• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gunbuster VS Diebuster Aim for the Top! The Gattai Movie Sub.DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nkaze

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:29 am Reply with quote
Eighty bucks for a hacked up movie? Yes...great value...
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
nkaze wrote:
Eighty bucks for a hacked up movie? Yes...great value...

$60 at retail actually, but still, I agree, too expensive. If it was $20 or so cheaper I'd be willing to buy it, even though it would still be expensive.

-t
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Bandai is actually selling enough copies to break even :S
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:35 pm Reply with quote
wilson_x1999 wrote:

I have to wonder that, too. I would think this one might sell at least double its volume (if not more) at $40 MSRP.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
no offense, but i don't think price should be an argument for quality. i mean i admit i didn't like it that much either and it's better to just watch the oav's for this price... but shouldn't the dvd be judged on it's own merits?

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Excuse me while I go bang my head on a table.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't want to shout but:

WHERE ARE THE BOXSETS OF THE INDIVIDUAL OAVS, Bandai?!?!?
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quote
wilson_x1999 wrote:

I just came to the realization that BVUSA is selling products at around the hentai price per minute range. They are definitely selling more copies of their titles than hentai that also usually is under an hour which is also a viable price point for the companies. They have been doing this long enough to have changed their strategy if they weren't making any money.

It doesn't make me happy that there are about as many people who own Gunbuster as Bible Black and I think BVUSA is doing Gunbuster a big disservice. On the other hand I bought both Gunbuster series from them and probably will also get the movies.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Is this combination movie MSRP $60 or $80? Tempest just said it was $60 but his own link states that MSRP is $80.

That's pricey but I'm not sure it is as bad as everyone is saying. Think about it, you get over 180+ minutes, or approximately 7 total episodes of content on 2 dual-layer DVDs (it won't come close to fitting on 1 dual-layer DVD at the high bitrate quality that they use).

This is significantly cheaper than BVUSA's old typical pricing. The Gunbuster 2 OAVs retailed for $40 each for 2 episodes.

The thing is though that this product is like asking fans to buy a SECOND duplicate copy of Gunbuster/Gunbuster 2, just for the extras. So the price ought to be lower still. So I agree, it is overpriced, but not by that much.

Randall, yeah I guess BVUSA's pricing scheme is similar to the pricing scheme for many hentais. However I disagree that BVUSA is selling more copies than hentai. From what I see in my state, looking at how fast product moves, hentai is selling about 10x more (per title) than BVUSA titles.

BVUSA titles basically don't move here. A total of about 10 copies were sold in my state for the first volume of Gunbuster 2, and less than that for future volumes. I can't be 100% certain of that but this is based upon me having an interest in the title as it came out, and going to all the stores to see where was the cheapest, and counting how many copies they have, and how many disappeared, etc, and estimating how many sold. For the most part, all BVUSA titles appear stagnant to me. After the first week, the stores all re-stocked to 3 copies each and they never moved again.

But hentai, well over here it's everywhere. There are even multiple stores that mainly sell anime hentai DVDs and hardly any regular anime DVDs (this makes me sad, but it's funny). Besides that, I have a strong suspicion that hentai sells very well online, especially as reverse-imports back to Japan due to censorship issues. I know of some websites that likewise pretty much only sell domestic anime hentai DVDs and few legal non-hentai domestic products. Sites like that wouldn't exist if online anime hentai selling weren't extremely lucrative.

Ramblin Wreck, I have also heard that Best Buy has taken it upon themselves to compile the Gunbuster 2 OAV's into a 3-DVD brickpack, and are selling it at a hugely discounted price. I haven't gone myself to verify this, though, so it could be misinformation. I checked the website but their Gunbuster 2 listings were taken offline (maybe supporting this claim).
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:01 am Reply with quote
I have a question:

For someone who owns(or in my case, plans to own) both separate releases, is the extra footage produced for the Diebuster section worth buying the the movie set?
angel_lover

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:14 am Reply with quote
I've got the first OVA series, and was thinking of getting the second but was put off by the high price. This new release costs a lot less than the separate DVDs - OK, it's a cut-down version but at least I get to see some of it rather than none. The 5.1 remix would be a plus too, so I might well go for it.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
I have a question:

For someone who owns(or in my case, plans to own) both separate releases, is the extra footage produced for the Diebuster section worth buying the the movie set?

On its own? No. We're only really talking about 3-4 minutes of entirely new animation, if that. It may seem like more when you're watching it because a couple of scenes have been moved around and/or given entirely new dialog and visuals; for instance, the scene where spoiler[Nicola is in his Buster Machine talking to the Serpentine Twins] has very different dialog between the movie and series, and a late-series scene where spoiler[the elders on the Moon are talking after Lal'c departs] not only has entirely different dialog but replaces the shot of spoiler[the Luxion having been discovered] with more ordinary backgrounds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1