• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Complex and Lovely

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
Since you mentioned world manga, that means we can submit a review on a series from other country (i.e. not Japan) that's not licensed in the US, right?
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
Ooh, Reader's Choice, sounds interesting. We'll get to see reviews of things we normally wouldn't (and hopefully it's not all "D-Grayman is awesome, and here's the REAL review on it!"). Are you going to limit it to volumes that haven't yet been reviewed in RTO though? I think the column could remain fresh and informative that way.
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:51 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
(and hopefully it's not all "D-Grayman is awesome, and here's the REAL review on it!")..

Awww....

But seriously now, I like this Reader's Choice Idea. I personally wish RTO was bigger myself; there's just far too much manga coming out every week to get to review it all on ANN. Particularly when it comes to new series, which there have been an awful lot of.
Of course, bashing bad series is SO much fun. Unfortunately, the absolutely awful manga I've read are ones that have already been bashed by RTO. (RTO is where I found out about them. When I read about a series that sounds that hilariously bad, I have to check it out for myself)
I wonder if it'll turn into the 'I can review a more obscure title than you!' game; that'd actually be quite fun. I look forward to it.

...also, am I the only one that finds the cover of Sundome really disturbing? Just what is she doing...?
...do I want to know?
Karasuhebi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quote
Aww...no more WORST MANGA EVER!!!! section? I loved those... Sad

-Karasuhebi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote
I guess we get to write our own instead...?
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quote
Karasuhebi wrote:
Aww...no more WORST MANGA EVER!!!! section? I loved those... Sad

...wait, Reader's Choice is REPLACING that? Oh no! What will RTO be without the beautifully snide remarks on really mediocre manga? Anime cry darn...
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:41 am Reply with quote
Ah, questions! Don't worry, I have answers. Laughing

mangaka-chan wrote:
Since you mentioned world manga, that means we can submit a review on a series from other country (i.e. not Japan) that's not licensed in the US, right?

Yes, go for it, introduce me to some awesome manga-style art from Italy or Malaysia or something.

minakichan wrote:
Are you going to limit it to volumes that haven't yet been reviewed in RTO though? I think the column could remain fresh and informative that way.

Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. Mostly, the guiding principle behind Reader's Choice is "Introduce me to a new series that hasn't been reviewed in RTO before," but every now and then I'll post a review from someone who totally disagreed with my review of a previous work. It'll be a nice point-counterpoint.

Quote:
Aww...no more WORST MANGA EVER!!!! section? I loved those...

...wait, Reader's Choice is REPLACING that? Oh no! What will RTO be without the beautifully snide remarks on really mediocre manga?

Yeah, I kinda ran out of Best/Worst things to put down. Embarassed After all, one only reads so many life-altering (or life-ruining) manga out there, so I'd be lying if I tried to list a "meh" title and tried to pretend it was the WORST EVRAR!!!!11 when it's really just half-assed.

So now bashing on really bad manga is everyone else's job. C'mon folks, show me what's in your garbage pile. Wink
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:50 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Or that there's a hidden gem that's been totally ignored and needs more attention?

Patachu wrote:
mangaka-chan wrote:

Yes, go for it, introduce me to some awesome manga-style art from Italy or Malaysia or something.

You know, these two categories alone are enough to have a separate column.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:12 am Reply with quote
I don't think you've run out of stuff for Best/Worst Manga yet.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
So now bashing on really bad manga is everyone else's job. C'mon folks, show me what's in your garbage pile. Wink

You ask that question of me at your own peril, sir. Smile Still, there's plenty of actual good manga out there going overlooked that I think more people will opt to tell you about the hidden gems than hidden "gems." At this point, I don't think I opt to make the distinction anymore.

I went through every single RTO column to see what got reviewed and what didn't, and if the bookstore shelves weren't already enough indication, it dawned on me that there's just so many titles out there...and so few that I actually bothered to read. The signal to noise ratio even for US anime releases is high, but it doesn't hold a candle to English-translated manga. I salute you for having the fortitude to read through all of these things. I would have dove out of a window long ago, if placed in a similar situation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
The signal to noise ratio even for US anime releases is high, but it doesn't hold a candle to English-translated manga.

You ain't see nothing yet. I'm serious. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
lijakaca

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:33 am Reply with quote
This is more of a general comment on the column rather than for this week.

In my not-humble opinion, it would make the reviews more clear to get rid of the Evidence For and Evidence Against sections, and just have one general Evidence section. Right now the Evidence For and Against is the same length no matter what the grade, and having them given equal weight makes it seem weird when a title is given a very good or very bad grade. When I read 4 sentences praising Love*Com, and then 4 disparaging it in equal strength, I can't tell what the overall impression is. Ever since I started reading the column I've found this strange.

I frequently check out book reviews on AAR, here are example of good and bad reviews from them:

Very good B+ review: http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=6568

Very bad D- review: http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=6555

As you can see, the overall good review gives more space to the positive but still mention the small problems the book had, and the bad review focuses on the negative but mentions what was ok about that book.

Sorry for the novel-length post, but I've been thinking about this for a while, so I thought I'd finally put my 2 cents in.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm. I had high hopes for Sundome to be something like a Hiroki Endo-esque look at high school/Japanese sexuality. I'll probably still check it out anyway but if it disappoints then I'll be..well..disappointed.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
So this means that "bad" manga will only appear through readers' reviews (since I assume bad manga wouldn't be receiving even a "kinda good" rating)? I'm a little disappointed, since I used this column partially to weed the junk out of my future purchases list. I guess there would be little effect if there are several readers' reviews per column, but I wouldn't want to read a whole column full of praise. Negative reviews are very helpful at saving me money. Of course, positive reviews ARE helpful (like, now Love*Com is officially the next series I start after finishing at least one more), but I like negative ones too.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
I don't think you've run out of stuff for Best/Worst Manga yet.

You may think that I haven't run out, but I know my own reading habits and history, and after running that feature 24/25/26 times I have just about gone through my own personal picks of the best and worst of all time. Think about it, that's pretty much a Top 10 list, a Bottom 10 list and spare change. Sounds about right.

la_contessa wrote:
So this means that "bad" manga will only appear through readers' reviews (since I assume bad manga wouldn't be receiving even a "kinda good" rating)? I'm a little disappointed, since I used this column partially to weed the junk out of my future purchases list. I guess there would be little effect if there are several readers' reviews per column, but I wouldn't want to read a whole column full of praise. Negative reviews are very helpful at saving me money. Of course, positive reviews ARE helpful (like, now Love*Com is officially the next series I start after finishing at least one more), but I like negative ones too.

I was joking about the new system. Razz

There will still be plenty of D's, low C's and the occasional F to be handed out. (EXCEPT FOR SHONEN JUMP TITLES. BECAUSE ALL SJ FANBOYS AND GIRLS KNOW THAT ANYTHING TO COME OUT OF THE PAGES OF SJ IS AN AUTOMATIC A AND ONLY MORON CRITIC HAT0RS GIVE IT ANYTHING LESS)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2