• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Rumble Pak

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mmsven

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:13 am Reply with quote
God, some of these guys collections make me feel small.

Anyway, thanks for the info on the viridian boxes. I was going to buy Gunslinger Girl VC, but I will just pay the extra $10 and get a quality box.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:14 am Reply with quote
@Bamboo: you might want to fix Rental Shelf links from animenewsnetwork.com/shelf-life/school [ramen, tenchi] to animenewsnetwork.com/shelf-life/2008-01-21#school [ramen, tenchi].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:04 am Reply with quote
So do the VC singles/boxsets differ from the orginal in any way besides price? I didn't get a jump on Brust Angel via TRSI sale, but the singles will be cheap in FYE's sale.

I couldn't find the pic. *sigh*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:11 am Reply with quote
found the pic....

it's quite tricky thinking it's something else...

still can't see what the dude looks like...

also he may want to rotate the shelf...one of the shelf is sagging quite badly and it should be turned upside-down so the weight of the books push down the bulge....and keep doing that whenever the shelf looks like it's sagging again....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:41 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
So do the VC singles/boxsets differ from the orginal in any way besides price? I didn't get a jump on Brust Angel via TRSI sale, but the singles will be cheap in FYE's sale.

The discs are the same. The only difference is that the Viridians (Ha, get it? Viridian = green) are eco-friendly. Rather than coming in a clam-shell, the discs come in packages made entirely out of something that more closely resembles card stock. I bet there's a word for it, but I have no idea what it is.

The boxsets are kind of like books that have a pocket for each disc.

Honestly, I think it's nice that Funimation's trying to make eco-friendly packages. My gripe with the GG box wasn't the construction of the box-- that's lovely, but just the poor print quality on the back cover and the drab front cover.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:42 am Reply with quote
This is sad since the original Gunslinger Girl packaging had very nice reversible artwork. As long as they keep the quality of the individual volumes up this might work since it is much cheaper and might be worth it for the casual fan. Currently only Mushishi and Witchblade are getting the booklet and slipcase treatment that I so admire although the School Rumble Magnets and Beck picks are fun.

Pockets for discs, this sounds horrible. I assumed that they would come in the cheap manner like the Slayers Funimation sets which is the same style as the new GTO and Initial D sets. As mentioned in Zak's recent interview there really seems to be two types of fans those who are willing to spend $30 for a DVD with premiums and those casual fans who are comparing the anime DVD market with the live action DVD market. It is silly to release complete box sets for $200 like Geneon did since you are not really hitting a new target market. I don't mind if Funimation can deliver a less expensive product (box sets or individual discs) that is cutting corners as long as I can get my copies with their nice little booklets. I actually miss the Funimation/Gonzo digipack editions that came out around a year ago.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:23 am Reply with quote
As always, I enjoyed your column. Gunslinger Girls is one of those series that (to me) sounded like something that should be a trailer in Grindhouse. Then I started to watch it. . . I have a one year old and still managed to finish the entire series in less than two days. That's saying a lot. It really gripped me tight. I'm interested in checking out the manga next.

I never would have known Ramen Fighter Miki existed if it hadn't been for all of the ANN reviews. Thank you for reviewing the final volume in your column. It's such a goofy gem and I'm glad that you're helping other people know about it.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
You can get the Gunslinger Girl box set for the ridiculous price of $22 at Amazon. (I really should get something for all the free advertising I give them and Buy.com Smile )
nooneofconsequence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:

I never would have known Ramen Fighter Miki existed if it hadn't been for all of the ANN reviews. Thank you for reviewing the final volume in your column...

There's actually three volumes for Miki... volume 2 was the one that just got reviewed.

Do agree that it is a fun, goofy series.
Serge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:49 am Reply with quote
nooneofconsequence wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:

I never would have known Ramen Fighter Miki existed if it hadn't been for all of the ANN reviews. Thank you for reviewing the final volume in your column...

There's actually three volumes for Miki... volume 2 was the one that just got reviewed.

Do agree that it is a fun, goofy series.

The Third Volume is sooo much better than the second or first, without saying too much, i'm sure that if it's on next week's Shelf Life, it will be Shelf Worthy.

There's a little secret I found out if any of you have Ramen Fighter Miki DVD 2, go into the Extras, go to TV Spots and press right on your DVD Remote Control and then Enter. You'll find a 25 minute or so Hidden Extra Feature.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote
nooneofconsequence wrote
Quote:

Thank you for letting me know that there are three volumes. I actually just finished watching the third this weekend. Anime smileI agree with Bamboo that the series can get repetitive, but I wish there was more. . .

Serge wrote:
Quote:
There's a little secret I found out if any of you have Ramen Fighter Miki DVD 2, go into the Extras, go to TV Spots and press right on your DVD Remote Control and then Enter. You'll find a 25 minute or so Hidden Extra Feature.

Oooooooo, what is the Hidden Extra Feature of?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Some of these collections make me sooooo jealous. I mean, some of them have OUT OF PRINT SAILOR MOON DVDS AND MANGA! Evil or Very Mad
Serge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
nooneofconsequence wrote
Quote:

Thank you for letting me know that there are three volumes. I actually just finished watching the third this weekend. Anime smileI agree with Bamboo that the series can get repetitive, but I wish there was more. . .

Serge wrote:
Quote:

Oooooooo, what is the Hidden Extra Feature of?

Voice Actor, Fight!
Karasuhebi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Is the picture of the guy on that first "Shelf Obsessed" the picture inside that CD jewel case on picture 5?

-Karasuhebi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I want to get Tenchi Muyo GXP because it's one of the four things I don't have in the Tenchi franchise (the other three being Pretty Sammy TV, the Pretty Sammy / Mihoshi Special, and Ryo-ohki OVA 3), but that Viridian packaging is just too crappy to be worth collecting. I'd rather spend $20 and get the nice older boxed set, which is 4 standard-size dual-disc cases like the eminently satisfactory Kiddy Grade set.

I'm sure MB will put out a $29.99 MSRP collection for Ramen Fighter Miki ($17 at TRSI MB sale) with a "better-than-nothing" artbox, so I'll hold out for that. That show looks interesting enough as a random, offbeat series, but it completely flew under my radar even at the fansub level. The first time I ever heard about it was when John Sirabella posted at AoD about how they were going to release cheap, low-profile series like RFM, Kashimashi, and Girls' High, rather than expensive licenses like AMG TV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3