• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu Yu Hakusho and Dragon Ball Z return to Toonami in January

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenBeck0!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
I'm actually kind of glad that DBZ is back Very Happy ! I wonder if they'll start from the Sayan saga again.

No! Do not speak of the Sagas! We don't want mindless DBZ Zombie fans arguing about the Saga that CN should show first! They can sense the word "Saga" from lightyears away...

Last edited by GoldenBeck0! on Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:36 pm Reply with quote
That is a good question. Since FUNimation has openly made plans to re-dub all the DBZ episodes that Saban did once they wrap up GT, it'll be interesting to see if Cartoon Network waits for those revised versions or simply airs the Saiya-Jin Saga episodes they already have until they get the new ones in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Since FUNimation has openly made plans to re-dub all the DBZ episodes that Saban did once they wrap up GT

They really need to go all the way through the Frieza Saga. In the episodes directly after the switch the dub is really horrible.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:56 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Well, all I can say is if they air the Saban made episodes, I'll watch it. As cheesy as it is, I at least like the Ocean voices. But that's just me.

No, it isn't. I loved Gohan's original dub voice, as well as the rest, and was pretty upset when they changed, but by the time the Cell Saga hit the voices were good again.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:13 am Reply with quote
Samurai CDZ wrote:
They really need to go all the way through the Frieza Saga. In the episodes directly after the switch the dub is really horrible.

I actually wouldn't be against that at all. For a lot of the actors that FUNi hired this was their first time doing voice work (or acting of any kind I'm sure for some). It wasn't until about after the Frieza Saga that the VAs started to relax into their roles letting things happen a bit more naturaly. I'm sure even FUNi would admit that that talent greatly improved between their first and most recent dubs, though I don't think they have any plans of doing those episodes over now. Would be nice to have some consistancy though.

I doubt they'll be starting from the new dub when it comes back to Toonami, I'm not even sure they've started work on that where Dragonball just finished and I'm sure they're still working on the DBGT dub.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:48 am Reply with quote
If they do plan to do re-dubs they might as well get new scripts Wink . By the way, according to this article:
animenewsnetwork.com/pressrelease.php?id=176 Toonami will show the remaining episodes of YYH's Dark Tournament after all. We'll just have to wait for a few more months.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
If they do plan to do re-dubs they might as well get new scripts Wink .

I'd think that would be a given since they'll be doing each episode unspliced. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
space clam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:06 pm Reply with quote
GoldenBeck0! wrote:

No! Do not speak of the Sagas! We don't want mindless DBZ Zombie fans arguing about the Saga that CN should show first! They can sense the word "Saga" from lightyears away...

Saga= 1 (maybe 2) fight(s) stretched out to cover the most episode space as possible. Were it not for epileptic fight scenes, I suspect even little kids would notice the "plot" advances at the speed of a glacier.

As for YYH, I wonder if it will be a daily thing or perhaps a weekly format. They're up to DVD 21 now (about), leaving off around 16 or 17. If it were me calling the shots, I'd say run YYH twice through, then show new episodes daily. If not, then show new eps once a week. (like DBGT) I think the best thing to do is to always have the DVD outpace the show, helping to increase sales. Maybe if they show only half of the new episodes they have, then wait a little, then show a few more, so on so forth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Lady Sango

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:38 pm Reply with quote
No suprise that Yu Yu Hakusho is going to begin at the first episode.
space clam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Looks like DBZ started out at the beginning of the Buu Saga. (right when Buu gets released from the whatever) Unfortunate. I was hoping for a Android/Cell Saga run. (The only mildly interesting sagas if you ask me)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2