• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Cooking Master Boy (Chukan Ichiban!)

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quote
You made me hungry. Now I want Chinese food really bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
Wow! So it's basically the Chinese cuisine version of Yakitate!! Japan? If Yakitate taught me anything, it's to not underestimate the write-ability of food into a shounen series. I really need to give this one a viewing once my newer computer is fixed. Thanks!
frodonk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
the first buried treasure that i had actually seen before reading about it here yay!

the only complaint that i had with the series was with the ending, spoiler[it ended with a cliffhanger and was never finished, which was sad.](just in case)
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:45 am Reply with quote
I find the timing of this coming right after the latest Anime News Nina comic very amusing. However, I am far from any sort of gourmand, and have a generally bland diet. Not one of my favorite buried treasure segments, but certainly amusing.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:09 am Reply with quote
Oh my god, I love this show. It was introduced to me by my husband, who first watched the Mandarin dub in China. He knew that Stephen Chow's God of Cookery was one of my favorite films ever, and was like "If you liked THAT, wait till you see THIS." And it was awesome. It started to feel a little repetitive toward the end--I mean, how many different ways are there to go about a cooking competition?--but the whole thing was so much fun. I think we marathoned the entire series in under two weeks (pretty impressive, considering I work full time and he's a busy busy grad student).

Chinese cooking = the most delicious food in the world.

P.S. Long before I knew this show existed, I had Kimi Sae Ireba, the third opening song, on one of my silly old "anime mix" CDs I made in high school, back in the napster/audiogalaxy days. Ah, memories.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:19 am Reply with quote
there's a live action version?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:47 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Wow! So it's basically the Chinese cuisine version of Yakitate!! Japan? If Yakitate taught me anything, it's to not underestimate the write-ability of food into a shounen series.

Don't forget his (?) newest title, Tenshi no Frypan, as well as Shota no Sushi and Kuitan by Daisuke Terasawa.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:31 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Kuitan by Daisuke Terasawa.

Ah yes, wasn't there a drama series of this a couple years back?

There are LOADS of really good cooking manga, and a few magazines devoted to it. It's truly disappointing how few of these have been adapted.

BTW, thanks to Zac for getting me hooked on Anthony Bourdain and inspiring this week's column.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:18 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Don't forget his (?) newest title, Tenshi no Frypan

Is that Japanese cuisine in the background? It's kind of hard to tell. Being a pig (Chinese zodiac-wise), I'm always welcome to the idea of fine foods Mr. Green. I've just never had the desire to really learn about it in an overall sense, aside from cooking it. I can sort of make Lo Mein noodles, egg rolls, sweet and sour pork/chicken, and this Lao sautéed chicken and rice dish (tip to all guys, ladies appreciate a man who can cook, especially if they like Asian food... we'll see if it works.. eventually Sad).
recca25

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:19 am Reply with quote
Justin, you are truly amazing for having found and raised this wonderful and imo VERY HIDDEN treasure! (I think it 'very hidden' because I never would have thought of being reminded of this anime again.) I watched this series back when I was in the Philippines; it aired in japanese with english sub. I enjoyed it a lot, but I didn't talk to my friends about it because I didn't want to have to explain how a show about cooking can be very entertaining. I wondered why this series stopped airing even though it didn't seemed finished yet; thanks to your column, now I know.
exedore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:11 am Reply with quote
FWIW, there is also a legal R3 DVD release as well, which can be had from JSDVD for about $25 plus shipping for all 52 episodes. It appears to have the Japanese audio track and one of the Chinese dubs. Legit R3 is a wonderful thing.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:38 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Ah yes, wasn't there a drama series of this a couple years back?

There are LOADS of really good cooking manga, and a few magazines devoted to it. It's truly disappointing how few of these have been adapted.

You mean, like, licensed in NA? There are many, many live-action dorama adapted from cooking-themed manga, and while there are tons of cooking shows and cuisine reports in the West, I didn't see any cooking competition on TV. Many Japanese chefs treat cooking as fighting a war, and general Japanese population are quite well adapted to competing chefs, an ideal theme on shōnen manga. The cruel lifestyle of Japanese cooking interns might not suit Western readers/watchers easily as well.

Tony K. wrote:
Is that Japanese cuisine in the background? It's kind of hard to tell.

As far as I know the story is more focused on Western cuisine.

exedore wrote:
Legit R3 is a wonderful thing.

Aye, but not everyone can read Chinese subtitles and/or listen to Japanese audio without translation. Mr. Green Plus many people still cannot tell bootlegs from legit R3. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
leongsh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote
Chukan Ichiban! (Cooking Master Boy) is one of my guilty pleasures. Whenever it came on over at AXN a few years ago (when they still had a 2-hour daily anime section before Animax Asia was launched), I find myself drawn towards the show. The article has pointed out the endearing aspects of Mao, the lead character, that he is mature, does not whine nor pout, and has the heart of a true cook.

I miss the show. Now I'm sorely tempted to get the R3 DVDs.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:07 am Reply with quote
This series was recommended to me several years ago and something else always jumped in front of it. It was recommended by a friend while we were both searching for subs of Mr. Ajikko (another Shounen food competition series). I think I'm going to have to sit down and take a look at this.

jsevakis wrote:
BTW, thanks to Zac for getting me hooked on Anthony Bourdain and inspiring this week's column.

I felt like I could see some of his style in parts of your piece, which is great, because I love Bourdain's presentation style and the topics he presents.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Apparently the new, less-pretentious word for "gourmand" is "foodie,"

Not that the majority of the population that has never learned French (or had to use a style manual for editing restaurant reviews) would ever care, but gourmand means "glutton". The English synonym for gourmet is "epicure", for which "foodie" is a less-pretentious alternative.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3