• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ICv2 Conference on Anime and Manga - ICv2 White Paper

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:22 pm Reply with quote
What we're seeing in other words, is less anime being released solely because it's anime, and more for other reasons, which leads to market consolidation.

I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Manga's continued market growth (in direct correspondence with the shrinking of the American comic book audience) is only a good thing though.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This decline is driven by a contradiction, as fans demand the kind of season-set pricing that is now commonplace for American television series, but the inherent costs of licensing, producing, and dubbing anime make this difficult.

Quote:
Griepp also criticized Japanese anime production companies for continuing to insist on pricing many licenses without taking into account the actual potential of these series in the current U.S. environment.

I thought these were the most important points that need emphasizing. I really hope that FUNimation's upcoming experiment with releasing Aquarion straight-to-boxset will be a successful one. I also hope the speculation that Sony is planning to release all of Blood+ in one complete boxset after its television run is also true. Releases like these could break a lot of ground in the current market.
quartears

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quote
finally they release the information.
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:58 am Reply with quote
......Who invited Alfred Kahn to do what? *runs away*

FINALLY FIGURES please THANK YOU. What's the harm in releasing them? I really don't understand. Hundreds to thousands of DVDs/books a year? Sheesh. No one reads half of it, I'm pretty sure, yet really great series are still left on the other side of the Pacific.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:40 am Reply with quote
So what exactly went down at that panel between FUNimation, 4Kids, and ANN? I would love to hear what Al Kahn had to say.
Mecorx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:45 am Reply with quote
If prices are lowered to fit the demand of consumers then it is likely that the quality of content will further decline.

Which is why I say:
License less, Fansub more!
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote
minaki: No need to run away. Al Kahn-bashing is never out of style.

Quote:
"Japan is over....."

No, bastardizations of Japanese culture are over. Japan's been around for centuries more than your company, though.

Quote:
"Manga is dying in Japan," he said,

That must be why they still have drama and anime adaptations, as well as revenue from cell phone streaming of it.

Quote:
and continued by contending that Japanese TV anime was "tired" and in "the doldrums"

I'm sorry that they don't broadcast more crap kiddie toy commercials you can exploit.

Quote:
Kahn, who shepherded Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! to major mass market successes, pointed out that for him, unless a property could spawn a massive amount of merchandise, it simply wasn't worth doing.

Yeah, Mind Game and Tokikake were total wastes of time. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
but on the other hand in the past few years Japan has not been able to produce a new property that has enjoyed mass market success here that can compare with the track records of Pokemon, Dragonball Z, Yu-Gi-Oh! or Naruto.

Who cares? I don't watch these titles, because they help the bottom line of faceless corporations. I watch them to be entertained.
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote
...Did he really say that? GATSU, I can't even tell if you're kidding or not. That, I believe, is the saddest part.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:33 pm Reply with quote
mecorx wrote:
Which is why I say:

minakichan wrote:
...Did he really say that? GATSU, I can't even tell if you're kidding or not. That, I believe, is the saddest part.

All right here.
nebbo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
All right here.

Thanks for the link, it was a good read. I'll just get on the Al Kahn-bashing bandwagon. Why does he provide negative PR
for his company? I'm guessing the head of a company called 4Kids wouldn't know any better.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Well at least manga seems to be doing alright.

Well at least anime is really popular. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Manga's continued market growth (in direct correspondence with the shrinking of the American comic book audience) is only a good thing though.

I'm kind of hoping that stuff like Aquarion, if it does well, will help make season sets more viable for more obscure shows. It all depends though.... either way, we'll probably continue seeing more kinds of releases [complete series sets like Aquarion, subonly dvd's like MB's Yuri Fan line, anime aired on TV boxsets like Prince of Tennis and One Piece, simultaneous or almost simultaneous releases for coproductions like Kite Liberator and StraightJacket(which'll likely hit when the 2nd or 3rd ep hits in Japan, with said eps on it's first disc), retailer focus on stuff on TV and high quality theatrical releases (sales of which by companies like Sony, Funimation and Manga have the benefit of helping more theatrical anime get made), stuff made pretty much just for the domestic market like Robotech Shadow Chronicles, or continuations of stuff that was hits here though less so in Japan like Karas etc etc etc]

Anyhoo, regarding domestic comics- there's actually been a massive growth in sales for many companies. Graphic novels are big business. While superhero comics are doing more or less the same [albeit with much better Bookstore sales on trade paperbacks and digest collections], stuff from smaller publishers has been on the rise, as well as a massive growth for literary comics like those of Fantagraphics and Drawn and Quarterly, leading many prose publishers to start graphic novel lines of their own [one of the best selling graphic novels of last year was Fun Home, quite a bits away from both manga and superhero comics].

Anyhoo, it's part of why we've seen an increase in domestic manga style comics, and an increase in Graphic Novels in general..... companies are really gettting into bookstores who previously would of just made it by in comic shops, overlooked by those retailers. Longtime small pubs like Oni Press and Slave Labor now publish most of their books directly to b+w graphic novels, which shows just how much of an impact Manga is having on domestic comics, in helping them make inroads in bookstores, and influencing the format they're released in. I would of thought DC/Marvel sales would be down given increase competition from Manga and the exponential growth of non-superhero/non-manga style GN's, but the fact is, right now everything's doing pretty well, and keeping growing, as more crossover occurs between the audiences of graphic novels, as well as more general readers getting into them [just look at the success of Scholastic's Graphix line for younger readers, or First Second, or the Flight anthology, or big selling literary books like Persepolis from major prose publishers].

Though it's mostly due to Shojo Manga really getting bookstores into graphic novels as a profitable category, with stuff like TP's early titles like Sailor Moon. In the future, things'll stop expanding as quickly [but continue growing in a smaller way], but should keep at a level sustainable for a lot of publishers [and those who don't, well, they'll just drop out, but that's nothing new to comics]. Most bookstores now offer far more diverse content then most comic shops do, and are actually selling stuff, so it's pretty exciting.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
Mecorx wrote:
If prices are lowered to fit the demand of consumers then it is likely that the quality of content will further decline.

Which is why I say:

Uh huh...yeah...then who's going to put food on the production staff's table? I don't remember fansub paying a dime on anime production.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
and continued by contending that Japanese TV anime was "tired" and in "the doldrums"

I'm sorry that they don't broadcast more crap kiddie toy commercials you can exploit.

Kahn doesn't need "crap kiddie toy commercial" shows; he can take good anime and turn it into crap! (One Piece, Ojamajo Doremi, etc.) Evil or Very Mad
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:51 pm Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
Interesting Note about Alfred Kahn is that he donated money to Rudy Giuliani's Presidential Campaign, If you had questions about who's side he's on, now you know.

What does that have to do with anime and manga? NOTHING.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2