• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Iris Print Discusses State of Its Boys-Love Titles

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:51 am Reply with quote
Please..burn this plague.. Im so glad Yaoi is losing support
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:27 am Reply with quote
Whatever keeps the yaoi-fangirls from multiplying.....I'm all for it. Although.....the lack of said material might make the already-born yaoi-fangirls more unstable then they are....and they might atart attacking innocent bishounens
AOKO1412

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quote
Queer Magic i didn't hear about it

i think BL comics not so wanted in America Confused

but many people still like stuffs like that ( like me ) Smile

i prefer to read Japanese manga than reading a comic , and the most people are the same ,

shounen-ai manga !! yay Very Happy
geishageek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
This is mainly directed at ichido reichan but I just had to say my piece in this thread because I am always so irrittated when any BL news is written and people always complain about the fangirls or just that they hate it and cannot back that up with anything intelligent to say. Just because you do not like BL, you do not have to go out of your way to make snide comments about it. Yes, I admit that there are a lot of over reactive fan girls out there when it comes to this genre but there are also a lot of fans who tend to be more mature about the whole thing. If you do not like it, don't read it. It is as simple as that. But do not put down something just because you don't like it. I wouldn't even get upset if people actually gave reasons for their hating and bashing but when push comes to shove, it always comes down to them not having anything to back up said argument. So next time you want to put down something, be a bit more mature about it and maybe someone might actually take you serious for once.
AY War Horse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
Im so glad Yaoi is losing support

Having read the article I don't think it is possible to determine whether Yaoi is losing support or not. All that can be said is that the BL Twist magazine clearly has, but there is no mention in the article the specific reasons for this. In regards to determining how much support the publisher Iris Print has lost one would have to wait and see if the two book titles mentioned end up being published or not, but that factor could still not be used as an indicator as to whether Yaoi is losing support or not. I agree with what Aoko1412 has said, i.e that there are still people who like the genre. Agreed the BL Twist magazine is being cancelled but there are other avenues that people who like this genre of manga can go down, for instance there are Yaoi books for sale and i don't believe that they will go out of print anytime soon. The only way one could determine that Yaoi is losing support would be to look at every source of it and see how the sales have been over the last years and then not only compare it with recent sales but look over the next few months to see what else occurs.

In regards to the cancelling of the BL Twist magazine i must say that i have no opinon, i have never read the magazine and so i cannot cast judgement upon it's actual demise. However considering that what is being referred to in the article is a one-person operation I do feel saddened that this person's vision and hardwork is coming to an end.

[edited to alter spelling/grammatical errors]

Last edited by AY War Horse on Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:21 pm; edited 6 times in total
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Boy's Love is definitely as popular as ever in the US - the BL imprints are always announcing new titles.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
Please..burn this plague.. Im so glad Yaoi is losing support

The problem is enthusiasm & the popularity of the genre.
You don't see DMP announcing they are out of money. Don't see Blu going away.

Problem is, there are several small yaoi publishers, more like indie comics in the US. These publishers are working with less funding than the big guys

To make a comparison you MAYBE can wrap your little head around, Raijin comics. DR Master, Ice Kunion. Tried following Now!? I think theres been 3 publishers, or is it 4? Dark Edge? Pagans?

This is the same league Iris is in. I wish them well, but it is hard for most businesses in their first year & we have a recession looming.
Terrestrial_Cel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Things to remember:
Boys Love is popular.
Iris Print is just the exception to that rule.

To those of you here thankful that this is happening to this one-person company, I recommend you cautious on how you word things. You probably don't know the full reason why she lost money and steam.

That having been said, one of the goals of the company was to introduce new manga that defied the yaoi cliche that many non-fans and even fans dislike about the genre. I will give my support if I can.
For-Chan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Apparently, the first two posters did not bother to read more than the title of the article before commenting. This is not about BL dying, it's about one person, who runs a company that is in dire straits. It's hardly something to celebrate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
AY War Horse wrote:
but that factor could still not be used as an indicator as to whether Yaoi is loosing support or not.
The only way one could determine that Yaoi is loosing support

Please... please! Denizens of the intarwebz, learn how to correctly use "losing" and "loosing". Please. It's painful to see this mistake everywhere, especially in an otherwise completely grammatically correct post.

CCSYueh wrote:
To make a comparison you MAYBE can wrap your little head around, Raijin comics. DR Master, Ice Kunion. Tried following Now!? I think theres been 3 publishers, or is it 4? Dark Edge? Pagans?

Hm, I actually follow several of the series you mentioned and just wanted to point out, it was ComicsOne as the original publisher of a lot of these titles and they did go under. However, Infinity Studios currently has the license to "Now!" and are only the second company to have it, to my knowledge. And they're doing just fine, aside from a printing company shift that has delayed most of their projects. And I can only assume that Dr. Master is also doing quite well as I've heard nothing about them having troubles and I have a growing collection of titles they are releasing.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
For-Chan wrote:
Apparently, the first two posters did not bother to read more than the title of the article before commenting. This is not about BL dying, it's about one person, who runs a company that is in dire straits. It's hardly something to celebrate.

No....I read it all. An understood it all.
minakichan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote
You know, I also strongly dislike yaoi (but keep me out of the flamewarz tho, please), but this is freakishly crazy impressive. A SINGLE person editing and selling Japanese manga? Like legal scanlations? Whoaz. Of course it'd probably never work, but still. Crazysauce.

Unless I misunderstood this, and this is actually OEL yaoi. In that case, geh, seriously, is this person insane?
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
There's nothing more thrilling than watching a bunch of keyboard warriors trash a woman's passion and drive.

Bravo. Confused
DazzleNeko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
There's nothing more thrilling than watching a bunch of keyboard warriors trash a woman's passion and drive.

Bravo. Confused

Of course. Since it's not about boobies or lesbians, the guys will hate it. Pretty much anything in the anime fandom that appeals to women's sexuality is flamed by people.

Obnoxious yaoi haters make me cringe. I give up arguing with them. They have no sense of rationality and aren't aware of their own double-standards and narrow-mindedness.
Karala

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:07 am Reply with quote
I can understand people not liking yaoi, but to be so incredibly immature in saying yaoi isn't popular anymore just because some unknown publisher is struggling? Rolling Eyes Even if I disliked something, I wouldn't come in a thread and fame it and the people that like it, it's so disrespectful.

Oh and Aarinfantsy (the main forum for yaoi) broke its highest user count just recently this month -- 649 people were online at the same time. Oh yes, I can see no one at all is interested in yaoi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2