• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suna_suna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
sorry, i should have been clearer Embarassed

but it's not just you. the charcter designs go through some pretty big changes. Kyo's face is notably different to me.
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quote
Well, another week has passed and so we introduce a new couple to discuss. This week will be Shigure and Mayu.

Shigure spoiler[fully admits he started dating Mayu because he was bored. However, since his relationship with Akito has been revealed I think some of his motivation was to hurt God in some way.]

On Mayu's part, spoiler[I'm not sure why she ever agreed to date Shigure. If she ever mentioned a reason, I can't remember. I don't know if you would call it blackmail, but Shigure certainly used the fact she was in love with Hatori to the best of his ability. Doing something -- anything -- to get her mind off her love for Hatori might have been another reason.]

Well, I apologize for another short introduction. And I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

-Murph
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quote
Well, I think that Mayu went out with Shigure because Kana was her best friend and Kana wanted the company and support of someone. Remember, Hatori isn't exactly Mr. Warm and Welcoming. So, it's probably logical Kana wanted a little help/support.

I think that Mayu and Shigure are friends. The sort that bicker with each other all of the time. Even a bit like brother and sister.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote
it has been stated that Mayuspoiler[went out with Shigure because she was lonely. but she did soon realize that there was no love between them. they did not share the happiness that Kana and Hatori shared. ]

now, even when Shigure is pursuing his own objectives,spoiler[he stops to help both Hatori and Mayu become happy once again. he is meddling but it works. Shigure acts the same way towards Mayu as he does with Ritsu and Mitsuru, he teases them mercilessly.]

my favorite line in volume 12 is from Shigure when Mayu sees that he is Tohru's accompanying guardian.

"That's it. Give it to me Mayu-chan. Nice, disgusted face."
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:55 am Reply with quote
*laugh* He does the fist-pump thing my guy-friends do. It's funny how disgusting yet endearing Shigure is.

I think Suna-Suna hit the nail on the head here. Since Akito is never written in as having a particularly violent reaction to Shigure dating Mayu, I don't think that's the main drive for Shigure here. It's clearly to push Mayu and Hatori closer together, in a roundabout kind of way. From what we can tell of their interaction in the manga, it works!

I always thought I was a lot like Mayu, moreso than many other characters in the manga. Except for the emotional outbursts. I'm a little more collected. But I'm not quite as brash and rebellious as Arisa.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

I think Suna-Suna hit the nail on the head here. Since Akito is never written in as having a particularly violent reaction to Shigure dating Mayu, I don't think that's the main drive for Shigure here. It's clearly to push Mayu and Hatori closer together, in a roundabout kind of way. From what we can tell of their interaction in the manga, it works!

This makes me wonder if Shigure felt/realized from the beginning that perhaps Mayu was better for Hatori than Kana was.

I don't that that Mayu would have spoiler[broken down like Kana did when Akito hurt Hatori. I think that Mayu would have given Akito a good punch in the face a few dozen times - well, Arisa would do that but I think Mayu would have landed at least one.]
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
my favorite line in volume 12 is from Shigure when Mayu sees that he is Tohru's accompanying guardian.

"That's it. Give it to me Mayu-chan. Nice, disgusted face."
That is one of the best lines ever.

I agree strongly with LydiaDianne's view of Shigure and Mayu. They're friends but not really "friendly." Shigure really does want to see her and Hatori connect, why else would he pull that little stunt at spoiler[the book store with all his "oh, yes, Hatori has a girl friend now" lies? (And oh what a fun scene it was when Mayu finally let out some of those emotions she's been holding inside. She really got Hatori's attention. All thanks to Shigure, not that she'd ever want to accept that.)]

I definitely think she would have handled what happened with spoiler[Akito better than Kana. Kana's problem was that unlike Mayu, she internalizes responsibility. Where Mayu would have blammed Akito for her own actions, Kana blamed herself for failing to protect Hatori when logically she couldn't have.]

In an odd way, I think Shigure was attracted to her though. She's got a few personality traits in common with spoiler[Akito.]

Strangely, I feel like Shigure, despite being a tad dark and ruthless, is very much the "big brother" of the group. He does quite a bit to try and help everyone, although he does it in his own special way. Mayu's just another "victim" of his help. Laughing
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Strangely, I feel like Shigure, despite being a tad dark and ruthless, is very much the "big brother" of the group. He does quite a bit to try and help everyone, although he does it in his own special way. Mayu's just another "victim" of his help. Laughing

What Shigure is doing is very, very hard on everyone...but most of all himself. While I, like Hatori, don't quite agree with his methods...it has to be done. And, perhaps this is the ONLY way it can be done.

Shigure may, in actuality, have the biggest heart...which has suffered, and taken in, the biggest hurt.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Hello everyone, I'm back after a month hiatus from the site. I also have to announce that I have had probably my largest streak ever broken within the last few weeks. I had at least one post on every page from pages 1 to 99 in this thread.

Shigure is one of the most complex and hidden characters you can find in this series. You can tell he has motives for what he does, but there's no telling of what those motives are until the events and the consequences have happened. I think though that spoiler[he was probably looking for somebody to be with at the time when he was dating Kana, but she obviously broke it off.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Welcome back, fighter.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Wink
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Mister Holic. Welcome back. We missed you. and you should update the second post.

despite the help that Shigure gives to others, i still feel that if it didn;t help his cause, then he wouldn't do it.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Excuse me I have one question to all Fruits Basket's fans.....

Well since I finished watching the anime I was wondering did the author made a character for the Horse and Rooster, in the manga version? I was waiting to see the Horse and it didn't happen because I'm year of the horse....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
chichiriNoDa wrote:
Excuse me I have one question to all Fruits Basket's fans.....

Well since I finished watching the anime I was wondering did the author made a character for the Horse and Rooster, in the manga version? I was waiting to see the Horse and it didn't happen because I'm year of the horse....

I think that I may have answered this for you in the anime FB thread, but yes, the Horse does appear as does the Rooster. Both of them have very critical story lines to the manga.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Thanks LydiaDianne one more thing..... what's the gender of the Horse and Rooster?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 102 of 170