• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Year in Reviews

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Air is based on one of those games where, if you play your cards right, you get to sleep with as many ladies as you want.

Ugh..... please. Most eroge now, especially Key games, have one path at a time, so it's not possible to "get" all the girls in one round.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:53 am Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
Quote:
Air is based on one of those games where, if you play your cards right, you get to sleep with as many ladies as you want.

Ugh..... please. Most eroge now, especially Key games, have one path at a time, so it's not possible to "get" all the girls in one round.

I'm sure in her original review Bamboo was being a bit facetious and just using a generalized statement. You seem to be taking this a little personally and getting a bit bent of shape over nothing. I hope you're just joking and not being serious with your complaint here. And you say I'm creepy.
samuraijellyfish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:57 am Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
Quote:

Well, really, it's okay for him to make a generalization about an H-game because not everyone would know what he was talking about. And what's an easier way to describe an H-game than saying you get to sleep with lots of different girls? I know it's a bit more complicated than that (what with my endless sessions of F/sn, and having played a Key game or two), but the average anime fan isn't going to care about the intricacies of H-game mechanics.
Kyouki-Kurenai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:28 am Reply with quote
i never played disgaea (sp) but i enjoyed the anime very much.

also thought rumbling hearts wasnt anything special

as usual, i dont agree with ANN staff on a lot of things
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:04 am Reply with quote
Ugh, moe in a "best of 2007" list?

ANN, what were you thinking?
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:36 am Reply with quote
My pick for worst kids show would be the live-action Negima.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:14 am Reply with quote
I felt a bit guilty about not having Cat's Eye on my top 50 list but only had a chance to watch the first couple DVDs since they were all released in the last couple months and I usually only allocate enough time to watch one DVD for any given series a month. I will agree that Cat's Eye definitely stands the test of time better than Orguss or Nobody's Boy.

Bamboo, did you completely miss Ergo Proxy? I noticed that you didn't review any DVDs from this series.

I admire the fact that Black Cat, Kasimasi, or Bleach didn't get Shelf Worthy this year which is a move that went against many fans, although I agree with you. Although I really enjoyed Haruhi (I ranked it at 25) I will also agree that it wasn't the best show of the year. I also am glad that you gave both Galaxy Railways box set (which would have been on my list if it were released in 2007) Solty Rei and Flag Shelf worthy marks. I actually liked the much hated 009-1 as well, but unfortunately it just missed my top 50 mark.

As for differences in opinion I'm still trying to get into Red Garden and haven't given up on it yet. I also couldn't get into Tokko or Nerima Daikon Brothers, but fortunately they were both only 3 DVD series. I've been also a bit let down with Tsubasa Chronicles which barely makes the cutoff point for DVDs to get for me. I also had trouble getting into Afro Samurai, but then again I never cared for films like Ninja Scroll as well.

I'm also a bit sad that you didn't like Utawarerumono. I really enjoy how the series throws you into the story. Like you I didn't think much of the first volume of School Rumble, but found myself laughing a bit at the second DVD. By the time I got to the third and fourth DVDs I found this series really funny and the show sits comfortably at #33 on my list for new shows in 2007.

Overall I find your opinions tend to line up fairly closely to mine (more so than Zak and Theron) and the only two shelf worthy titles from this year (not counting a couple from this month that have not arrived yet) that I'm missing are Girls High and Peach Girl, which I'm sure to pick up soon.

You should put up a public anime lists under your "my anime."
Hanatarou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:58 am Reply with quote
Prior to your review, I had heard many good things about Beck. Due to your raving, I'm now buying Beck. Everything you said was true.
Thanks, it's one of the best purchases I have ever made.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:00 am Reply with quote
samuraijellyfish wrote:
Well, really, it's okay for HER to make a generalization about an H-game because not everyone would know what SHE was talking about.
Psst, I fixed your pronouns.

CitizenGeek wrote:
Ugh, moe in a "best of 2007" list?

ANN, what were you thinking?
Bamboo is a lovely woman and a talented writer but as of yet I don't think she is actually the sum total of ANN.

Also, if she liked AIR, then she liked it. It's on my "best of" list for the year too. Contrary to what you might think, your opinion is not the word of God, thus some people have differing opinions as to what exactly deserves to be on a "best of 2007" list.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:20 am Reply with quote
Wow. I strongly agree with your choice of favorites. I actually stayed away from the "worst" on the list because of reviews like yours.

The one favorite I am avoiding is Beck. Not because it doesn't sound good, but because I started the manga a few years ago and am IN LOVE with it. I'm scared that if I watch the anime it will spoil something in the manga series. I'll try and watch the anime when Tokyopop is done publishing the manga. (Which considering they're only on volume 11, will probably be in 2012 Anime hyper)

Happy New Year!
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Also, if she liked AIR, then she liked it. It's on my "best of" list for the year too. Contrary to what you might think, your opinion is not the word of God, thus some people have differing opinions as to what exactly deserves to be on a "best of 2007" list.

I never even suggested my opinion was the word of God, and I understand that different people have different opinions .... but putting moe on a list as publicised as this? Ugh.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:12 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Wow. I strongly agree with your choice of favorites. I actually stayed away from the "worst" on the list because of reviews like yours.

The one favorite I am avoiding is Beck. Not because it doesn't sound good, but because I started the manga a few years ago and am IN LOVE with it. I'm scared that if I watch the anime it will spoil something in the manga series. I'll try and watch the anime when Tokyopop is done publishing the manga. (Which considering they're only on volume 11, will probably be in 2012 Anime hyper)

Happy New Year!

FYI, it should now be perfectly safe to start watching the anime anytime you like if you are current on the TokyoPop manga. The first 5 DVDs only cover events through halfway into manga volume 9.

(And the manga is still ongoing in Japan, so it is unlikely that TokyoPop would finish publication even by 2012 unless they drop it)
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote
CitizenGeek wrote:
I never even suggested my opinion was the word of God, and I understand that different people have different opinions .... but putting moe on a list as publicised as this? Ugh.
Some people like moe, in spite of it's rather vocal detractors who seem to have a personal stake in the matter. Not everyone agrees with you that it's not worthy of being on a list "as publicized as this." Besides, it was one title. AIR might be the only moe series she likes.

Regardless, it's not something to do a facepalm over. With the "ugh" noises in your posts, you're acting like a single moe series, getting a postive review, is some terrible thing that is making you physically ill and that detracts from ANN as a whole or Bamboo's column as a part. If it makes you feel better, I'm fairly certain from his past comments that Zac rather hates moe anime.
james039

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote
CitizenGeek wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

Air is actually pretty good. It isn't exactly a moe panderfest either. You should check it out, unless you're truly put off by any program that contains any form of *cuteness* Embarassed
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote
CitizenGeek wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

While I agree with you that I wouldn't want to see moe like Kanon or Air on these lists, most of the things I hear about Air are good.

That said, while I really really love Ergo Proxy, I'm most disappointed by the fact that Mushishi, which is BY FAR the best series released in R1 this year in my books, is not even mentioned on this list. That made me sad. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5