• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Psycho Busters GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:29 am Reply with quote
I picked this GN up six times this weekend. Each time I wanted to buy it, but damn it all if I kept thinking the charcter on the front cover looked like a broken Roxas from Kingdom hearts.

Each time resulted in its putting down.
After reading the review..I think if I have some extra money this weekend i may pick it up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:24 am Reply with quote
Here's some extra info on this manga that the reviewer left out, which may or may not help it's case. Yuya Aoki, the storywriter, was also the storywriter for GetBackers. That in itself means instant buy for me, because even if the artwork doesn't quite measure up to the distinctness of GB, at least the story should get really interesting later on, even if it starts out slow/ho-hum... Definitely at least check it out before buying, either way. It may be nothing new, but sometimes familiar can be just as rewarding. Smile
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Gee, no kidding.
Right on the cover under the author's name "Author of GetBackers". What was GetBackers? Seen Hevn? Are those K-cups? Ban has the Evil Eye ability to cause 1 minute dreams plus Snakebite, a super-strong grip. Lately Ban's greeting of Hevn is to squeeze those whatever-sized-mounds. Partner Ginji Amano conducts electricity & was known as the Lightning Lord back in the controlled experiment of a getto he grew up in. Said Getto is run by an evil organization called the Brain Trust. Along the road we meet Himiko(last of her clan) who uses perfumes to create different effects. Kazuki (clan was exterminated) controls string. Jubei, his protector, throws needles. Shido (last of his clan) controls animals. Emishi (last of his clan)...
Isn't is all one big mass of special-powered young'uns (Most everyone is under 25. The incredibly cool Akabane [can make a weapon from anything that has mixed with his blood] is apparently older than anyone will specify)

And you expected what out of this title?
I got it yesterday. Haven't done more than page thru it. I noticed the artist says she was told to make it sexier & it does look more pretty shojo overall
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:02 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Gee, no kidding.
Right on the cover under the author's name "Author of GetBackers".

Actually, it says "the creator of Get Backers", but I digress... sorry for pointing out the "obvious", when imo, that text is rather hard to read on the small image of the cover, and most people, like myself at first, probably wouldn't stare at the cover image on the review page long enough to notice that text is there... I didn't even notice it until after I'd bought it and taken it home. I grabbed it for the artwork anyway.
And excuse me for liking sensational action series targeted at males... geez...
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I was complaining about the review, not you, darkness.
Sorry
I enjoyed it.
I did read it. I wish we'd gotten the original artist (who apparently illustrated the story in novel form or as it was printed by chapters in the anthology if that's how it came originally) because it does look too soft still, though artists often perfect the art as they progress (the artist commented on Akabane's hair, coat & hat getting longer as he moved into the story)
Having read it, it's fun. Of course I love GetBackers & we're 20 volumes in on that one now so I have more invested & I love the characters more, but there is potential with this one even if it is really more of the same (Brain Trust. Farmers. Yeah)
I even have suspicions about the lead's abilities (Spell for Chameleon-not that I can spell chamelean. Stupid lizard. anyway-more luck-based. Isn't there another manga with that?)
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:00 am Reply with quote
Ah... okay... my bad.
Yeah, I hope this series can go somewhere and that the artwork can tighten up a little bit. But as long as the story continues to develop at a similar pace to Get Backers, I'll be happy. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1