• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Click - December 29 - January 4

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Deleted.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:32 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the new Transformers show, a lot of people are already whining because they tried to make the robots more angular and give them some more expressive movement. It's a little different than the norm, but not bad. The writing is comparatively good. The voices generally much better ("Spongebob's" Chris Latta-inspired Starscream is great). The animation is much much better than the somewhat broken, clunky 3-D the last few shows have been using. It's at least on bar animation-wise with "The Batman" or "Teen Titans". Whether you like that or not, it's at least better than most recent (and not so recent) Transformers shows. Thus far, I like it, despite the nay-sayers.
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:59 pm Reply with quote
While you are right that Adult Swim isn't airing Death Note this week, you accidently put Adult Swim in the place where YTV is suppose to be that. Wink

Kinda surprised you mentioned the Transformers: Animated "movie(which is just the first three episodes combined together)" since it's not an anime.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quote
You also missed all of the anime airing on Adult Swim on Monday night.

Shin-chan 5
GITS:SAC 1
Eureka 16
Inuyasha 41

The Futurama marathon that night only goes to midnight. After that is a normal Adult Swim schedule (with Family Guy taking over Futurama's timeslots during the repeat run, as Futurama's contract expires in the middle of the Monday night block).
Canuckian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quote
SSJ Gohan 64 wrote:
Kinda surprised you mentioned the Transformers: Animated "movie(which is just the first three episodes combined together)" since it's not an anime.

Depends on what you think anime is. As if you use the simplest definition of anime in English Audiences it is, animation originating from Japan, which Animated is, as it's animated by Mook DLE, and Studio 4. However, if you mean a full blown, written by Japanese, for the Japanese, with Japanese Air Dates(Which I'm sure this show will get, and this time, hopefully not get characters' gender confused), etc. then it is not anime. So, really, it's judgemental.

I have to wait to catch the premiere when YTV airs it on January 1st at 7PM, with something that is related to the show to air on the 5th at 9:30 AM(Some press releases state the show will air episode 4 on the 5, others state it will be a re-air of the "movie"). However, I'm still eagerly waiting for it.

And of course Death Note, last night was dramatic tennis playing, on Friday what other antics will Light Yagami and the Investigators get into next to prove/disprove who is really Kira?

Oh ya, I should mention(For those who don't mind countless repeats), on New Years eve YTV is having some Anime Marathon. I doubt there will be any premieres, however they'll be airing Pokemon: Diamond, Naruto, The Fullmetal Alchemist Movie, and Death Note, from like 6PM to 6AM.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Deleted.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Canuckian wrote:
However, if you mean a full blown, written by Japanese, for the Japanese, with Japanese Air Dates(Which I'm sure this show will get, and this time, hopefully not get characters' gender confused), etc. then it is not anime. So, really, it's judgemental.

I was going by that definition.
rocklobster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:32 pm Reply with quote
So, with a hole in the AS schedule, does that mean Bleach will come back to fill the void?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quote
Actually, these latest episodes of Naruto, while still in the manga plotline, have only been about, say, 50% - 75% actually from the manga. A whole crapload of it is overextending fight scenes, adding in totally made-up and anime-original backstory, and things like that.

rocklobster wrote:
So, with a hole in the AS schedule, does that mean Bleach will come back to fill the void?

It's coming back with new episodes March 1.
simmererdown

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:52 am Reply with quote
rocklobster wrote:

It's coming back with new episodes March 1.[/quote]

Repeat episodes start this week at 11 to lead into the new episodes in March.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:39 am Reply with quote
What a tennis match indeed.

It looks like Canada's going to head into the final stretch for Gundam Seed Destiny. Should I start expecting the worse at this point? =\

Also, I just wanted to bring up a couple of things, that might be of interest to those Canadians who aren't aware of this by now:

- 3x3 Eyes is airing on G4TechTV now, replacing Texhnolyze. Episode 3 will air on January 5th at 8:30 PM.
- Teletoon's going to air a few of Geneon's anime movies. Throughout January, a new movie will air every Friday at 10 PM. Akira, Appleseed, Armitage III: Poly Matrix and Armitage III: Dual Matrix will be aired, in that order.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:03 am Reply with quote
Egad, that's right! Brian, you missed Akira on Teletoon! Only four days into the year, and we already have a groundbreaking debut. The film repeats on Saturday, though, so please be sure to mention it next week!

I guess it would be too much to hope that ANN posts about it on the front page again? They certainly haven't given it too much attention so far...
billyarnie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:48 am Reply with quote
Brian, you also missed a new fave of this old geezer: Witchblade. IFC is premiering it Fri. Jan. 4 @11:30 PM ET (repeat @ Sat. Jan 5, 1:45 AM ET). Regular premieres are Fridays @11:30 PM ET, with the repeat between 1:35 AM & 1:45 AM, after their Grindhouse feature. On Jan. 25, the repeat isn't until 2:30 AM ET. Here's the IFC Witchblade page; ignore the "Fridays at 11:00 PM", as that's wrong: http://www.ifc.com/series?aId=21890.
Check IFC's schedule to get your future times; I don't want to see this skipped in future columns. Or Else! Or Else What? Umm, let me get back to you...
Now for a personal rant: [adult swim], for what ever reason, Screwed This Up ROYALLY. In a ANN article, FUNimation was pitching this to [adult swim]. Whether too much fan service or just too much Good Ol' American Tits & Ass (T&A for you Canadians), they passed. With the violent anime & comedy they show, I don't think they were offended by the violence. Credit to IFC for picking the show up; however, IFC is not on my Time Warner Standard Cable, as Sci Fi & [adult swim] are. I currently can't afford to upgrade to Digital Cable, or switch to satellite or AT&T U-verse to get IFC, plus a crapload of other channels that I may or may not watch.
I've scratched up enough money to get Vols. 1 & 2 on DVD so far & I plan to get the rest as they come out... soon. Curse You, [adult swim]! If a show like Witchblade doesn't fit the coveted 18-34 Male demographic you Say you want, WHAT DOES?!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
rocklobster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote
don't forget FUNimation has its own channel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
TheVok

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:21 pm Reply with quote
With regard to defining 'anime,' there's definitely a huge difference between simply being animated in Japan (the new Transformers) and being full produced in Japan.

Yeah, 'Paranoia Agent' on G4 in Canada was great, except the lack of on-screen text translations on some episodes that really needed them.

Also of note, 'Black Lagoon' a couple of days ago got away with the phrase "f**king c**t" on G4 in the 8pm timeslot. You definitely don't hear that in the U.S. on non-premium cable ....

I'm interested to see how Teletoon handles 'Akira' (though I'll be watching 'Death Note' for the first half hour) ... I assumed they'd be going with the latter-day dub, but my local TV listings credit the Japanese voice cast, so ... who knows? Could be a rare subtitled anime telecast. I won't get my hopes up, even though after all these years I still haven't seen 'Akira' with subtitles ....

Is Razer airing anything these days other than Shin-Chan?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2