• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Editorial: An Open Letter to the Industry

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vortextk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm sorry, but unless I have proof (even a rough number would be okay) of figures, it's an uncitable argument.

Funny, cute cartoons that have no relevance to anything aside, then go ask Zac. I don't need to cite my source because I have none. As I said, I take it on good faith that one of the people running this site with much more inside information and a better general outlook on anime as a whole would not lie(and in a recent article where the company that dubbed Haruhi mentioned "if it would've sold 1/3 as well compared to being downloaded")

It was said in this thread that Haruhi did not sell very well and sorry if you need to see numbers so badly, the argument still stands with or without them. If you want them so bad because you think it might change something, you could ask or look yourself.

Quote:
Anyway, look Zac, I pay for a movie. I don't pay for 15 minutes of a conglomerate of Ads and Movie Trailers where i'm not gonna like most of them. To me, I feel like i'm being cheated out of part of my ticket price, the snacks I buy, and my time.

And as far as that goes, you would probably be paying more without them. Maybe 2 bucks, maybe 5, maybe 10, who knows. Without advertisements, you would be paying more money for everything and some money for things that were once free. I'm sorry if the world can't be perfectly made to your specifications but 15 minutes of previews isn't that big of a hardship is it?
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:11 am Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
As I said, I take it on good faith that one of the people running this site with much more inside information and a better general outlook on anime as a whole would not lie (and in a recent article where the company that dubbed Haruhi mentioned "if it would've sold 1/3 as well compared to being downloaded")

Man, you didn't understand the comic. Tsk tsk tsk.

One can claim "X sold poorly, like Y of the amount." Thats being vague.

Another can claim "Look, we had XX,XXX units, and as of XX-XX, we only sold Y of the amount we hoped to ship out." Thats being abit more specific.

Being vague doesn't help out the problem.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:36 am Reply with quote
makomk wrote:
It's worse than that. In many ways, being able to block the illegal distribution of copyrighted material is the same (on a technical level) as being able to block, say, video evidence of a totalitarian government plotting to round up and torture dissidents. The necessary technical and legal restrictions to ensure that fansubbers can always be traced could also be (for example) used by the Burmese government to find and punish people leaking video of them beating protestors to the world news.

Sure, there's a vast, gaping ethical gap between the two, but the technology doesn't care about ethics. This is why some of the more extreme ideas suggested to block piracy make civil libertarians very, very nervous. Of course, this hasn't stopped certain of the big media corporations trying to go through with ideas that would be more damaging than the piracy they're intended to stop.
like I said eariler they already can be traced anyway so civil liberties are already a moot point. The Burmese military junta were only able to isolate their internal network, but still pictures got out by other means, sat phones and the like. Granted it's a two edged sword, but it has to be addressed and on a globle scale. The globle economy is starting to demand it. It's interesting that Japan is known for being a big partner in this concept of a global economy, but when it comes to their cultural exports they still seem to live and work in isolationism. Besides all the fansubber's ISP has to do is pull the plug on them. Jobs a good'un. Wink

I'm sure I have said this in the past in other similar threads, but my campaign against fansubs and bootlegs is based solely on the concept that the craftman should get his recompence for his craft, and that fansubs did not allow this to happen. I will state here and now that I was never against the anime industry getting together with these young idealists, with internet savy, and pooling ideas and resources together to come up with a business plan and platform that would mean all would be happy, and that includes that craftman who created the work in the first place. the Japanese companies could do no worst then contacting these people not to necessarily shut them down, though they might want to do that, but to ask them, lets join up and make this a profitable venture for us both? Some Japanese companies probably won't do this because they have a tendancy for being control freaks, wanting everything just in their room, so to speak, and some will not want to reward these people for being so clever in their crime, and I can understand that, but they're not seeing the bigger picture by doing so and could suffer for it. Hell they're suffering for it already! I just wish they could see that. Justin? Anyway for firing that idea into the windows of the studios and distributors of Japan? It worked with pirate radio here in the UK. I can't see why something similar couldn't happen with pirate anime globally.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:52 am; edited 2 times in total
-Z-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
-Z- wrote:
Let's make a few assumptions. Average series length is 24, average 4 episodes per US dvd @ $25 per dvd. So $150 for an entire series.

What rational human being would want to spend $150 on watching on buying an anime series when they can watch, as well as download, it all at similar quality level for free.

Or for a much cheaper price. Don't forget to add thin-paks into that equation.
They haven't been mentioned here (that i remember...what w/35+pgs) but there have been many a time someone has said: i'll just wait for the thin-pak.

What with it costing 3x less than that in some cases. Or even the full disc boxsets are cheaper than that around $60-70.

Thinpaks and boxsets are a moot point. The only time they're any good is when it's a series that had not been fansubbed yet.

Otherwise the time it takes to hit the market is too great. Fansubs will have been on the net for far too long a time period for it to do any good.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Man, you didn't understand the comic. Tsk tsk tsk.

What's there to understand? I don't know figures, the people telling me them are being vague, therefore no hard facts are being presented. Yes, I know this. If ONLY the company had wished it would have sold more, eh, I might agree with you. But that isn't the only place I've heard this. If you want someone to argue with, take it up with Zac or Tempest or anyone who might actually know the figures but have not said anything specific.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quote
-Z- wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
-Z- wrote:
Let's make a few assumptions. Average series length is 24, average 4 episodes per US dvd @ $25 per dvd. So $150 for an entire series.

What rational human being would want to spend $150 on watching on buying an anime series when they can watch, as well as download, it all at similar quality level for free.

They haven't been mentioned here (that i remember...what w/35+pgs) but there have been many a time someone has said: i'll just wait for the thin-pak.

What with it costing 3x less than that in some cases. Or even the full disc boxsets are cheaper than that around $60-70.

Thinpaks and boxsets are a moot point. The only time they're any good is when it's a series that had not been fansubbed yet.

Otherwise the time it takes to hit the market is too great. Fansubs will have been on the net for far too long a time period for it to do any good.

Not to mention not all series ever get a complete collection let alone a thin pack. So it's not even guaranteed that a series will get one. And even if they do it's as has been mentioned usually too late because if the person wasn't going to pay before and got the fansubs I doubt they'll suddenly go out and even buy the thin pack later after they've seen the series.
Redd the Sock

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Kyyrao wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure anybody in the entertainment industry looking at this thread would see a number of people say that they just want to sample the show, and then question how many would then come up with new excuses not to buy it. They fear that if they streamed shows with commercials, fans would still go to the fansubs to get copies of the show without commercials. That if you say you'll pay online for episodes, you still won't. This kind of things happens a lot online

If there is no attempt whatever on the part of the industry to develop a real presence online for their consumers it does not count as avoiding a failed business venture, only as avoiding a business opportunity. If you never build it, your customers will -never- come.

Quote:
Beyond that, some sugestions arent' feasible, getting anime on TV in a rapid pace for example would require changing, dropping, or ignoring any number of national and international copyright, distribution, and broadcast laws.

So due to the development of an entirely new technology that has largely rendered our old concepts of information distribution on a global scale meaningless we may have to reform the way our governments approach things? Seems that with an entire industry on the verge of collapse now would be the best possible time to make the case for some newer and more logical trade agreements to cover this area.

Quote:
There's no point for a business to follow the demand of those that either don't pay money for a product or pay very little, they want to meet the demand of those spending the green.

There are plenty of people throughout this topic history, myself included, who have stated very clearly we are either already spending money on anime or would love to spend more on anime, but the products we are trying to purchase are simply not available. American movie studios realized years ago that making the consumer wait for a Hollywood movie to come out on DVD had a simple formula of time versus sales where the longer the DVD release took the lower sales could be expected to be. When you are in the business of marketing and distributing something that is based largely on pop culture it is a fatal business flaw to move slowly in getting your product to the consumer while it is still hot, and anime suffers from one of the longest time delays of any modern pop culture product.

Point #2: Sorry, much larger and more inportant industries are trying to get goernmental laws off their backs without success. What passes for North American anime distribution wouldn't even be a blip on the radar.

Points 1, and 3: You miss the point: those were examples of they built it and they still didn't come. It's easy to, in the abstract when it's all in theory, say you will pay for downloads. The question is will you follow through when it becomes reality. People said they'd buy Haruhi when it came out on DVD, but apparantly they didn't [in numbers as large as those that said they'd buy it], so the company did it's best to meet fan demand, and got a list of new excuses for it. Hope their families can eat excuses.

As I said, that's what they fear: that they'll phase out established inferstructure for DVD production, and spend a lot of money building new inferstructurens and technoligies based on the demands of fansubbers, only to find it was all rationalization on the fansubbers part for justifying illegal downloading. I'm not making acusations on anybody, but this is how a for profit company would see things. Honestly, I don't have any real way for people like you to prove your intentions without taking some smaller steps first to prove your intent.

And I'm not saying the internet is impossible either in the future, just that whatever model is used needs to be based on something other than fansubber ideals and potentially false promises.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Talon87's friend wrote:
Haruhi DVD 1 sold 60,000 units in America (retail 4 episode DVD/$20), by Bandai's own accounting. In comparison, it sold 80,000 units in Japan (retail 2 episode DVD/$40).

Hon'ya-chan wrote:

I'm sorry, but unless I have proof (even a rough number would be okay) of figures, it's an uncitable argument.

The best metric available to the public for the state of the anime industry is Vidscan. Anyone who pays for access can access it. However access is prohibitively expensive, costing tens of thousands of dollars a year. Nonetheless, since it is publicly accessible, I consider it a valid proof.

As I previously stated in this very thread, according to Vidscan, Anime sales (# of units sold) are down almost 30% in 2007 YTD compared to 2006 YTD. 2006 was also down compared to 2005. The GDH VP recently publicly stated these numbers as well.

As for Haruhi, Vidscan reports about 6500 units of volume 1 sold in the first month, split very nicely 50/50 between the LE and the regular edition. By the end of September this was up to 12,000 units, but with the split more 60/40.

Volume 2 did about 6000 units in the first month (60/40 split) and 8400 units by the end of September.

On average, 1st month sales are about 80% of the lifetime total, so we can see that Haruhi is staying very green, selling units well into the 2nd and 3rd month.

Vidscan typically accounts for 50-66% of total sales (since many sources don't report to Vidscan), for a title like Haruhi, I'd expect that % to be closer to 50% because it would sell very strongly at specialty shops and online, which tend not to report.

Given that the report I'm looking at is 45 days old, I'd say there might have been another 2000 units of V1 sold, which would bring the vidscan total to 14,000. Let's make it 15,000 to be liberal.

We'll double that to account for non-reporting and we get 30,000 units total.

So, with an *extremely* liberal estimate, Haruhi volume 1 may have sold 30,000 units. Personally I highly doubt it's sold that many, no way has it sold 60,000.

We've heard first hand that Haruhi's sales were "disappointing," and that it sold below expectations. While I've provided a rough, high-ball estimate of what Haruhi may have sold, we have no idea what Bandai actually expected to sell.

But if they sold 60,000 units, I guarantee they wouldn't be disappointed. Perhaps they shipped 60k units? Perhaps they sold 60k units total over all 4 volumes?

For comparison, Vidscan reports about 80k sales for Afro Samurai. For a title like Afro, Vidscan is likely to be more accurate, so at most the total sales would be 120k units. Afro Samurai is obviously a huge exception, it's *EXTREMELY* rare for anime to break 75k units in North America. A typical series doesn't even do 10k per volume.

Interestingly enough, while no one will publicly admit this, DVD sales for Afro were "disappointing," however the TV numbers (available from Nielson, and previously reported in ANN's news) were very encouraging. So success on one end and disappointment on the other, but I don't know what was the primary motivator for Afro, TV viewership or DVD sales...

Someone's going to shoot me for giving out this much vidscan info.

Quote:
re: ads

I agree with you that if you're paying for something, you have a very reasonable complaint if you don't like the ads. Personally, I don't mind trailers (ads) before a movie at a theater, but the ads for non-related items (ie: cars) do bother me.

However when dealing with "free content"where you haven't paid any money, I think you're being unreasonable. It's perfectly reasonable for you to say that you don't like the ads, and that you don't want to see them, but I think you should not only accept that they're there, but respect the fact that it's those ads that make it possible for the content to be produced and given away for "free." In otherwords, you should actually be somewhat grateful to the advertisers, even if their ads bother you.

If it weren't for advertisers, we wouldn't be having this conversation because this website wouldn't exist as it is today.

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Redd the Sock wrote:

People said they'd buy Haruhi when it came out on DVD, but apparantly they didn't [in numbers as large as those that said they'd buy it], so the company did it's best to meet fan demand, and got a list of new excuses for it.
That is such a cliche use of a general term "People said..." or "I heard from somewhere...", etc to promote one's arguments. Wish everyone would stop using a vague reference as if it's a fact as one of the poster had said earlier. Who are those people? If a thousand people posted on all the various forums saying they are going to buy, then assume you'll sell 1000 copies. Did they sell more than that number? It's always the vocal minorities in every issues that makes everyone think something is actually bigger than it is.

Let's stick to facts with appropriate references unless it's non-specific.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

As for Haruhi, Vidscan reports about 6500 units of volume 1 sold in the first month, split very nicely 50/50 between the LE and the regular edition. By the end of September this was up to 12,000 units, but with the split more 60/40.

Volume 2 did about 6000 units in the first month (60/40 split) and 8400 units by the end of September.

On average, 1st month sales are about 80% of the lifetime total, so we can see that Haruhi is staying very green, selling units well into the 2nd and 3rd month.

Vidscan typically accounts for 50-66% of total sales (since many sources don't report to Vidscan), for a title like Haruhi, I'd expect that % to be closer to 50% because it would sell very strongly at specialty shops and online, which tend not to report.

Given that the report I'm looking at is 45 days old, I'd say there might have been another 2000 units of V1 sold, which would bring the vidscan total to 14,000. Let's make it 15,000 to be liberal.

We'll double that to account for non-reporting and we get 30,000 units total.

So, with an *extremely* liberal estimate, Haruhi volume 1 may have sold 30,000 units. Personally I highly doubt it's sold that many, no way has it sold 60,000.

We've heard first hand that Haruhi's sales were "disappointing," and that it sold below expectations. While I've provided a rough, high-ball estimate of what Haruhi may have sold, we have no idea what Bandai actually expected to sell.

But if they sold 60,000 units, I guarantee they wouldn't be disappointed. Perhaps they shipped 60k units? Perhaps they sold 60k units total over all 4 volumes?

So it looks like this is a case of the company's "expectations" outstripping actual sales - based on those numbers, Haruhi did pretty well for an average title.

Based on what Bandai and other parties have said, I'm going to assume "disappointed" means they overproduced the title and didn't get the sell-through they were expecting. That's generally what happens when you see the sales numbers and they seem OK but the distributor is saying otherwise.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:11 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
-Z- wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
-Z- wrote:

Not to mention not all series ever get a complete collection let alone a thin pack. So it's not even guaranteed that a series will get one. And even if they do it's as has been mentioned usually too late because if the person wasn't going to pay before and got the fansubs I doubt they'll suddenly go out and even buy the thin pack later after they've seen the series.

So for the people who watch fansubs, and want to buy the series but rather not pay $100+ for it still don't add up? It's not a moot point- its been said many times that the thin-paks and boxsets have shot the industry in the foot because many people wait for the cheaper releases of shows.

Why pay so much when you can take at least $50 off the price. Who cares if its been fansubbed or not- people buy those sets to save money.

A majority of titles do- even the one thats don't sell well. Even if the show comes in a non-thin pak collection its still cheaper than buying the singles seperatly.

Heck, even the bundle paks of the singles are cheaper.

I've met people who won't buy either way. But many times like its been said over the numerous amounts of fansub debates it the price. Thin-paks and collections offer a cheaper price thats more afforable.

If UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie can get a thin-pak then any pretty much any title can get some sort of set. So long as the comapny isn't going out of bussiness. Wink

Zac wrote:

Based on what Bandai and other parties have said, I'm going to assume "disappointed" means they overproduced the title and didn't get the sell-through they were expecting. That's generally what happens when you see the sales numbers and they seem OK but the distributor is saying otherwise.

Just what I thought. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:25 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
*bunch of happy little numbers

Thank You tempest for providing the numbers. It gives a good idea of one title.

Quote:

If it weren't for advertisers, we wouldn't be having this conversation because this website wouldn't exist as it is today.

-t

At least the ads are restricted to Banner ads up above and below. Not freakin' pop-ups, or redirects in order to view a thread.

Zac wrote:

So I would have to assume by default that the USA Today Book List might also be rigged to a point. It's showing copies shipped rather than copies bought?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Michalyn wrote:

I started thinking of what was one of the first things mentioned in the article--what I'm calling "US Anime Industry Prehistory", that time which older fans seem to recall with pride when it was next to impossible to obtain anime and only obtainable through VHS of questionable quality. For some reason the "demise" of the industry has been repeatedly linked to the new generation's sense of "entitlement". I fail though to see how older fans were any less "entitled" than new fans are. We had a situation where there was a demand for Japanese anime but no US businesses to meet that supply. So people subbed - illegally (and unethically depending on your viewpoint).

Yet, somehow people seem to be seeing demands for fast releases as a symptom of something bad compared to the good old days when people "waited their turn". But taking the Apple analogy, isn't this just an issue of efficiency--of one thief being mad that another thief was able to not only steal faster than him but to also grab a lot of iphones and distribute them to his friends? Well, if you're the slow thief it makes sense to welcome the industry doesn't it? Because no matter what they charge you, the opportunity cost for you as a slow thief is still higher. To the slow thief, the industry will always look like it's at a high point in its development simply because it can produce what he wants faster and cheaper than he can do it himself.

What I'm trying to get at is there seems to be an assumption buried in the main article and on the parts of the "old" fans
that there was a time when fansubs were not just a symptom of a complacent industry but that they served a noble purpose as an exposure tool or either represented such a small black market that they had no effect on the japanese industry. It's even been brought up a few times that while the fansubs might have started out as providing exposure, the American Industry has developed enough that fansubbing is doing more harm than good. My question is based on what?

Do yourself a favor & pick up a copy of either Devil Hunter Yohko or Megazone-the volume with the commentary. I'd opt for Megazone--the commentary was much more insightful on the issue. Hear how fansubbers had to go thru all sorts of hoops to get their hands on that copy (often an original Japanese product, not something downloaded/copied off tv, though sometimes yes, a tv tape.) Talk of fanclub meetings, etc. The joy of actually being able to obtain a legitimate copy once companies started releasing titles here.
Oops. THere you go. THe end product in that day was to promote anime in general & that title. Once that title had an official form, the fansubs were usually abandonded. I wasn't into anime in those days, but I know well--the sci-fi club I belonged to & the secret "telosian transmissions"-our codeword for "someone got a tape of a Star Trek ep from someone & we're watching it!" (this was around 1978 when a vhs machine in every home was unheard of & we were all very much at the whims of the local channels & their syndication schedule). Because if the Sony Betamax/Disney court case, it was all hush-hush.

I don't see this in the modern downloaders. THey don't seem anxious to buy any of the titles they're watching (Honestly all you who insist you buy the good stuff--what's the percentage? Half? A Quarter? Xanas, you're big on this one, aren't you? What is the reject percentage of what you pass on vs what you buy? How much do you watch before you decide not to buy? The whole thing? If you're not buiying it, why are you wasting your time on a bad product?) They're more "cool-free anime!"

Aren't there already laws against product tampering? Couldn't the anime companies go after fansubbers on the pretext of they altered the original content without the owner's express permission(adding subtitles)? If the law is weak, give it some teeth--say a year in prison & $5,000 per product(Naruto alone could bankrupt a lot of people), but only apply it to offering for download or sale so it only affects the fansubbers & bootleggers (THe music industry discovered it's not good to piss off the fans themselves). Japan could press for other countries to pass laws along these lines if they don't exist, but I would think somewhere there has to be something about product tampering. To assuage the consciences of the politicians, they could give a warnign window-this law takes effect in 6 mos-shut down your websites & after that Japan could have anyone based in contries supporting them prosecuted. It shouldn't even take a large amount of prosecutions--just a few to show they mean it. THis would also give the original companies the change to case-by-case it & ignore/grant permission to whoever they want (blind or deaf svcs)
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Haruhi's numbers sound that bad (comparing to Afro Samurai as I have nothing else to go by). Even though I thought it was awesome I think I can see why it'd be less popular than something like that. I think this is probably a case where the hype was just a lot bigger than it really should have been. I guess you can blame the fans for making a big deal out of a show that many of them didn't buy, on the other hand a lot did buy the show and I think they just weren't able to convince other people with word of mouth. It's not uncommon for highly rated titles to have low sales numbers, from what I can tell anyway.

I'd like to hear Haruhi did better than expectations but it's difficult to do that when expectations are high.
Case

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
But evidently you feel that you yourself do. Oh but I forgot, you're in buisness school. Rolling Eyes

No, I am in business school. B-u-s-i-n-e-s-s.

What academic or professional background do you have that entitles you to rolleyes at my education?

You apparently haven't even used the word enough to know how it is spelled. (Wrong all four times in your last post, for the public record.)

Having worked on business plans and many other pieces of business writing myself over the years, at the very least, I would never misspell basic business vocabulary the way you are. Completely force of habit. Food for thought.

Last edited by Case on Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 37 of 50