• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Encyc links on the main page

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you ok with the green links on the main page?
They don't bother me
85%
 85%  [ 6 ]
I prefer the old way
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:33 am Reply with quote
I just recently made a change to the main page so that green encyclopedia links are diplayed there in addition to being displayed in the articles themselves. So I'd like to know if you think they clutter up the main page too much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps you could place it as an option in the preferences?
Case

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 5:57 pm Reply with quote
It seems to me that this question deserves more input than just the message board users alone. You may get an unfairly slanted perspective from us too, since we are accustomed to extracting information from complicated layouts like our very own message boards.

Would it be feasible to put some kind of poll on the main page? That would give the more casual visitors an opportunity to have their opinions heard, and it would probably give us a more fair assessment of the situation.

Just a thought.

For the recond: I like things as they are now.

The green links are indeed useful, but I do think they would make the main page look a bit cluttered. Since I don't use them in most of the articles I read anyway, having to navigate to the full text of the article doesn't seem like an unfair hoop to have to jump though.

As the site is now, the links are there if I want them and the main page looks neat and is easy to read at a glance. I like that.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

Yeah, that's an option. But what should unregistered users see?

sailormech wrote:
The green links are indeed useful, but I do think they would make the main page look a bit cluttered. Since I don't use them in most of the articles I read anyway, having to navigate to the full text of the article doesn't seem like an unfair hoop to have to jump though.

Adding the links to the main page is mostly there for the short blurbs that don't have a full article to jump to.

sailormech wrote:
As the site is now, the links are there if I want them and the main page looks neat and is easy to read at a glance. I like that.

I'm not really sure how to interpret that. As the site is now, the green links *do* appear on the front page. Maybe they're so non-disturbing that you didn't notice them? Wink At first the idea was to make the links invisible on the main page, so that it would look clean but you'd still be able to point a word and see if it was linked. But when I added the feature, I found that the encyclopedia links weren't that cluttering after all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

By default, I think main page green links should be off. I agree the front page can easily get cluttered with the links, if we're not careful. If we _really_ need a link, we can always manually insert the link ourselves -- it's not hard.

it'd be nice to promote the encyclopedia a bit more... but I don't think now is the proper time to do it.

it's a good resource now, but it still needs more (general) information to be something that _everyone_ who reads the site needs. otherwise, people will look at it now and say, "well, it's nice, but I was looking for pics of Asuka from Eva. Oh well. :(" and then goes back to reading the news.

OTOH, with like, half of our readers hitting the encyclopedia, it's already proving valuable (or at least amusing. ^^;;;)...

... but I still think it should be optional, defaulting to off, at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

Tempest wrote:

A general poll would probably be best. And I just thought of a way to use phpbb to make public polls. I'll need your help, but it'll be easier than making our own poll program from scratch or customizing another....

but... I'm not crazy about the phpbb program since it doesn't allow users to add their own answers.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I've created a public poll for this and I'm going to lock this thread. Please post any new comments & re-vote in the new poll, thanks.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1