• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why does most anime in Japan air late-night?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A-Train

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:45 am Reply with quote
Does anybody here know how and why there are so many anime titles that air after midnight in Japan? If you look at most of the Japanese websites for an anime, they usually show air times in the 1 and 2 AM slots... does that mean even Azumanga Daioh wasn't meant for kids?
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:45 am Reply with quote
If the title features a large cast of females, most of whom look younger than their stated age, and most have large, watery eyes without much detail within the circumference of the iris, then it's probably a seinen title (males 18-40). Azumanga Daioh is a good example of this. If the eyes were sparkling instead, then it's probably a shoujo title.

You have probably been looking at titles that are seinen. Without actually making a tally, I would guess that a number of titles disproportionate to viewing size belong in the older category, simply because they're the ones who can afford to buy the DVDs.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:15 am Reply with quote
Titles even such as Haruhi and Lucky Star were also late nighters, because of their projected target audience in Japan. This is often the case when it comes to seinen titles, a hint of how you tell they are a seinen title would be from what magazine the manga may be serialized in. There are some cases however, when even shonen titles will be shown on late night television. Examples of this includes Death Note and Grappler Baki.

Most of your anime during the daytime will be kids shows, targeted towards grade school kids whether they are male or female. And just think of their Saturday and Sunday morning cartoons. Sometimes you might find a show that may cross the lines of blood and sexual innuendo to make it into the Saturday morning or weekday afternoon lineup.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:16 am Reply with quote
Believe it or not but most anime aimed at otakus are not popular in the mainstream.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:30 am Reply with quote
AzuDai was a seinen anime based on a seinen manga. Whilst there's not much in it that would make it unsuitable for older children (it got a 12 certificate when released here in Britian) they certainly weren't its intended demographic.

And the reasons that most anime shows (other than the stuff on children's TV) airs late at night are -
a) Anime in Japan isn't nearly as mainstream as most Western fans seem to think it is - certainly far less so than manga. For the most part TV companies can expect more viewers for live-action than for anime.
b) Japan has pretty strict content rules for TV and a lot of anime couldn't be shown earlier.
c) Companies making niche otaku orientated anime often have to pay TV stations to air their shows (as a kind of advert for later DVD sales). Late night slots are affordable, prime time slots aren't.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:43 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
AzuDai was a seinen anime based on a seinen manga. Whilst there's not much in it that would make it unsuitable for older children (it got a 12 certificate when released here in Britian) they certainly weren't its intended demographic.

Dengeki Daioh is my favorite (along with Wings) and seems to have a nice variety (Crest of the Stars, Gunslinger Girl, Kashimashi, Kamichu) of titles unlike many popular publications like Jump and Nakayoshi who seem to be more demographic based.

Figure 17 was ran in Dengeki Daioh and if anything this is even more kid friendly (I think I've seen it listed 7+) than Azumanga. The same goes for Strawberry Marshmallows which I'm sure has also been misidentified as shoujo.
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For the most part TV companies can expect more viewers for live-action

And other type of programs in Japan?
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:42 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Dengeki Daioh is my favorite (along with Wings) and seems to have a nice variety (Crest of the Stars, Gunslinger Girl, Kashimashi, Kamichu) of titles unlike many popular publications like Jump and Nakayoshi who seem to be more demographic based.

Yes, I've read (possibly in Jason Thompson's book?) that Dengeki Daioh has a rather larger proportion of female readers than most seinen magazines. And I suppose most seinen and josei magazines have a wider age target than shonen and shoujo titles that are pretty limited in that regard by definition.

Quote:
The same goes for Strawberry Marshmallows which I'm sure has also been misidentified as shoujo.

I would have thought that Strawberry Marshmallow was more aimed at adult men with an unhealthy interest in children than at the children themselves...
Gage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Same here in the United States. It really sucks because there's new anime I'm interested in watching but they're only on Adult Swim, which shows anime in the wee morning hours. School and tiredness do not mix. I was thinking of starting a new weekday schedule. Waking up at 4am, hopping on the computer while Adult Swim is on television. That'd allow me the time to get a lot done as I do writings about anime, don't have to worry about running late in the mornings, its good! Although I'm not sure that will happen right off -- only when there is chance of a snow day on that day (like today). We'll see!
Rustem

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was for the hikikomori viewers.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Gage wrote:
Same here in the United States. It really sucks because there's new anime I'm interested in watching but they're only on Adult Swim, which shows anime in the wee morning hours.

If that's the case, why don't you try recording the show with your VCR, Tivo or whatever else you have?
kenshinflyer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:34 am Reply with quote
Same goes here in our place when we still had WOWOW in our cable TV system. Well, maybe it's because of the R-15 rating. Pretty much like R rating in the States. But there were some that aired during early primetime. (The Sanada 10 was one example.)

That's why some good titles will never, ever reach the Philippines via the Big Two (ABS-CBN, GMA), because editing the "bad parts" will ruin the entire show. ANIMAX? They've tried, but are still testing the waters. ABS-CBN's anime channel HERO TV, though, had a shot with Maburaho.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1