• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Twelve Kingdoms

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Has there been any word on the status of the next book? The last one came out fairly recently (in terms of book releases at least) and though I didn't expect them to have a very definitive time for the next release so soon afterwards but I also didn't expect not to have any information whatsoever on it. Anybody know anything that I don't?
NGE1113

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Both amazon.com and Borders have the release date for the second volume as March 2008. However, I can't find a more reliable source (such as Right Stuf) to back that up (heck, even TokyoPop's website says nothing). I'd heavily suggest taking that release date with a grain of salt for now.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote
If I recall when the releases were initially announced it was stated they'd be 1 each year. I imagine the release dates currently posted are just loose dates taking that in to account. As with anything this far in advance I would just assume those dates were inaccurate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
Initially, they were going to be every six months, but then it became annual. I don't recall this being mentioned when it was announced, but someone with ties to Tokyopop mentioned it somewhere.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:20 am Reply with quote
The Tokyopop catalog my bookstore got says vol 2 is to be released this fall, but those dates are likely to change. I'll post more details on that if I can find some.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, despite discrepancies it's at least reassuring to know that there is a general idea when the next books are coming out instead of just an assumption that they might come out next year or something.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Confirmed with the distributor at work, and yeah, date's looking like March now. Pity since it was originally planned for October. Oh well, here's to hoping the wait will result in a better adaption of Sea of Wind than Sea of Shadow got.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
What was wrong with Sea of Shadow (spoiler free, please)?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:02 am Reply with quote
I didn't think there was anything wrong with it. However translating isn't an exact science and even a handful of professionals can argue about how to translate a line a number of different ways and not come up with a definitive answer, this is especially true when going from many Asian languages to English. As a result of that there will of course be people who feel the way something in the book was interpreted was incorrect, it would frankly be impossible to please them all.

Not only do they have to worry about how to translate each line, but it then also has to be rewritten to work in english as a direct translation would sound like it was written by a two year old. So of course that's going to cause stylistic changes and that is also something people familiar with the source material may dislike. Translation of a novel is a huge undertaking and even when done with great care it will still ruffle feathers since such translations can be handled in so many ways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:52 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Pretty much all of what Keonyn, but mainly the stuff about direct translation/sounding like a two year old. I love 12 Kingdoms, but the Tokyopop adaption practically gave me a headache to read. I just really couldn't get into it like when I regularly read because it read like a direct translation to me, making it almost unbearable to read. I have problems when a translated work reads like a translated work. I rather it be I can't tell it's a translated work. I felt like I was reading the illiad again or something akin to it. I'm fussy with translated books.
CMB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote
I did not think it was a bad translation and I found it to be a very good read. Smile
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:36 am Reply with quote
CMB wrote:
I did not think it was a bad translation and I found it to be a very good read. Smile

Indeed. I loved the first novel. A very engrossing read, easily the best novel I've read in a long time. I loved it so much that I just had to see the anime for myself, and I actually finished the anime before I went back to finish the second 1/2 the book! It's a shame that it will be so long for the next one to be released. I hope it doesn't end up being 1 every year. I'll lose my patience for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first novel being sold for $5 at this con I went to. Considering that the book is $18 USD & $21.50 CDN, this was a steal, and I couldn't resist getting it.

I haven't read it yet, but given the praise this title is getting (whether it's the novels or the anime), it won't be long. At least I hope it won't. Confused
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:12 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Pretty much all of what Keonyn, but mainly the stuff about direct translation/sounding like a two year old. I love 12 Kingdoms, but the Tokyopop adaption practically gave me a headache to read. I just really couldn't get into it like when I regularly read because it read like a direct translation to me, making it almost unbearable to read. I have problems when a translated work reads like a translated work. I rather it be I can't tell it's a translated work. I felt like I was reading the illiad again or something akin to it. I'm fussy with translated books.

I actually met the president of Tokyopop and congratulated him on his company's work with this title. I thought the translation effort was one of the best I had ever seen, because it managed to be comprehensive, give each character a certain personality, and yet still retain the chinese mythological flavor of the original. Perhaps you were bothered by the liberal use of Kanji in the translation? Even so, they managed to introduce the Kanji in a way that it felt like an unbroken part of the text. Perhaps you were bothered by the fact that they translated "youma" as "demons"? A good stylistic choice, if you ask me. It retains the meaning of the original, but doesn't needlessly throw a new word at you.

If you are looking for a good story that unfortunately DID suffer a bad translation at the hands of Tokyopop, look no further than Crest of the Stars. It reads like the text revisions were made by a middle-school girl.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:59 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
I actually met the president of Tokyopop and congratulated him on his company's work with this title. I thought the translation effort was one of the best I had ever seen, because it managed to be comprehensive, give each character a certain personality, and yet still retain the chinese mythological flavor of the original. Perhaps you were bothered by the liberal use of Kanji in the translation? Even so, they managed to introduce the Kanji in a way that it felt like an unbroken part of the text. Perhaps you were bothered by the fact that they translated "youma" as "demons"? A good stylistic choice, if you ask me. It retains the meaning of the original, but doesn't needlessly throw a new word at you.

If you are looking for a good story that unfortunately DID suffer a bad translation at the hands of Tokyopop, look no further than Crest of the Stars. It reads like the text revisions were made by a middle-school girl.

Nope, none of those, and I did like how they introduced various kanji. Like I said in my earlier post, it read like a direct translation to me, and had none of the fluidity a well written story usually has. Any other book and I would of go fed up and found something better to read, but my love of the anime makes me push on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9