• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote
i find the hardest thing to do (besides waiting until march) is to try and pick a favortie volume or scene. there are too many wonderful, loving and powerful scenes in every volume.

LydiaDianne wrote:
I do not like that old maid! Period! To say the things that she said! spoiler[Calling Rin a whore! Telling Kureno that he betrayed Akito and that the Zodiac only exist for Akito and should die for Akito. How sick and twisted is that? No wonder Akito is so screwed up!]

i'm pretty sure that she was actually talking about Ren not Rin. she saidspoiler[do you want that whore to win? in 17, you see Akito and Ren arguing about the bonds and the curse, so this line ivokes thoughts about a contest or someting between the two of them]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:53 am Reply with quote
You may be right suna_suna. The old hag may be talking about spoiler[Ren]. I just assumed (Yeah, I know) that she was talking about spoiler[Rin] since Kureno spoiler[had just freed Rin from the Cat's room.]
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
So, I'm not sure what we can do next to keep this lovely thread going.
It's Onigiri Deathmatch time! Twisted Evil (Kyo's idea!)

No, actually, I'm kind of serious. Maybe we can talk about favorite scenes or scenes we'd like to see but would never work. (Like an attempt to actually do Kyo's idea or Shigure handing a manuscript in on time to his poor, suffering editor.)

Or would that go too much into the fanfiction realm?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:51 am Reply with quote
Hmm, yes we do have to think of something to keep the thread going, it's already lasted for as long as it has, which has been over a year now Shocked I'm going to have to update the stats of the thread when my semester is over. On top of that, we're almost to 100 pages in the thread.

I've just thought of an idea, and it may get us to know a little bit more about how you as the reader of Fruits Basket came to know of and how well you know it now. I'll have this out for now until I can come up with something better. This is a little FB survey, and please try to be at least somewhat detailed about it too.

1. How did you find out about Fruits Basket?

2. How long have you known about the series?

3. Do you prefer the anime, manga, or both?

4. What media do you own of the series?

5. Who is your favorite character?

6. What is your favorite scene/storyline?

1. I found out about the series when I was living back in Japan, and when I was flipping through the channels I happened to catch the series on television, and the episode I was watching was when spoiler[Ritsu came to visit ]Laughing

2. Since I saw the series while it was airing back in Japan, I've known about the series for five to six years now.

3. I would prefer the manga over the anime with the storyline it has provided when compared to the anime, as well as the fact that there was closure to characters' storylines as well as developed relationships and new characters.

4. I have the entire anime series on DVD, as well as the entire manga collection, add on the fanbooks that have been released.

5. Without a doubt, Shigure. This guy is too funny to pass over, but his character really took a turn in the later volumes. It was still fun reading when he would come up, because by then he had become unpredictable.

6. I think the most beautiful storyline I have ever come across in the Fruits Basket series was the love story between Tohru's parents: Katsuya and Kyoko. spoiler[Love was a 100% factor here, only to be taken away in the end.]
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful idea.

1. i first saw the series when i was a freshman three years ago, at my school's anime club. we watched i think through episode 14.

2. since then, but i have grown to like the series more and more

3. the mnaga for the obvious reason of the longer story, and i also find the anime to go a bit too fast sometimes.

4. i own all four dvd's of the anime and all the manga thats has been released so far, plus the Cat book.

5. My favorite character is the favorite character, Kyo. among the tragic stories of the zodiac, his is the longest and the saddest. and maybe i'm just a sucker for such a powerful romance.

6. my favorite scene is in volume 13 when spoiler[Tohru is worrying about kyo leaver her behind and she grabs his shirt and he turns, holds her hand, and asks her whats wrong. volume 13 is when you can really start to see just how much they love each other. plus tohru is so cute when she blushes. ]
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:47 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
When I first got into anime, I started with Funimation titles almost exclusively that had Laura Bailey in them, because I loved her voice as Rayne in Blood Rayne. I passed on Fruits Basket initially because I thought it sounded a little stupid. (Boy was I ever wrong!) Plus, at the time, I couldn't afford the box set which was the only version around. My sister bought it and watched it, then got me to and I found that I loved the series. However, I still haven't bought it because I've never liked the box and the DVD cases that it used actually destroy the discs. I'm hoping to pick up the thinpack for Christmas (maybe) though.

fighterholic wrote:
I'm not really sure because I don't really seem to timestamp my memories. I guess since around '04-'05 when the first boxset came out.

fighterholic wrote:
While the anime has some extra material and special points in it's favor, I've come to vastly prefer the manga. I really love the characters that get introduced later and the subplot that was cut out of the "boy in the hat."

fighterholic wrote:
Just the first three volumes of the series sadly. I've been reading my sister's manga. Anime smile + sweatdrop

I do plan to get the rest of the manga and the anime for my own though. (I'm just lazy and unwilling to spend lots of money most of the time.)

fighterholic wrote:
Despite my Machi fixation, Kisa is my favorite. I really relate to her problems and I adore her sweet personality. She's kind and gentle without being overly so, has a deep inner strength, and is very loving but not so much that she seems to be smothering anyone. She's a very human character and adorable. I do believe Machi and Tohru are a very close though second and third though.

fighterholic wrote:
Well, although there have been a number of extremely moving scenes and storylines, I think it really is the early arc with Kisa's introduction. There's just something about the scene where Tohru is talking about how spoiler[hard it is to tell someone you love, her mother/Kisa's mother, that you're being picked on. Her words really struck home for me and Kisa's reaction of turning back, crying, cradling Tohru's injured hand, was very powerful for me.]

I'd say my favorite romantic scene so far is Yuki spoiler[telling Machi he'd walk in the snow with her.]

Comments have been spoiler-gaurded, just to be safe. Remember, friends don't let friends spoil manga.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
And here a couple of weeks ago, y'all were so eager to discuss vol. 18! Wink What happened?

I really don't remember. I probably saw it in Animerica, then at Suncoast. I know that I didn't like Funi at the time because of DB(Z), but obviously I bit and I love the series.

Oh, probably close to 8 or 10 years now...???

I love them both. While the anime doesn't really conclude everything, I do enjoy it. My favorite part in that is when Tohru sees Kyo's True Self and spoiler[pretty shook up. But when she collapses at her mother's grave and Hana-chan physically keeps Arisa from touching Tohru because Hana-chan KNOWS that the only way that Tohru, Kyo and Yuki will really win is if Tohru gets up and goes on.]

I have quite a few but my current ones are when Rin spoiler[breaks down and takes refuge in Tohru's motherly arms like so many of the other Sohma's] and when Hiro spoiler[ is looking at his new baby sister and promising to take care of her.]

DVDs and manga. I don't have any art books. I really should look into that.

Urg. Too many to count! I'm fickle. I like them all...well, not Akito, Ren or that old Maid. But, my all time favorite would have to be Yuki, now that I think about it. I think that he has had the biggest personal growth out of all of the Sohmas.

So hard! Again, there are so many that I like but I would have to say, that for right now it is the "Sort of Cinderella." Because that led to certain characters realizing things about themselves and leading to other things. But, now that I think about it more, it would also have to be where Yuki quietly broke the piece of chalk spoiler[so that it would not be "Perfect" and hurt Machi.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:38 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
And here a couple of weeks ago, y'all were so eager to discuss vol. 18! What happened?

well, I think for one if we go beyond what has been released so far more than likely only one or two people will be able to post about it, myself included.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:49 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
And here a couple of weeks ago, y'all were so eager to discuss vol. 18! What happened?

well, I think for one if we go beyond what has been released so far more than likely only one or two people will be able to post about it, myself included.

Vol. 18 is out. I have it myself.
murph76

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:03 am Reply with quote
Hi all!

I had a thought on keeping the discussion rolling along. Maybe we could discuss the relationships between characters. For example, for week one we could discuss Tohru and Yuki's relationship, then Tohru and Kyo, Tohru and Shigure, Yuki and Kyo, and so on.

I think it would give us plenty of material to keep the thread rolling another year. Plus, I think it will be different from the character discussions because we'll be talking about two characters, how they interact, how they change from chapter 1 to chapter 100 ... you get the idea.

Anyhow, it's just a thought and it might be a bad one at that. Very Happy I just wanted to throw it out and see what you think.

Fighter, I will reply to your questions soon. It's late and I'm tired.

-Murph
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:01 am Reply with quote
Oh, I love these kinds of questions!

I don't remember the specifics, but what I do remember is that I saw it advertised in an anime magazine, and maybe somewhere online, when the anime was first released. I remember being intrigued by all the animals that the girl (Tohru) was holding and being curious about the girl and the three men often posed around her (Kyo, Yuki, and Shigure, of course). But the title weirded me out for some reason, so I actually never did further research on it until I stumbled upon a fan's web site and looked through stills that they had from the anime, and they looked hilarious! I particularly remember seeing one of Kyo with the get-up that he wears when he makes leek soup for Tohru. That sold me on it, and I asked my parents for the first two volumes for my birthday, but before my birthday, I went out and actually bought the first volume of the manga and read it, and I loved it so much I went and bought up to volume 4 since that was latest American release at the time.

Well, I can't remember when I first saw the advertisements for the anime, but I guess I can say that it was whenever Funimation began releasing advertisements for Fruits Basket prior to its release. I think it was Summer 2004 when I actually got the manga and asked for the anime.

I adore both because they both move me emotionally and they are both very lovely and engaging stories with characters that are strangely dear to me. I believe the manga is wonderful because it is the original that came from Natsuki Takaya's mind, heart, and hand. It's more intimate because you can hold it and it is a more direct connection between the original manga-ka and the reader. It's longer, with more story and background information and details and it does have an ending, a heart-penetratingly beautiful ending that will be a delight to see for myself. I smile when I look down and see the different characters on the book spines on my bookshelf. And the designs are delicate and lovely and well thought out. It's visuals really affect and express emotion. And I have to read an entire volume in one sitting whenever I get a new volume, even if I hurt from sitting too long and it's way late and I should be in bed.

The anime...I fell in love with the anime from the very first episode. I watched it in Japanese first (normally I watch a show in English first). I just connected with the characters so fast, I felt like I knew them already, like they were relatives I didn't know about and had suddenly discovered. I cried over Hatori. I cried over Momiji. I cried over Yuki. I cried over Ritsu. I cried over Kisa. And I cried over Kyo and Tohru. And I laughed. Man, did I laugh. And I still cry and laugh whenever I watch it, and I'm easily drawn back in. It's nice and pleasing to see the characters in color, speaking and moving (I love the Japanese voice actors, especially Kyo-kun's). The last couple of episodes are the best, though. It's such a fascinating change from the tone of the rest of the series. Watching Kyo run through the forest alone really tugs at my heart. The tears come easy when watching that part. And while more FB anime would be nice...it's a good ending for an open-ended ending. It's hopeful, and that's very Fruits Basket-like.

The entire anime series in the box I bought from TRSI because there wasn't a box originally and they made a box for people who already had all four volumes, American manga volumes 1-18 (gotta love the Kazuma cover), the two domestic soundtracks (with an extra copy of the first OST), a Kyo in cat form patch, Kyo and Kagura pins, the American Cat Fan Book, the Japanese Cat Fan Book, the Japanese second Fan Book, and the Japanese illustration book (thanks to my brother for that Christmas present from a couple of years ago! Love it, love it, love it!). I think that's it. Edit--Wait, I also have the two domestic Fruits Basket calendars and I'm a little sad that after looking at Momiji's smiling face for December, I won't have a 2008 Fruits Basket Calendar to put up.

Shocked Uh...is this what they call a trick question? I can definitely say that I don't like Ren, or Kyo's father, or that "Old Hag" who was getting mad a Kureno and who got told off by Hatsuharu in Vol. 18, etc. I like Akito, but at the same time she pisses me off at times, too. But I feel sympathetic towards her situation, so...she's definitely complex, and that makes her a great character. She has the potential to change for the good, and I can't help but like that.

Okay, enough dawdling...I have a deep love for most of the characters in Fruits Basket, but I think if I had to make a list, Kyo and Tohru would be tied for the top. I'm a cat. I'm an onigiri. I find that I am drawn to characters and people who are cats or onigiris, people who don't really fit in with the crowd, any crowd. Square pegs surrounded by holes, with nowhere to go. I'm like Kyo in that I'm constantly trying to practice the martial art of interacting with people. I often think about that talk that he has with Shigure. One of the first "cats" I was drawn to was the Beast in Disney's Beauty and the Beast, and that fairytale became one of my most favorite stories, and in a way I think the story of Kyo and Tohru is one of the most beautiful and truly heartfelt Beauty and the Beast type stories that I have ever encountered. Sometimes I feel like I'm imprisoned and doing nothing about it like Kyo does, but just knowing that there is a character like that, that Natuski Takaya made someone like that and gives him hope, that makes me feel warm and hopeful. And Tohru makes me feel like I can get through anything. I was also born in the year of the dog, and I was Tohru's age when the manga first came out in Japan, so I think I was born in her dog year, which is so cool. And I will join her in being a fan of the cat. I've had an affinity for animals since I was little, but cats were always my favorite, and then dogs were my next favorite.

Coming off of the last question, I think it's safe to declare that my favorite storyline is Kyo and Tohru's spoiler[love] story. Man, I can't wait for the last five volumes so I can see it spoiler[finally take root and blossom]. In the second fan book that I have, I just look at the tiny picture spoiler[of them when they're older and married and holding hands] and I feel like I've stepped into the sunlight underneath a beautiful blue sky full of lazy, fluffy white clouds. It makes the future into a beautiful thing to behold. In Volume 17, I was tickled pink when I saw the part where Tohru bopped Kyo with her scarf and he teased her. It's so sweet and funny and real. They know how to have fun together, how to be playful. They're such good friends, best friends, and that's what makes it all the more beautiful to me. It's not about completing each other, but about supporting each other and helping each other through their respective darknesses.

A scene that really stuck out for me would be when Shigure told Tohru to take it easy and do one piece of laundry at a time. It not only made Tohru less anxious, but whenever I feel anxious and overwhelmed, I often think of that part and it helps to calm me down. And then I smile and silently thank Natsuki Takaya.

Kyo and Tohru's story also gives me hope that there's a guy out there who I can bop with my scarf. Anime catgrin

Last edited by Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl on Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
murph76

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:29 pm Reply with quote
All right, time to answer Fighterholic's questions:

I'm not really sure. I guess I've seen it around the bookstore and got interested in purchasing the manga after reading a little about it online. One reason I started the series -- other than it looked like a really good story -- was because I hadn't seen the anime when I began reading it. I wanted to come into the story clean, without comparing it to the anime version.

For several years. It was one of those books I'd walk past and tell myself I'd pick it up someday.

I enjoyed the anime, but I prefer the manga. I read the manga before renting the anime, and I enjoy how much more there is to the story in the manga.

I have the soundtrack and all the manga released so far in the states. I may buy the anime since the new $50 boxed set it out.

It's hard to choose, but probably Tohru. I enjoy how she changes through the story. She seems overly perky at first, but later volumes show how much she struggles with her own issues, too.

6. What is your favorite scene/storyline? I forget the volume, but it's the scene spoiler[where Tohru comes down with a cold and Kyo cooks porridge for her. I love these scene for several reasons. First, Kyo preparing a meal for Tohru -- which surprises Shigure, so I'm sure it's not a common happening -- shows how much he's grown to care for her in the short time they've lived together. Secondly, Kyo encourages Tohru to complain, to not keep all her feelings bottled inside. After that, Tohru confesses to feeling like a failure because she thinks she's breaking her promise to her mother. I'm sure that did has much to heal Tohru as Hatori's medicine. Lastly, I enjoyed the scene because of the other characters who visit Tohru out of concern. Hatori -- who said he never treats anyone outside the Sohma family -- gives Tohru a shot. And, Kisa and Momiji tag along because they're too worried about Tohru to stay behind. ]

And, if were still talking about Vol. 18, I have to mention spoiler[the scene between Akito and Haru over what she did to Rin. It really stands out in my mind because I was thinking, "Finally, Akito did something to piss off another zodiac member. I fully believe Haru would have been justified if he punched out Akito instead of just hitting the wall. And I'm really surprised he didn't go black. For as angry as he was, Haru kept his control.]

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:46 am Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
And, if were still talking about Vol. 18, I have to mention spoiler[the scene between Akito and Haru over what she did to Rin. It really stands out in my mind because I was thinking, "Finally, Akito did something to piss off another zodiac member. I fully believe Haru would have been justified if he punched out Akito instead of just hitting the wall. And I'm really surprised he didn't go black. For as angry as he was, Haru kept his control.]

-Murph

To this day spoiler[Haru is the only Zodiac member known to openly oppose and threaten Akito. I think in the case of the four oldest members, they knew what her problem was and such, but Haru obviously didn't know and he was an adolescent, not to say she wasn't much of one either.]
suna_suna

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:18 am Reply with quote
for all the talk about (spoiler is just in case)spoiler[Haru's Black side. he's only turned black 4 or 5 times in the series (up throught this one)

i also think it's interesting that most of the zodiac have only become their animal form once (the biggest exceptions being Kyo and Momiji). i think this is because the animal forms are a very small part of the sohma curse, and the story really didn't need it except to directly address the curse and its origins and implications]
pixiebell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quote

A friend let me borrow the anime and I loved it so much that I bought the manga. It was the first manga I read and was surprised to find that I loved manga.

About two years now I think.

I think both are wonderful! I am watching the anime for the fourth time now. I may enjoy the manga just a bit more simply because it takes the story so much further.

I own all of the anime and all of the manga that have been released so far.

I have several. I love Ritsu and am tempted to say that he is my favorite but Momiji, Hana and Uo are great characters to.

I love the whole Cinderella scene it is not only funny but very touching. I also enjoy when Ritsu is introduced.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 98 of 170