• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I'm guessing no one here likes One Piece...?

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
romanmack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:51 am Reply with quote
Not that it's a big deal or anything, but I don't even see one topic about the series here... While Naruto, Death Note, etc. seem to have their own topics.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:57 am Reply with quote
I think it's just that Death Note is the new toy, so to speak. Just like when Fullmetal Alchemist was first out it was all the rage so everyone talked about it.

There are plenty of One Piece fans around (I'm not one of them, though) so I'm sure you'll find someone. The main thing people seemed to talk about, though, was all the outrage over the English alterations to dialogue and animation.
romanmack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:51 am Reply with quote
Yeah, well, the 4Kids dub would cause that. But now with the FUNi dub out, you'd think there'd be more episode discussions or something.... Oh, well.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:14 am Reply with quote
While there's not a lot of conversations dedicated to OP, if you hang around here, you'll see it mentioned frequently as an example by people trying to prove a point. To be perfectly honest, I don't know of any titles that are really liked on other sites but are not liked by the users here, while the reverse situation seems to happen more often than I think about what I'm going to eat next (which I assure you, is a lot).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:36 am Reply with quote
I stopped where they spoiler[fell from Skypiea into the pirate base,Sanji has another cooking battle]

One Piece is a huge adventure.(Not for everyone)
Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:30 am Reply with quote
I think it's probably because ANN skewers towards an older readership (older teen/young adult) than the average One Piece viewer due to enforcement of quality control in posts (as in the "OMG series/character X is so kewel" and list threads getting locked and/or ridiculed by other posters). This might intimidate some of the preteen/early teen viewers to whom One Piece seems to be marketed who might post if there's an exceptional episode or turn of events.

I've noticed some Naruto threads here and there too, but haven't noticed if they tend to get locked. If there's a One Piece topic that you want to discuss, your best bet is to start a thread yourself.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, I only watched the first few episodes, but in my opinion the anime isn't very good. Even if you put aside the issues specific to the american side, it's just doesn't do the source material justice. The comic timing is way off, and things like Luffy insulting opponents cluelessly and characters freaking out when someone misses the point don't translate well from the manga.

The manga is awesome, though. One of Shonen Jump USA's major draws.
darkblast

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote
i like one piece i think that it is asome but there is beter
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
One-Piece looks too "cartoonish" for my tastes -- particularly the character's mouths, which are almost always (constantly) gaping wide-open. Also, I'm not into pirates anyways. At times, I do try to watch it via Cartoon Network -- however, I usually end up tuning out (not paying attention to it).
Azathrael

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
I think it's probably because ANN skewers towards an older readership (older teen/young adult) than the average One Piece viewer due to enforcement of quality control in posts (as in the "OMG series/character X is so kewel" and list threads getting locked and/or ridiculed by other posters). This might intimidate some of the preteen/early teen viewers to whom One Piece seems to be marketed who might post if there's an exceptional episode or turn of events.

And that's why I prefer ANN over other anime sites.

I did give One Piece a try and stopped at around episode 10. Way too childish for me (even Naruto is more mature IMO). But a few of my Japanese friends are telling me to watch it a bit more, as it gets good once it enters some arc. And since they rarely watch anime (and if they do, only the ones they absolutely like), I figured I'd give it a second try.

/But One Piece animation looks more childish than Pokemon, and the idea of a hero made of rubber just doesn't seem appeal to me...
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
You have to watch a few arcs to see how Luffy acquires his crew.It's not pretty.It is too big for most people to handle.There are many intense moments.

The One Piece series is misunderstood just as the Naruto series is.Those who have seen it,know,it's not really aimed at kids at all.

Unfortunately it seems 4Kids has already ruined the One Piece image.

Quote:
/But One Piece animation looks more childish than Pokemon, and the idea of a hero made of rubber just doesn't seem appeal to me...

the rubber fruit is one of the many pieces of Devil fruit in that set universe.Luffy foolishly ate the rubber fruit in the beginning without knowledge of it.Now,he can never go near water again,but he still wants to be the Pirate King.

I have never seen the English dub of One Piece,but have heard the horror stories.

If you considerspoiler[Arlong murdering Bellemere right in front of Nami and her sister,and then Nami's life being held for ransom,like Pokemon?Is an insult.]

The Giant arc that 4Kids cut out(I just read the Wiki)is one of the best ones.Major plot points are revealed there.You guys are missing a great series.
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Quote:
If you considerspoiler[Arlong murdering Bellemere right in front of Nami and her sister,and then Nami's life being held for ransom,like Pokemon?Is an insult.]

LOL yeah. I'll also add the scene with Crocodile spoiler[giving Luffy the 'hook']. The editing in the dub is extreme. They do it to the point where they can become laughable.
romanmack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Who cares about the 4kids dub, though. Now that the FUNi dub is airing, the 4Kids dub should just be thrown into the forgotten corner.

You guys are talking as if the 4Kids dub is still on...
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:13 pm Reply with quote
The manga does take a while to get going. I pegged it as mediocre all the way up to the story where they visited Gold Roger's hometown (Rougetown, it was called?) That's I think nearly 100 chapters in. But at that point it picks up and moves full speed toward awesome. People have also been calling it cartoonish. True, and that's exactly the point. What the series is trying to do is put a slightly shonenish spin on the aesthetic of Bugs Bunny- humorous battles that are ultimately an excuse to throw around sight gags, surreal comedy, and puns. The fact that it involves pirates should be a hint that it's meant to be silly- before Johnny Depp re-invented it, pirates were the campiest, silliest, cheesiest thing ever, and One Piece has consistantly played that to the hilt.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh there's lots of One Piece fans on here if you look hard enough. And guess what? I'm one of 'em! Anime hyper And I believe we did indeed have a thread that discussed the series as of the Funimation dub. Let me see if I can find it........ Ah, here it is!

Anyways, it's a pretty darn shame that this series got really poor treatment over here, otherwise I really think it'd be at least almost as popular as Naruto anyways. It really is up there as one of the all time shounen greats. Personally, I don't really care about how "childish" a series is. I just base how much I like it off of how good it is overall. Thing is, even though it really is quite childish, it's still got a lot for the older audiences to love as well, or at least the "truly" mature anyways. Wink I think it's a very creative and imaginative series with a lot of really fun adventure and exciting epicness. With probably some of the best comic relief of all time as well! Laughing In a way, I can almost say it's the crazy, odd, chidlishness about it that I love so much.

And Luffy as the main hero is just awesome! Definitely one of my all-time favorite lead characters. It can also be quite emotionally powerful at times as well, with some of the things that Luffy does for his friends and all the close bonds between the characters.

Pretty much everything I love about a good shounen series, and then some, even if it doesn't have that "cool factor." But I don't know man, it actually can be pretty cool, just in a different way than your typical coolness. Wink And I'm actually starting to realize as I watch the episodes more that it actually does indeed have a much better storyline than I originally thought, it just doesn't get too deep into it yet. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12