• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I'm guessing no one here likes One Piece...?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

The One Piece series is misunderstood just as the Naruto series is.Those who have seen it,know,it's not really aimed at kids at all.

One Piece and Naruto are aimed at kids, though; primarily middle-school age boys.
But even so, I suppose it could be enjoyed by anyone.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I stopped where they. . .

You stopped too soon, the upcoming Water7/CP-9 arc is the best of the series.

Quote:

You guys are talking as if the 4Kids dub is still on...

Well, until Funi redubs the first however many episodes (including the Little Garden arc) and reaires them, there is still that taint over the early part of the series.

Anyways, I think that One Piece has more heart to it than just about anythign else. The graphical style is cartoonish, and that throws some people, but it's a fairly mature series at its core, with some pretty powerful emotion to it.

Quote:
One Piece and Naruto are aimed at kids, though; primarily middle-school age boys.

Japanese kids though, which are the equivalent of American late teens or so (Japanese teens get to watch boobies, and their adults get things that American adults should probably never see). Wink
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:06 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
You stopped too soon, the upcoming Water7/CP-9 arc is the best of the series.

It took me about 7 days straight to get where I stopped.

Thanks I'll keep going.
Twilight's Chapter 13

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:30 am Reply with quote
One Piece's style is so..American. It looks too 2D and resembles cartoon films of the 70s or something. Anime style is so much nicer, that's why I don't watch One Piece. I watched one episode and hated the animation.

That and 4Kids is 4*Hell.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Twilight's Chapter 13 wrote:
One Piece's style is so..American. It looks too 2D and resembles cartoon films of the 70s or something. Anime style is so much nicer, that's why I don't watch One Piece. I watched one episode and hated the animation.

WTF, so "anime style" is suppose to be 3D, neo-futuristic and crazy purple hair? Japanese artist have many style of drawing that is unique. Characteristic of anime style can included big eyes, speedline etc, in which One Piece has.

What's next? Pokemon isn't anime now because it's american style as well?

Ohoni wrote:

Quote:

Japanese kids though, which are the equivalent of American late teens or so (Japanese teens get to watch boobies, and their adults get things that American adults should probably never see). Wink

Have you ever been to Japan before or even know what it's like? Bias views and assumption, how typical. Aren't you from Canada or something.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:

Have you ever been to Japan before or even know what it's like? Bias views and assumption, how typical. Aren't you from Canada or something.

*blows ref's whistle*

FOUL! The fact that he's an idiot is no reason to insult the people who happen to live near him!

Last edited by BellosTheMighty on Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jih2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't hate One Piece. Heck if it wasn't for the fans I wouldn't hate on it at all. The only reason I dislike it is that it goes on forever like most Shonen Jump series. Sure, it's fun but how many hours do I need to watch a group of character battle their way through another baddie and reach a new level of power.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:
I don't hate One Piece. Heck if it wasn't for the fans I wouldn't hate on it at all. The only reason I dislike it is that it goes on forever like most Shonen Jump series. Sure, it's fun but how many hours do I need to watch a group of character battle their way through another baddie and reach a new level of power.

It's not really about the fights in this case- it's about the fun you have along the way. For example, Walpol turning a huge frickin' cannon on Luffy to blow him away- only to find out that it's rusted beyond use and there are birds living in it now.
RPGamer246

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:18 pm Reply with quote
i think one piece is awesome, only thing is i got into it after seeing a few episodes on cartoon network and though the whole pirate thing was cool and then when i realized it was 300+ episodes for me to see i decided i would need ALOT of time to catch up which i dont have so i dont keep up with it, i just watch it when its on once and a while. i hope Funimation releases a boxset of the beginning episodes with thier dub so i can pick it up and watch it.
Twilight's Chapter 13

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:53 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

WTF, so "anime style" is suppose to be 3D, neo-futuristic and crazy purple hair? Japanese artist have many style of drawing that is unique. Characteristic of anime style can included big eyes, speedline etc, in which One Piece has.

I'm referring to the way One Piece's style resembles that of, say, the old Bugs Bunny Show. It's just a generalisation, like you generalise anybody who has bias and assumption as Canadian. Napolean once said that "history is written by the victor", meaning he is biased as well. I dare you to say he's Canadian.

Chill. It's a forum. The internet holds many people from different countries and backgrounds. Being racist isn't going to make any friends for you.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:46 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

I'm referring to the way One Piece's style resembles that of, say, the old Bugs Bunny Show. It's just a generalisation, like you generalise anybody who has bias and assumption as Canadian. Napolean once said that "history is written by the victor", meaning he is biased as well. I dare you to say he's Canadian.

Chill. It's a forum. The internet holds many people from different countries and backgrounds. Being racist isn't going to make any friends for you.

You don't appreciate hand drawn,hand painted anime?Looks old to you eh?Newer anime IMO is prettier but shallow.American animation is inferior to anime in terms of continuity and detail.

You compare Bugs Bunny to One Piece?Each episode of Bugs Bunny begins and ends in the same episode.One piece is a huge adventure,like a 100+ hour RPG.You have to invest some time in the series,with anything really.

Though I can see it's difficult to do so when 4kids tainted it's reputation.There is a big difference between Japanese Animation and American cartoons.Unless you believe Americans wear sailor uniforms and eat currybread and onigiri from their stylized Bento boxes.
tsukimori.len

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:41 am Reply with quote
I think one piece is pretty nice...Luffy's antics never fail to make me laugh Smile but sometimes, the fights just take hella long, and the story line just seems to repeat itself over and over again. you know...fight some evil captain then prevail. gain a new friend. there's some sentimental story of that character, everyone works together luffy gets mad, and then, after that adventure's done, they meet another character, hear their sad story, make them their companion...like that stuff Smile But its still hilarious if your ooking for something comedic to kill time wth Very Happy
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh my a One Piece discussion. Time for me to rant.

I love One Piece. From the story to the art, to the japanese voices. I hat 4kids ruined "my fave show". Funi is trying to save it, but I feel it may be too late to get the ball really rolling.

I'm somewhere up around episode 333...I haven't been watching it as closely as I use too. Saving for a power marathon in a few days.

I like Sanji the most, with his curly brow. Luffy is my second fave. I only have the first volume of the manga, but I plan to buy more in the future.

Very Happy So yeah were around. I can't remember the other person who comes to mind, but they have a Chopper avvie on these boards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jocool88

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:55 pm Reply with quote
One Piece fan here, and i must say i never knew so many people didn't like it... it is in my top ten anime so far an i have watched over 100 series of anime. given it is an action/adventure genre which i tend to prefer but still.

I seem to have been stuck in the middle of nowhere for too long since i didn't even know that the one piece anime had been poorly dubbed and "tainted". as for myself i am caught up with the anime series but i only watch it subbed with the original japenese cast and i dare say they do an excellent job portraying their characters.

hmmm i could keep talking about this for a while but i dont think too many people are interested in reading a long reply so in closing,

One Piece is excellent imho well worth the time it takes to watch.
Twilight's Chapter 13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:54 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

You don't appreciate hand drawn,hand painted anime?Looks old to you eh?Newer anime IMO is prettier but shallow.American animation is inferior to anime in terms of continuity and detail.

You compare Bugs Bunny to One Piece?Each episode of Bugs Bunny begins and ends in the same episode.One piece is a huge adventure,like a 100+ hour RPG.You have to invest some time in the series,with anything really.

Though I can see it's difficult to do so when 4kids tainted it's reputation.There is a big difference between Japanese Animation and American cartoons.Unless you believe Americans wear sailor uniforms and eat currybread and onigiri from their stylized Bento boxes.

*Headdesk*

This is getting nowhere. I was referring to the drawing style, like I said earlier...The content differs a lot, without doubt, since One Piece contains no bunnies...but anyways.

As for the last sentence you wrote, I believe not all japanese "wear sailor uniforms and eat currybread and onigiri from their stylized Bento boxes" either. The characters in Anime or cartoon do as they wish, no matter the country.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12