• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.::Lain::.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:26 am Reply with quote
1) Monster
The story really gets you hooked. At first you would think that the phasing is really slow but once you get attach with the main plot you can't get enough of it. Really done geniusly. Best character development, the direction is superb, characters are well placed, extreme twists, amazing deus ex machina... Need I say more?

2) Paranoia Agent
Done by one of my favorite directors Satoshi Kon. Plainly symbolistic anime.

3) Serial Experiments Lain
This anime is mainly about "consensus reality" an approach to answering the question "What is real?" a profound philisophical question. Basically the anime assumes that humans can communicate with machines even without physical interface with the help of a system. The plot introduce us the Schumann resonance, a property of the Earth's magnetic field that theoretically allows for unhindered long distance communications (it was explained more clearly on the movie "Pulse" American adaptation of the original Japanese film "Kairo") and this phenomenon is what the anime is all about.

4) The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
One of the best movie I've ever seen. Story is about a typical high school girl who has the power to go back in time and re-do things with the help of a device belonging to a mysterious boy from the future spoiler[(who happens to be her friend)...]

5) Millenuim Actress
This is about a girl who met her first love during WWII and finds herself chasing her dream to meet and be with him until her last breath realizing spoiler[that it's not him that she was after but the thrill of searching for someone that no longer exist. ]

6) Only Yesterday
It's about an unmarried woman living a very boring life who decided to travel and visit her sister (from the town where she grew from) to find herself oncemore revisiting her past, her childhood and finally spoiler[found love and answer to the question if she did made her dreams come true. ]

7) The Vision of Escaflowne
I can't really explain why I love this anime but it seems like this mainly influenced my highschool life.

8) Samurai Champloo
Fun.... Not a typical story.

9) Mushishi
I've always loved stories involving Morphogenesis...

10) Ergo Proxy
I like the original plot and I'm into post-apocalyptic. I also like cyberpunk stories, really amazing and very imaginative.

Least favorite? I don't really watch anime which I know I won't like. I try to check and do some research on the anime first before watching 'em.

Last edited by .::Lain::. on Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
.Qwerty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:01 am Reply with quote
1. Death Note
This anime has a great story line, good drwaings and best of all a little spark that makes it addictive.. Kira always makes you wonder what will happen next and I guess that's why it's so special..
2. Elfen Lied
It's said to be horror, but it didn't seem scary to me, in fact I saw something more like romance in it and it was a very beautiful storyline.
3. Sola
An anime which made those 22 minutes fly by in an instant.. I think that was the best romance anime I've ever seen (tho my fav genre is not romance). The end was so wonderful it almost made me cry Embarassed
4. Samurai X - Trust and Betrayal
It's really worth the 1st place.. It says the story behind his cross-scar+more Smile
5. Sngel Sanctuary OAV
Only 3 episodes about how a blood brother loves his sister spoiler[Tho in same or the next episode it gets to that the sister also loves him]. It seems like a really nice anime and I recomend you watching it, because those 3 episodes will fly by in an instant..
6. Please Twins
It had some nice romance parts, which I found interesting and worth watching Smile only 13 episodes+OAV, so it didn't take long^^
7. Fate/Stay Night
It was more than just a master and a servant.. Had some nice points and really was worth watching those episodes Smile I liked the fact, that Saber wasn't treated as a servant :$
8. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
It had a nice sci-fi storyline and Idk why, but it really took my attention :p
Maybe because spoiler[Haruhi isn't a normal person? Confused ]
9/10. Gungrave
A story about a man who started as street hooligan and went up by the side of his best friend. The first episode might seem like a nonsense but the otehr episodes will show everything where it started from.
10/9. Ergo Proxy
I don't actualy know what hooked me on this, tho the interesting part came from around episode 4-5. It's a sci-fi about the future and I think it's worth watching (it's even considered as horror Confused ) .

Last edited by .Qwerty on Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:15 am; edited 3 times in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote
1) Trigun: I should preface this by saying that I am a Trigun fanboy. What can I say? I just love it. Nothing can compare to the pure awesomeness that is Vash the Stampede. There was certainly alot else to like too though. The Western setting was great, and it got even better as it incorporated alot of SciFi elements. Great supporting characters too. The ending was inconclusive, but felt very conclusive at least to me. I liked the theme too.

2) Cowboy Bebop + Movie: Why bother echoing things that have been said millions of times before. Go read almost anything pertaining to Bebop. It probably says the same things I would be saying here. Great characters, beautiful animation, excellent music, briliantly executed. Yada Yada Yada.

3) Berserk: It had so much great bloody action and at the same time, such depth in its story and characters. Absolutely brutal, and excellent in so many aspects. If you've got the stomach for it, I would absolutely recomend it to anyone.

4) Ghost in the Shell (Movie): Beautiful art, character designs and animation. The whole thing just looked great. It raises facinating questions regarding technology and humanity. However, what truely made it great was the presentation. A lot anime with philosophical themes take things too far and resort to beating you over the head with it. *glares malevolently at ergo proxy* Others do have such themes but they are subtle and it can be quite difficult to pick out what exactly they are trying to say. Ghost in the Shell hit the perfect medium between the two. The themes were not simple concepts but were still easilly accessable and understandable but still subtle.

5) Hellsing (The whole franchise): I can't really say either Hellsing series is my favorite, especially since I haven't seen all of Ultimate. I would have just flat out given this spot to the signature series if not for the poor ending. I just loved the characters. Alucard is so creepy and incredibly cool too. Seras was probably my favorite character though. She wasnt nearly so cute that she was annoying as is he case so much in anime. She was just really quirky and likable. All this contrasted great with her transformation into a vampire. Ultimate series looks better but i almost find I prefer the original. However, Ultimate has a ton of potential since it will cover far more ground than the original.

6) Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team: I would probably say this is my favorite Gundam series. It took a much more realistic look at the franchise. Also, it was smaller scale. Instead of huge conflicts affecting the entire world, it was just one small battle amidst the entire war. If felt more like a military drama instead of a big mecha melodrama. Not only did that work very well, it was a refreshing change.

7) Samurai Champloo: Fun, likable characters. Not really much of a story, but cool modern concepts kept it interesting. Though some may disagree, the ending was one of my favorite endings ever. It accomplished something Anime rarely does and actually made me believe that they might spoiler[kill one or both of the main characters. It really adds to the drama when youre honestly not sure who will live or die. Then when they didn't kill either of em, I was actually glad because it would have been awfully sad if they did. I still got the fun of thinking they might.] Overall, it was just a very highly entertaining anime.

8) Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory: I didn't really see it as standing out as a masterpiece. However it was all around very very good. I have absolutely no complaints. Interesting characters, interesting story, good battles, all that. Just an all around great story. I still think I prefer 08th MS team, but this get my vote for best more traditional Gundam.

9) RahXephon: I dont think can talk about this without comparing it to Eva. It was after all kinda Eva done right. All the good, a deep story with complex characters. But none of the bad, such as a main character you just wanna slap and then tell him to get the hell over it. Also, not so many questions uppon questions that it was tough to follow and more importantly, the questions were for the most part resolved, even if it was in a somewhat magical way. The musical symbolism was far preferable to me since unlike christian symbolism it did not carry a bunch of annoying conotations.

10) Every time I do this I always hit #10 and run out of stuff. THere are plent of other very good anime out there but nothing I would but up there with this stuff. ie. Blood: The Last vampire, Fate/Stay Night, Full Metal Panic!, Gundam SEED, Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.

The Worst:

Well, I don't really see the point in mentioning stuff that is commonly recognised as bad so...

Most Overrated: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind: Don't get me wrong this undoubtedly also has a lot of positive. However, I don't think its nearly as amazing as everyone says. Maybe part of the problem is that it hasn't aged well. In particular the message. Nowadays we've got so many people going on about the enviroment and saving the planet and all that. (Al Gore...how I loathe him) It loses alot of the impact it might have had back when it was new. Regardless, I found two big flaws in the movie. First, spoiler[the people of the valley are awfully hypocritical. Maybe thats not the right word exactly. Rather, its easy for them to say that stuff. Its easy to tell everyone they must not burn the toxic forest when they're sitting safe in their little valley which is protected from it. Nausicaa comes flying in with all these idealistic views, but ignores the reality that for the people of other kingdoms not doing something about the forest means death. They won't survive if it continues to spread. Even claiming that they shouldn't fight it and let it eventually destroy them would be one thing, but thats not even the case. She's essentially telling them all to give up and die, while her and her people will just go live safely in their valley. Her and the movie itself act all like they've got the awnser to the problem when in reality they don't. Their solution is just as bad, if not worse than those that are trying to destroy the forest. Overall, Nausicaa is just too perfect (the second major complaint I have). she's the single person who knows the way things should be and comes flying in and shows everyone the error of their ways. That would be bad as is, but then its multiplied by the fact that she's just as wrong as everyone else. Also the ending was a little shoddy. Ofcourse Jesus...er sorry I mean Nausicaa, swoops in and magically calms the Ohm and everything is all better (even though the world is still in the exact same situation it was before.) Also, from the moment that everybody starts crying and saying that Nausicaa is dead, you just know she isn't. Its just a typical big cheezy play up and then, she's alive!!! Without a doubt there was also plenty of good to be found in this movie, but it was really quite flawed too. I totally disagree that something with a hole this big can be considered the masterpiece everyone says it is.]

Worst Sequel: Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence: The first Ghost in the Shell was great because its themes were easilly accessable but still subtle. Innocence unfortunately felt the need to beat you over the head with these themes. Perhaps that was because they were too complext to be expressed in the same way as the original. Regardless though it was a very bad thing. It was just so disjointed. It spend large continuous chunks taking the whole psycological/philosophical ellement and beating you over the head with it. By that I dont mean just parts focusing on it, I mean actual people standing around pretty much just discussing it. Now it wasnt all this way. Mixed in there were a few chunks of crazy action. I guess these were a good thing but it was hardly enough to make up for the rest. Not to mention I kinda expect more from GitS than just action. Finally there were big chunks of "look what we can do with CGI. Ain't it beautiful?" It was infact quite nice but it contributed nothing to the story and only resulted in the already dull movie being even duller because it was punctuated by big chunks of "now sit and look at the pretty pictures". The deeper stuff might have been at least okay if its something you get, but this was just pointless.

Biggest Disapointment: Ergo Proxy: Too bad. It seemed to have a lot of potential. However there is just too much time spent being all sulky. Combine that with a dark gloomy atmosphere and setting. Meandering plot with an excess of unsubtle beat you over the head philosophy. It gives the show a very dull mood. It doesnt lend itself well to making a compelling Anime. The concept and characters are solid, but unfortunately they don't manage to actually do anything with it. I had hoped this might be something vaugely along the lines of the next Ghost in the Shell. Unfortunately it was the more like the next Ghost in the Shell 2.

Biggest WTF: Burst Angel: Welcome to the world of Burst Angel, where apparently stuff doesn't have to make sense or be explained in any way because its the future and hot girls are blowing stuff up. Check your reality at the door. Now there is some pretty decent action and great looking animation. However its tough to enjoy this stuff unless you can repress your WTF reflex. That part of your mind that pushes you to wonder: spoiler["why can this girl transform into a monster that can control the minds of others?" or "what on earth do they keep meg around for?" or finally, "why oh why would someone build a giant lifelike robotic crow, which can inexplicably control other crows, that needs to kidnapp people to use for energy, for a simple theft."] yeah...WTF?

Just Plain Terrible: Gun Frontier: Gun Frontier was perhaps the worst Anime I've ever seen. I rarely drop series so short but this was an exception. Where to start: Firstly, the plot moved at a lightning fast pace. It was like they took a 26 episode plot and squished it into 13 episodes. In watching it felt more like I was just reading a summary of the plot. There was never any build up to anything, just "this happens and then this happens and etc." The art style was just ugly. Not even just poorly drawn or animated, it was some weird non-anime style. Now don't get me wrong. Im open to unusual art styles but this one just looked absolutely stupid and cartoony. Oh and the fanservice. Was the director sitting around and said to his friend "wanna bet how many times in a single episode I can have this woman randomly take her clothes off?" The awnser by the way was 3. Again the speed of sound plot didn't help here. It would just be like RANDOM NUDITY for ten seconds and them jump to something else. Then a bit later they find another excuse for 5 seconds of some random excuse for this woman to get naked. I generally don't mind fanservice, but this kind of random out of the blue fanservice I can't stand.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:00 am Reply with quote
1.) Death Note:I just love the mental chess match between Light and the people trying to stop him. And I think the concept behind the anime is beyond cool. While most people might disagree with me but I think the ending was as epic as the anime itself.

2.) Naruto:I love the action and setting of this series. Also,I just feel a great emotional connection with the characters unlike any other anime I have watch.

3.) Bleach: It's has just as much action as Naruto. And it's has a similar concept as Death Note. Futhermore,I like the leading character Ichigo better than the leading character of Naruto

4.) FMA: The best drama I have seen in a anime. Seeig Edward and Al struggle to regain what they had lost invoke so many emotions while watching.

5.) FLCL: The comedy is a riot. And it's feature one of the better theme song I have heard. Also,you get a better understanding of the show every time you rewatch it.

6.) Full Metal Panic: Fummofu: This show completely refines the comedy of the original series. And the back and forth between Kaname and Sousuke is comedy gold as it's best.

7.) InuYasha: The series was in mine top five until the terrible ending. Mainly why this show make it in mine top ten is the love triangle between InYasha,Kagome and Kikyo. Every thing else is kinda sub par when I look back on it .

8.) Trinity Blood: Another series that has a terrible ending. While most will say that this series was never good. I thought the cast of characters was interesting and the storyline didn't get bad to the end.

9.) Gits SAC: Quite simply the best political driven anime I had seen.

10.) S-Cry-ed: Admitedly the storyline wasn't it's strong point. But I doubt people was watching it's because of it's storyline

Honorable mentions: Case Closed,Samurai Champloo,Trigun,and Cowboy Bepbob
SmashRackets4Fun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quote
MY TOP 5 ANIMES
Of the ones I watched, I can really come up with 10 that tops the others, so here is 5 that I find exceptionally good.

1) Fullmetal Alchemist
First of all, I watched the entire series in 1 day. I love the characters in the story because they are very believable in that you develop an emotional connection with not only the main hero but the supporting cast as well. What makes them believable is, there is almost no "happy ending" that you expect with anyone, every plot and story is well designed to keep you on the edge of your seat. Also its a very deep anime that requires your full attention to get every little bit out of this masterpiece. The animations are great, the battles scenes are very attractive and the main concept with alchemy is pretty unique as well. Overall, its the story and the unpredictable and yet believable/realistic drama that really made me a fan.

2)Count of Monte Cristo
Another dramatic series. what I loved about this anime was the characters. It is based on a famous novel so the story itself is rich. But to bring the characters in a book to life takes some hard work and I believe this anime did VERY well. I fell in love with the the main characters in the anime. I hated the count and loved the count both at the same time. It has not clear cut good vs bad, I hated the count and felt sympathy for Franz while feeling sorry for the Count at the same time. The betrayal and trust plot really keeps you wondering what is the right thing to do and if you haven't read the book, it will definitely keep you interested the entire way. Also the relationship between the characters themselves are very touching and thats what makes a good anime. Not to mention the unique graphics design which I found odd and attractive at the same time.

Samurai X - Trust and Betrayal
By now you can probably tell I love dramatic series. This one is not shy of being exactly that. Those who have seen Rurouni Kenshin will understand. It follows Kenshin from his dreadful childhood to his troubled adult life, and all of that getting turned upside down by an unexpected love in his life. Unlike previous series, because this is an OVA, its much shorter but it felt much longer than it really is. You see a troubled Kenshin in a troubled world but brought to life by his love for a girl. You see their romance grow and Kenshin giving up everything only to be betrayed. A truly dramatic and unforgetable character and anime.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Another character based anime with using robotics in the background. This 26 episode series focused on psychological issues of several characters at the same time. It shows the imperfection of the world and how everyone is effected. what I liked about this anime is the fact is showed vulnerable side of all the characters in a subtle and yet powerful manner. Outside of the battle against alien forces, each one of them have to face battles within themselves. Very dramatic, very exciting series that gets you thinking.

Grave of the Fireflies
This anime brought out the terror of war and how it affects the civilians. There really is no plot or story but the struggle of two homeless orphans siblings when there is nothing left for them. But their love for each other and life pushed them through all the worst of life. It showed even the worst of the worst can be overcome by love and desperation. It showed morality during war and desperate times, what people are willing to do to other people, family, themselves in order to survive while portraying the horrors of the war. Not recommended to watch more than once, it is simply too sad.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quote
1. Cowboy Bebop. It has everything, great characters, a killer soundtrack, smooth animation, its just an all around great series. Evan the dub is fantastic. Cowboy Bebio is the definition of cool.

2. Basilisk. Its basically Ninja Scroll meets Romeo and Juliet. And how can you not love a guy whose ninja power is that he an kill you by looking at you. That and everybody dies. It doesn't get much more depressing than that.

3. Berserk. Probably the most violent anime ever made, and its actually got a really good plot.

4. Full Metal Panic! I love mecha series, and this on combines with comedy with giant killer robots. Plus the bad guys are all communists, you just can't go wrong with that.

5. Ghost in the Shell, movies and series. Cyber-punk is probably the most underrated sci-fi sub gene ever, mostly because its hard to do, but GitS does it right. Awesome fights, a dash philosoph, and killer cyborgs.

6. Princess Mononoke. I love evrything by Hayao Miyazaki, but this is by far my favorite. I saw it when I was in 8th grade and just getting into anime, and frankly it blew my mind. I had never seen anything like it, and it has a special place in my heart.

7. Hellsing Ultimate. I love Hellsing, and seeing an accurate adaption of the manga is a dream come true for me. Fingers crossed that we will see the rest of the series eventually.

8. The Vision of Escaflowne. Also one of the first anime that I ever saw, but thats not why its here. I am not a big fan of romance series, but this one did it right. Probably because it had the right amount of romance and action. Also, its the only series I've seen that has managed to mix mecha and fantasy succesfully.

9. Death Note. My new obsession, the whole idea is fantastic, and the way the story plays out is just genius. Go watch this series now if you haven't yet.

10. Trigun. Why, because Wolfwood is the best anime character EVER! Where else can you see a priest who wields a cross that is also a machinegun/rocket launcher. Its also nice to see a non-streotypical Christian character portrayed in a positive light.

Worst Ever
1. Yu-Gi-Oh. This show kills brain cells. It is a cartoon about kids playing a fake card game! Shooting yourself Kurt Cobain style would be les painful than watching this show.

2. G Gundam. Too many thing wrong with this show to go into details.

3. SD Gundam Force. See previous entry.

4. Inu-Yasha. This show goes nowhere, there is no character development, it just runs in circles.

5. .Hack//Sign. Getting robbed and mauled is more fun than this show.
jigoku_hime

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:36 am Reply with quote
This are the best from what I have watched so far (not in any chronological order):

Ouran High School Host Club: I bought this series on a whim and I have no regrets. In fact, I was fortunate because I decided to buy this anime that had me in fits of laughter in each episode Laughing . This is one of the funniest (and most substantial) anime I have ever seen. I'm a sucker for comedy Very Happy

Honey and Clover: This is one of the best slice of life anime I've ever seen. The comedic factor (which was usually provided by Morita) was superb. Character development was nicely done and the plot (although simple) was well written. This anime is definitely worth watching.

Naruto: This anime is close to being perfect-lovable characters, great plot, fluid action scenes, heart wrenching drama, side-splitting comedy, and superb animation. This anime deserves an exceptional ending.

Death Note: This is the best mind-boggling anime I've ever seen. I give the plot two thumbs up! This series had me at the edge of my seat.

Gundam Seed: In my opinion, this is the best Gundam series. I love its heart-stopping action and tear-jerking drama. Although the main characters are a bit cliche they are still lovable. What I like about the main characters are their contradicting perceptions about the war. I especially like Athrun because of his ideals about the situation he is in. I've also seen its sequel, Gundam Seed Destiny. Although not as great as Seed, it was still able to capture my interest.

Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle: This are the only movies I've seen that were made by Hayao Miyazaki and I loved all three of them! The plot was exceptional and the characters were just as great. What I love about Miyazaki's work is that although the plot is unrealistic it was able to show some realistic elements present in our society and it was able to show some moral values as well.

Prince of Tennis: This is the best sports-themed anime I've seen (second to this is Slam Dunk). Although I'm not into sports, what captured my interest in this anime is not the sports aspect but the characters. The characters' interaction with each other is worth commending.

Fruits Basket: Yuki and Kyo's rivalry is one of the best. I like how this two main characters interact with each other. Another thing I like about this series is each character's emotional conflict that adds spice to this anime.

Fushigi Yugi: This is the best romance anime I've seen. I love the way fantasy and romance are combined to produce such a great anime.

DNAngel: This is the series that got me hooked into anime.

So far, this are the best anime I've seen. As for the worst, well I've seen some anime that are disappointing but not disappointing enough to be ranked as the worst.
Space Pirate Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote
ill just do my top 5 fav

1. Tenchi Muyo

Theres Just something about this show that i can never get sick of, i think its the characters. I just fell in love with the characters and the way they interact with each other, its absolute genius! plus Ryoko never fails to make me smile.

2. Ghost In the Shell

Well, say no more really! just an incredible piece of work! Shirow is a God! plus Motoko is such a babe!

3. Full Metal Alchemist

Such a great story with such an original idea. the relationship between ED and AL is just amazingly portrayed! Its fun, action packed, sometimes scary and utterly heart wrenching! a truley great anime series.

4. Slayers

I recently started watching this and on the first ep i knew i loved it. It has hilarious characters, that look cool and have great magic spells! just a great, old fashioned fantasy/dragons/magic anime.
plus Lina Inverse and Goury are just such a classic pair.

5. Full Metal Panic

Sousuke! i mean what a great character! biggest legend! just watching him blunder his way through normal highschool life, try to make Kaname happy and save everyone from crazy terrorists in his armslave all at the same time! just a crack up of a show!
Skys

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:06 am Reply with quote
Update - Finished watching Code Geass. It was good, but not good enough to make my list. More updates will come as time goes on.

I'll list a few of my favorite animes as they come to mind.
FLCL
First up, FLCL. Definitely one of my favorites by far. This anime is able carries such a strong story, great music, and so much meaning which can be found throughout it. One of the greatest things about this anime is the wonderful script in it; some lines just amaze me by how well thought out they are and how wonderfully they fit into this show. Every time I watch this, it is like a scavenger hunt to see what I missed before. It just keeps pulling me back. And that is saying a lot in itself being that I rarely watch anime series more than once.

Now, there are many people out there who will tell you this anime is just randomness thrown together without a purpose, but there is reason to the madness. Everything has a purpose in this anime, things just aren't put in for the purpose of taking up space and that is why it is so great. When watching this anime I constantly find myself searching for what is the meaning behind a particular object, a particular line, a particular scene. This anime is by far my favorite to analyze, and even though it only has 6 episodes it has so much more meaning than countless other animes out there that last for 20+ episodes. This anime is filled with so many great morales, is wonderfully produced, and best of all it is extremely entertaining. This is a must watch for those who haven't seen it, and a must rewatch for those who didn't understand it the first time.
Kino's Journey
The next anime on my list is Kino's Journey. For those who don't know what it is about, or haven't heard about it before it is the story of an adventure who travels to countless countries in a strange world. Each country is like a city, possessing its own unique culture, customs, and technology. Each city Kino stays in gives the viewer a new perspective on the world. It is wonderfully well made and just like FLCL, so many meanings exist in this story although they may be slightly more evident for the purpose of the story. This is great anime to watch if you are one searching to be able to see the world from a myriad of view points, and also which to obtain a short lesson of philosophy on life. I highly recommend this series.
Haibane Renmei
Next up, Haibaine Renmei. This anime also follow suit to the type of animes I like being that it is so unique and fun to contemplate. It tells the story of a world where angel like humans mysteriously appear and disappear without reason, living their own unique of life. When I watch it, I find myself faced with so many of the questions the daunt us all. It asks the eternal questions of where does one come from, and I'm not referring to a biology lecture either, more so where does one's essence, being, soul originate from. Why is it that we are we? And what is there to meet us when we finally disappear? Once again, this is another great anime for one who likes to analyze and contemplate. It is wonderfully made as well, and although the plot moves at a rather slow rate, it keeps you entertained. I highly recommend this anime.
Mushi-shi
After seeing just the first episode, I could tell this was a fantastic anime. The first thing I noticed was the art. It has some of the best art I have seen in any anime series. It truly draws one into the world of the anime. Also, even though the plot was very laid-back or easy going so to speak, it keeps one's interest. This anime is able to successfully create a believable alternate earth. The explanations for why the mushi do certain things are very understandable and so are the ways to resolve the problems they cause. This show also is able to successfully portray humans as they truly are; imperfect. Nobody in this anime does everything right, even the main character has made a few mistakes. This anime also touches on many physiological issues, such as right vs wrong and why people do certain things in general. All in all, even though this anime moves slowly, it does it in an almost peaceful or tranquil manner that is highly acceptable. I regret not seeing this till recently.

Lets see now, some other animes I really like include:
Honey and Clover(Both Seasons)
This anime is truly the best slice of life anime I have seen. It really is amazingly good at characterization. Each character you come to know, and their personalities come to life. It is also really funny while Morita is there. It can become kinda dull and slow when he goes he isn't in a few episodes, but keep watching. I guarantee you won't regret it. When I had finished watching this series it really felt like I had learned, so many of the life experiences which the characters learned. Anyone looking for a great slice of life anime, with some great morales needs to look no further. Honey and Clover is the best you will find.
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
When I finished watching this anime I was truly amazed by how much they fit into this series. It is really epic in proportions. It is a great story of human will and perseverance, and how one can truly accomplish anything if they put their mind to it. Everyone should give it at least one watch. While the mechas may look strange, I guarantee it is truly a great anime.

Miyazaki's Films
I think these deserve their own place is my list for Miyazaki is truly a genius of story telling, and each one of his movies stand above the norm. Some of my favorite movies of his include:
Princess Mononoke
A great story of Man vs Nature, with a great morale that follows suit. It is truly inspirational, and gives one greater appreciation for the world around them.
Spirited Away
Another one of my favorite Miyazaki films. While it may not provide the morales and meanings which Princess Mononoke, it is still good in its own right by having an excellent story.

Some honorable mentions go to:
Death Note
A really great story, and I believe it was able to show that the line between right and wrong isn't always so clear.
Full Metal Alchemist
This is another one of my favorite animes. I felt that it had a really unique and interesting story and character development was also very good. A great watch.
Air
Really well made, and once again I thought the characters were developed very nicely. Although so many people say this anime was sad I found the happy ending to be nice. (Wonder if people know what I am talking about)
Kanon (2006)
Reminded me a lot of Air when I was watching it. One of my favorite lines from this series was(I'll try to remember it to the best of my abilities), "Life is like a canon, it keeps repeating the same melody, but grows more beautiful with time." I really like shows that have meaning to them. (If you haven't noticed yet)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
I'm not really sure what made me like this anime. It just found it unique and enjoyable in its' own sort of way. (The music on episode 12 was a big plus also)

As for anime I dislike:
I really think the worst animes are those that fail to have a point or take far too long to make one.
Naruto(Both Series)
After watching through so many Naruto episodes, one comes to realize that they really don't have the quality that so many other animes possess. Like the common saying goes, quality over quantity. I can understand people not wanting a series to end, but the best stories are those which are told without the added fluff. Where everything is important and things aren't dragged on forever, and ever, and ever... I do find the characters in Naruto interesting it's just that it takes forever for anything to happen. I think of Naruto Shippuden as an example, I was hoping it would be a little better compared to the first series, but with that first story arc and the amount of time it took for Naruto to play leap frog with trees chasing after people, for everyone to have staring contests and never ending conversations, and to have battles which drag on for far too long, I could have found much better anime to watch and gotten a lot more out of them.
Bleach
Bleach is about the same as Naruto. I find the characters, well most of them, interesting and all, but everything just drags on and on and on. What is the point!?
In conclusion, I'm not saying animes like Naruto and Bleach are horrible, they just truly take far too long for anything meaningful to happen. Time could be much better spent. I'm sure there are a lot worse anime out there too, but if I truly come to hate an anime from a first episode, I don't watch any further.

Final Remarks
Well, I may have not exactly followed the topic title of Top 10 best/ Top 10 worst, but I hope I was able to provide everyone with a fair understanding of what some of the good and bad animes out there are, and the reasons for them being so.

Until later, see ya.

Last edited by Skys on Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:08 pm; edited 5 times in total
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:54 am Reply with quote
Skys wrote:
[Awesome descriptions]

I like you. More people need to be like you were right here. Anime cry

(On a side note, we have eerily similar tastes aside for your dislike of shounen, so I approve of that too Laughing )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Skys

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:28 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
I like you. More people need to be like you were right here. Anime cry

(On a side note, we have eerily similar tastes aside for your dislike of shounen, so I approve of that too Laughing )

Thanks. I try to make most of my posts reach some level of quality and organization. It is not exactly for the purpose of the forum or others, (Although it certainly applies to them) I just can't stand making a post that looks horrible. As for shounen, it's not exactly like I completely dislike it, for if I really did I guess I wouldn't have watched as many episodes as I have. (I have seen almost all the Naruto episodes (Had to skip around 20 episodes near the end of the first series because I was getting sick of the plot moving nowhere) and have seen around 70 Bleach episodes (Caught in the midst of fillers currently).) It is just that I get really tired of so many fillers just taking up space in these series and the repetitiveness that arises within them. They would be so much better if all the fillers were just never made. I guess this brings me back to my original statement in my first post, these series take far too long for anything meaningful to happen and if they were to just take out the abundance of fillers they would be much better series overall. As for why I have seen so many episodes of these series, they are just time fillers for me when I can't find anything better to watch because even if they are painfully slow they do have their good traits to them as well. This brings me to why I kinda came to this forum. I'm looking for some more good series out there. (So much harder than it sounds.) I have looked into some of the animes that have been posted commonly high on people's lists and have just stopped watching the first episodes of the series around half way through because I found that I really didn't like how it was going. (Maybe I'm just too quick to judge.) But I find that the series I like the most, I like from the beginning to end.

Anyway, enough of my mini rant. There are still plenty of animes out for me to look at for a while, and I'm sure there are some really good ones that I have just over looked thus far. And also, thanks for your positive feedback. I'll try and maintain a fair amount of quality in my posts when it matters. Well, see you around the forum. I'm off to go look at some other threads being that this is really the only one that I have seen so far.

Last edited by Skys on Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:44 pm Reply with quote
You also know how to disagree with a series respectfully. Naruto is one of my favorites (though not necessarily anime-wise at the moment), and I wasn't once irritated while reading your comments. I think debates would go much more smoothly if everyone had an understanding of and respected others' opinions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
areallystupidguy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote
My first list was baleted so here's Version 2.0, featuring descriptions. I've only rated 6 things in My Anime as a Masterpiece, and so, here's my top 6. It wouldn't feel right to make a list of the top anime of all time unless I felt every show on it was truly flawless. Maybe once I watch some more stuff I'll add to it.

1. Serial Experiments Lain
Profound and layered. The plot is dense, maybe too dense for just 13 episodes, and yet it wouldn't work any other way. Lain is the greatest female main character in anime. It's arty at levels most animes never dare attempt for fear of seeming pretentious, but it never feels that way. A masterpiece.

2. Now And Then, Here And There
Criminally underrated. A genuine tearjerker with an original setting and heartfelt characters. Brilliant pacing, believable dialogue. Moody and sad but never comes across as sophmoric or angsty. The best soundtrack ever, anime or non. Classic.

3. Texhnolyze
The level of beauty and atmosphere here goes beyond anything I've ever seen. The plot is complex and intelligent, yet subdued, short on exposition and revealing very little without good reason. This gives it a feeling of genuine authenticity and realism, despite it's outlandish premise. The slow pace of the plot also contributes to this. The ending is absolutely devasting and is definitely my favorite in anime history.

4. My Neighbor Totoro
No other film, series, anything I've seen captures the sensation of youth quite like this one. It's a movie filled with wonder and creativity, and one I can't watch without grinning through the entire thing. The umbrella scene at the bus stop, when Totoro is waiting for the cat bus, is my favorite in anime history.

5. RahXephon
This show probably would have never existed without the Neon Genesis Evangelion, but I still prefer this one. RahXephon takes everything that was good about NGE and makes it better, and takes everything that was bad about NGE (and although I enjoy that show, there is quite a lot of it) and makes it absolutely spectacular. RahXephon is a masterpiece of character development. Every character is fleshed out and identifiable. As for the plot, it is crisp and tight. Not a single line of dialogue is wasted, not a single moment in its 26-episode run feels like filler. The symbolism and psychological aspects, while a bit pretentious and NGE, feel natural and powerful in RahXephon. RX does it's part to differentiate itself from NGE, with plenty of new concepts and a very different storyline, but comparisons between the two series are unavoidable. In many regards, RahXephon is really just a case of polishing a diamond, but holy crap, that is one effing shiny diamond.

FLCL
Maybe the most difficult-to-understand show I've ever seen. There are so many layers to the plot, so much you don't see. It's like an iceberg, where 90% of it's mass is underwater. The 10% of the iceberg that's sticking out of the water are the 6 absurdist comedy episodes of FLCL that you can see. But it goes so far beyond that, so much deeper. Themes of romance, war, maturity, history, etc. occasionally break the surface, but they're quickly swept away leaving only more confusion in their wake. There's so much going on in this show that I don't know what to make of it, and I like that a lot.
manu morisato

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
LOL!!i just came across this site earlier this morning when i was searching in yahoo about the list of voice actors of samurai x sony dub version and went into this site in a post called "rurouni kenshin vs samurai x" and when i went one level higher then i saw this post so i decided to share my fave and hated animes and tried to register...to my surprise i was already a member of this forum!!i just forgot my log-in accounts!!so i went to my email and then found it...
and now it is 1:54 am from where i am here in the philippines...enough said before i blabber myself to death..here they are but not arranged in chronological order because i love them all equally:
Ah!My Goddess(got addicted to this last april and have been hooked ever since...so in love with belldandy.....not a fan of anime romance but this has to be an exception...magical girlfriend+a whole lot of mishaps and romantic lessons that sends shivers and goosebumps what more can u ask?)
Akazukin ChaCha(cartoon network remember??)
Claymore(just got to love it last month...love the blood,gore and the babes with swords)
Dual!Parallel World Trouble(in axn brings back memories both mitsukis is hot!!always been a fan of mech anime but there are exceptions though)
Gatekeepers(in axn,brings back memories..GATE!!!OPEN!!!though it was awful when ruriko and shun didn't end up together but i have yet to watch gatekeeper21 and others say it was awful because it was totally the opposite of gatekeepers,the art is one of the best ones I've ever seen and the storyline amazes me)
DBZ/GT(love the fighting scene though the talkings were long,love animes that blow everything up in just e sec)
G Gundam(use to be absent in classes when i was in second grade just to watch this at 4pm,one of the best mech animes I've seen!!)
Oji the section chief/black heaven(save the world with rock and roll!!great story, and great tunes!!)
flame of recca(in axn,the old days where did they go?^_^love the plot,hope they will animate the part where yanagi became recca's flame)
samurai x(prefer to call it that rather than rurouni kenshin because i got used to it and prefer the sony dub, than the new one by animeworks it was awful!one of the best fight animes in history,beating dbz/gt & naruto by a long shot when it comes to fights,at least, for me)
samurai deeper kyo(though the fight scenes were awful but loved the story)
project arms(aired after samurai deeper kyo ended jaberwock was cool!!love the body-shifting cyborgs with a can-be-manipulated artificial metallic cells,the storyline is also great starting with normal kids then morphed into cyborgs w/out them knowing their cyborg part)
powerstone(in axn, miss falcon and galuta, love their morph and the action that goes with it)

honorable mentions:ninku and shadow skill(both in axn when i had nothing to do i watch them)

animes that just make me laugh or that made me think twice of ever leaving my seat just to catch them are the animes that will make it to my favorite list...so far the animes that have been able to do that are the ones listed above...now...lets go to the hate part...

hates:
one piece(totally awful art and boring..stretching and stuff))
naruto(but at times i am fascinated by the story and fight scene but nothing more)

all in all AXN really introduced a lot of animes to me back then..used to not know animes til my brother started watching samurai x and all others..got influenced from my brother too...but what really got me to collecting animes and made me an anime buff is...i have to say....Ah!My Goddess,because after watching it...made me reallly wanna purchase a dvd copy of it...after doing so....i thought to myself,"why not buy the dvd copies of all my fave animes?"then thats where my anime-dvd-collecting campaign started...i have everything in my list except for dual!,oji the section chief,some dbz,powerstone,samurai deeper kyo,claymore and akazukin chacha....
continue to support the anime industry!!!Lets do this!!!!

Last edited by manu morisato on Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
bluecrescent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:07 am Reply with quote
When I say the "best" anime I've ever seen, these are the anime that got me addicted, attached, hooked, amazed, astonished, bewildered and overwhelmed. Honestly, there are only few anime that I define as the "best"...they are as follows (in no particular order):

Naruto: For me, this is the perfect and ideal combination of most genres-action, comedy, romance, drama and slice-of-life. It has a basic theme of "reaching for your dreams and protecting those you cherish and love". Although the plot is a bit cliche, it is nevertheless exciting and unpredictable because of the remarkable fusion of most genres. What I like most about this anime is the notable character development. Character development for this series is outstanding since viewers can clearly see how each character develops emotionally because of the circumstances he/she are faced with. Viewers, like me, can't help but get attached to the characters because each of them has their own dramatic background story which imparts some slice-of-life lessons and because each character is simply lovable and endearing (even the most menacing villain is someone you'll definitely love to hate). This anime deserves a really superb ending. I hope it will have a really great conclusion that would end the story well with no loose end (I'm keeping my fingers crossed).

Death Note: A tale of deceptions and lies and an allegory of a battle of wits, Death Note has a lot of complexities in its plot that is really phenomenal and noteworthy. Death Note boasts of a well-written plot and bewildering characters that amazed and dazzled me. Although Death Note is a remarkable anime, it was still subjected to some criticisms because of its "sadist" plot which shows a young man killing criminals for the sake of justice and doubtlessly eliminating those who oppose him. Also, there is no line between good and evil, it is only how the viewers perceived it that would define what is good and evil. Nevertheless, Death Note is definitely one of the best anime I've ever seen because of its superb animation, well-written plot and notable characters.

Ouran High School Host Club: This anime defines comedy in the truest sense of the word. The plot, although simple, was able to provide a lot of hilarity and some slice-of-life lessons as well. The characters are not stereotypical, they are unique and they developed well as the story progresses. The incomparable humor of this anime comes from the extraordinarily weird circumstances that the main characters are in. The jokes and gags are really unpredictable and humorous. Animation is top-notch and noteworthy. It shows fluidity and vibrant colors that complement well the comedic atmosphere of the series. Also remarkable is the super deformed scenes which add up to the humor of the show. Ouran High School Host Club is one of the best I've ever seen because it never failed to make me laugh and because the slice-of-life aspects of the series really touched and warmed my heart.

Gundam Seed: In my opinion, this is the finest Gundam show ever. Although the plot and characters are stereotypical in the Gundam series, Gundam Seed is nevertheless exciting and unpredictable. This series has one of the best character development. The circumstances that the main characters are in change their perceptions and opinions especially about the war. Also, this circumstances they are faced with help them grow and develop well. Although the series lacks comedy, the emotional drama that it provides is enough to make viewers forget about the comedic atmosphere that the anime lacks. As expected from a Gundam show, the mechas are drawn with utmost detail and animation is outstanding. What I admire most about this anime is the contrasting perceptions of the main characters about the war and how their perceptions enabled them to fight for what they believe in.

Honey and Clover (Season 1 and 2): Honey and Clover is a sweet romantic comedy that has a dash of slice-of-life lessons which I really like and which got me attached to this series. This anime shows a laid back atmosphere and a very simple plot. Although the plot is simple, the side stories of the main characters made the anime exciting. What I like most about this series is its depth and substance. It shows a lot of reflections about love, friendship, dreams and aspirations.

I define the "worst" anime as those that got me bored, irritated, annoyed, dissappointed, disturbed and infuriated. Anime like Blood +, Kimi ga Nozomu Ein, R.O.D, Dear Boys, Maburaho, Full Moon Wo Sagashite, Seto No Hanayome and Initial D are probably the worst but I don't really have the right to judge it since I could not even muster the strength to finish the entire series since these titles got me really bored and irritated during the first few parts of the series. However, the following are the worst anime I've seen which I was able to finish (although, it was really a struggle to to finish them):

Ayashi No Ceres: I watched this anime with high expectations since it was strongly recommended. Unfortunately though, I was totally disappointed with it. I have nothing against the plot since it was somehow unpredictable and exciting. I'm disappointed with the characters since they are too cliche and boring. I was also disappointed with the love angles, especially that of Aya and Touya, because it was too mushy and sweet to the point that it is already irritating and annoying.

Midori No Hibi: The plot of this anime was too simple, there were no exciting twists. It was also slow-paced thus becoming boring and uninteresting. There was nothing special about the main characters because they are too cliche. The only notable thing about this series is the character development but it was still not enough to keep me interested in this anime.

Air: The plot has a lot of depth in it. In fact, it was too deep to the point that I can't understand it anymore. This is the main factor that made it unintersting for me. Another factor was because the anime is very slow-paced which made it boring. The only good thing about this series is its ending which is a real tear-jerker.

[Well, as of now that's all. I might add some titles to my list from time to time]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 70 of 122