• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shakugan no Shana

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:46 am Reply with quote
I finished the first novel "The Girl with the Fire in Her Eyes" a few weeks ago and I really liked it. It allowed me to peer into the psyche of the characters, something that you couldn't do with the anime nearly as well. Plus, having seen the anime, I could hear the English dub voices in my head, which made it quite a fun read. I felt that the translation was good, they even got Wilhelmina's name right, which is something Geneon didn't get right with the English dub of the anime. I didn't particularly like the relatively short length, but then again there isn't anything I can do about that. It is a "light novel" after all.

Viz did indeed edit a bit in terms of the art, but I don't really care about that too much, as it's not a manga anyway. I was in it for the story, the art was just an extra thing. Of course, it's never cool when something is censored, but I still wouldn't boycott the novel just because of that. You'll miss out on a great book otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jack781217

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...finally licensed in English?

Anyway...a word of advice

If you think Yuuji is just too pussy to be a guy, the novel would surely make you think otherwise. (At least that's what happened to me @@")

- You get to know more about the world and setting of the story. The anime does not do a good job on explaining Guze, Torch, Mystes, Jizaihou, and so on.
- You get to say all those cool titles of Guze no Ou and Flame Haze, like Tenjou no Gouka and Juurin no Souga, over and over again.
- You get to see how Yuuji experiences growth, as mentioned before.
- You get to watch the internal conflict of Shana and Kazumi closely (and repeatly...).
- You get to read story that is not in the anime, since they always have some variation when adapting stuff into anime.
F.A.I.T.H

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:43 am Reply with quote
They certainly don't disappoint, even though I skipped plenty of volumes (till 5 and 8, currently reading the latter). The chinese translations gave me the impression that there were lots of minor details being filled in on, and volume 8 did give a little tidbit of a spoiler about what might happen in the future (that is, regarding Shakugan no Shana Second).

Pretty good stories I've read so far, and most certainly would be following them through on all volumes soon enough.
population_tire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quote
where can i see the unedited artwork?
Ioriya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
where can i see the unedited artwork?

unedited artwork?

go buy the artbooks and support the artist
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I do enjoy the growth of the interactions in the novels. They did a good job with that when compared to the Anime. You also get a bit more insight as to why Shana wants Yuji to become stronger.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I just bought the first novel and hope to start reading it soon. The anime, which I haven't seen yet, was adapted from the novels, so I'm going for the original source first. It's good to hear that Viz kept the same good quality as with its other novels (like Fullmetal Alchemist and Rurouni Kenshin). Even the color pages are nice, enhancing Noizi Ito's beautiful art. I can't wait to pick it up when I get the time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ginrai1984

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quote
i heard about the first novel,yet apperently the 2 nd novel didn't have any edits,which is good to hear since i still have intrest in the series.
yet i always wondered with how the entire adaption from japanese to english had suffered from westernized influence and hence some of the original japanese story-ellements have gone lost through it.

so could anyone answer it for me?
although it won't influence me buying novels(gonna try order 'em tommorow) but it would be nice to be aware of it in advance since it might have a lesser effect off annoyance.
Shigi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:31 pm Reply with quote
(reposting my impressions from the AOD thread)
I just finished reading Shakugan no Shana: Fight Day! First, adaptation impressions: There are maybe 3 typos (I can't remember where one of them is now so I'll edit this post later so any Viz people dropping by can more easily edit the 2nd printing). Some of Yuji's dialogue was also sort of clunky (as in I had to suspend belief that this was a high school boy talking at times . . . it was sort of like the way they spoke in Dawson's Creek) and I think Viz just switched Shana from being the girl with blazing eyes in the first volume to one with burning ones in this one? Also, the Unrestricted Method bizarrely became the Unrestricted System at one point (I'm not sure if this is a mistake or not). I'm also not sure I like their usage of "kill" (as in: feel the kill). I imagine the original meant something akin to "killing intent" which would, in fact, sound a whole lot less awkward. Over all, I was pretty satisfied with the translation. Marcosias is AWESOME (and apparently watches Pokemon - no, I'm serious) and it's a quick read.

Okay, story-wise, this volume takes place only 10 days after the first one, so it's really picking up the story right after. You get into Yuji's head a lot more than you do in the anime, which is interesting, though at the same time it dilutes the drama of the love triangle. Shana is cuter here than in the anime episodes covering this arc, since you get inside her head a bit more as well and can better relate to her situation. Margery and Marcosias make their first appearance and Marcosias was completely and totally awesome the entire time.

As for the overall series' plot, not too much seemed to happen aside from introducing some major characters and some nice battles that don't alter the status quo much, but this is all very important set-up. Relationship-wise, some real progress was made and Yuji has some character growth (Yay!) and does less screaming (Double yay!). In the end, it was a fun read and I think it was a bit more enjoyable than the first volume despite the lack of a real villain. (This is good - I want every book in a series to be more enjoyable than the previous one.) Bring on the next one, Viz!

Hmm, as for westernization: Viz has at least retained honorifics to some extent because Yuji's mother refers to him as "Yu-chan" twice, I think, in volume 2 (I was pretty happy with that). On the other hand, she refers to Shana as "Shana dear" and per Viz's normal operating procedure all the kids refer to each other by their first names (so no "Sakai-kun" from Kazumi Yoshida). The terms get translated, so we get "Crimson Denizens," "Seal," etc. But the Nietono no Shana retains its name and "Mistes" and "Torch" are intact. I actually haven't had much of an issue with the names so far since most of the dialogue has been between Yuji and Shana who don't use honorifics and call each other by their first names anyway. Oh, and that Pokemon reference used the American name of the character (I was serious about that). Marcosias makes TWO Pokemon references . . . it's hilarious. On the other hand, there's a mention of "karinto" in volume two and while it's mentioned that it's a sweet snack they don't bother to describe it any more than that (I'm really glad they didn't change it into donuts or something).

I haven't/can't read the original in Japanese so that's about all I can report on. As far as I can tell, Viz is doing a pretty good job.
Ginrai1984

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote
thanks shigi for giving a really expanded an intresting answers to my question!

as i said i went to the bookstore and the store is trying to order 'em so i hope they will arive in 1 or 2 weeks.at the worst i would have to order them with my archonia order but i will doubt it will have to come to that.
animalia555

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know when novel III is coming out in English?
cloud1989

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I would also like to know, at this rate I'll be dead before viz finishes them, I hope they can pick up the pace.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
animalia555 wrote:
Anyone know when novel III is coming out in English?

Probably never. It's been at least six months since the second novel came out and there hasn't been anything for volume 3. It looks like this is something else Viz has canceled and is hoping to just shove under the rug.
cloud1989

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I did some research, apparently novel 1 came April 07, novel 2 can in oct 07, the time between releases is 6 months, and the 6th month from oct happens to be April, which was when the first came out, so if viz keeps their scedual it should be released this month, though I have heard nothing, and even if they do 2 novels a year is to long for something 18 volumes already. on a side note has this been fan translated, I am not asking for any links but just a conformation if it has or not, just in case viz fails yet again.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quote
The bad: Thus far no news of the third LN being released.

The good: The third GN is going to be released in June which can be found on VIZ Media's site.

I preferred the LN's over the GN's even though I own all the releases of both, and will continue to do so as they are released.

There are a surprising number of fans for this series, and given some of the incomplete details I've gotten about novel 16, it seems the pace is picking up again. Be a shame to let these stories go to waste and not be ready by the many Shana fans state side and abroad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2