

Also, I should link to the similar sounding program at Emerson College in Boston. I'm sure they wouldn't mind the publicity.

http://www.emerson.edu/ce/programs/certificate/Graphic-Novel-Certificate.cfm
Crowspeaker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I had the opportunity to take the first two sections of the class and very much enjoyed it. One of the things that is worth the price of admission is being able to talk to industry insiders about the state of the market and the directions manga is moving, both here and in Japan.

In addition to that, you get the opportunity to work on your own manga and get it into shape for submission.
8gaugebrett

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote
The Berserk manga could not and should not be turned into A movie. A lengthy series of movies however...
Bertle615

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:25 am Reply with quote
I also took the past 2 classes.

A few things that I'd like to make note.

The class doesn't focus on copying the japanese anything. It even states in the article that there is no focus on japanese manga style. It is influenced by the Japanese manga business model. This has nothing to do with some silent rivalry between Kodansha and Marvel or whatever. The class focuses on the japanese business model in comparison to the american business model for graphic novels. outside of that, the development of one's story is based more on northrop's experience as a screenwriter and someone who has published his own manga in japan through Sueisha.

In terms of Mr. Davis's professional work in getting hollywood in on great stories, his position is that of a producer. Movies work really slow due to bureacracy. If Battle Angel takes 2 decades to make, these things as I understand are beyond his influence. The same goes with Berserk and Train Man.

Emerson college, kudos for them for having a graphics novels class also. I'd go there if i lived in boston.

But anyway, as a past student and a person who coughed up cash for this class, it's probably the best class I've ever taken in terms of understanding how the business works and how it works compared to the American counterparts.

I don't think it's wrong that many Americans are making an attempt to draw manga through let's say Tokyopop's rising stars of manga, but many things fall short from the story and the experience the creators have in sequential art. Out of all the domestic mangas I see produced, I really only like Drama-con which I believe has sound art and a descent story, or at least one worth putting some money towards. Again the talent pool for graphic novelist in the US is lacking just because we really don't hear Stan Lee living as a millionaire or what not, yet in Japan Rumioko Takahashi is the 5th richest person in Japan. Again something that is possible due to the japanese business model for graphic novels.

But why am i defending this stuff,

check it out, ask northrop some questions, drop by the open house, or I believe he's running a panel at Anime LA. I think it's worth the money.
Crawly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:35 pm Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:
Wait...did anyone else notice the mention of a Berserk screenplay?

I did. Can't say I'm particularly thrilled at the idea. Anytime I hear "American adaption" I cringe.
Elroy McGee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:16 pm Reply with quote
The previous classes featured the following guest speakers and more. This time, selected students will be pitching to a major movie studio. Previous students are now interns at publishers and more.

Previous guests:

Ash Brannon, co-director of the Hollywood animated movies “Surf’s Up” and “Toy Story 2”
Hikaru Sasahara, CEO of Digital Manga, which among many manga titles, is co-publisher of “Berserk” manga
Dallas Middaugh, Associate Editor, Del Rey manga publishing
Eric Calderon, heads creative business development for the Japanese animation studio Gonzo
Maki Terashima-Furuta, President of the U.S. subsidiary of Production I.G., Japanese anime studio
IJeremy Ross, Tokyopop, the publisher of OEL manga
Eugene Son has written for animated shows such as “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles”, “ATOM” and “Duel Masters”
Robert Napton of Bandai America

You may want to take this class because its a multi-billion dollar industry that has promoted and encouraged creativity throughout its history. Storytelling that is uninhibited, uncensored, and without restrictions. Its not about copying, but learning and applying where you want to your own goals, whether it is creative or business.

Why else take it? Maybe you have:

Interest in manga/anime and a curiosity as to why it is successful

A desire to create your own story and enter the industry
(for instance, besides a writer and artist, you could be an editor, executive, voice artist)

Have not found a medium that meets your needs

Like us you have a love for anime and/or manga

When should you
start?
NOW – anime/manga is rapidly entering the US mainstream. It’s the fastest growth area of US fiction
publishing. Huge Hollywood movies are being made from manga and anime, like “Battle Angel Alita” ,
(James Cameron directing) “Speed Racer” (directed by the makers of “The Matrix”) and last week’s
mega-hit release “Transformers”. There are many opportunities in this industry if you can prove
your talent. Such a window of opportunity can’t last forever. What we do in this class is give you the
means to be competitive and the resources to become successful provided that you work hard and
are committed to do your best. By the time the rest of America catches on, it may be too late to have
such easy direct contact with editors and publishers available now.

An awesome value for the small money involved. Hope this helps!
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
From reading all these posts, I think that these classes are more suitable for people who have some experience in illustration or creative writing or both. Since Bertle615 described what is it like, I don't think it was meant for kids who wants to draw so-called "Manga style".
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
From reading all these posts, I think that these classes are more suitable for people who have some experience in illustration or creative writing or both. Since Bertle615 described what is it like, I don't think it was meant for kids who wants to draw so-called "Manga style".
I'd say one needs an engaging story before going off to draw anything.

I've seen too many manga with great art and a wasted potential from a sluggish and paper-thin plot.

I think NaNoWriMo would be a great exercise in organization (starting pre-November with outlines and notes, and preliminary research using Wikipedia and such), scheduling, creativity, and basic practice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1