• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Female and Male respectivly
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:58 am Reply with quote
What takes place in the manga after the anime isn't just about the horse and the rooster. There's a whole barrage of other characters you'll find in the later volumes of the series as well.
Ningensei

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Whoops, I'm a little late to this week's discussion. Razz

I always like Shigure and Mayu's "relationship." And by that I not only mean the time where they spoiler[were actually together, but their friendship as well and how they interact with each other. Especially how Shigure looks forward to visiting the school, just so he can see Mayu and tease her and give her a hard time. Though I always felt that Shigure was trying to set Hatori and Mayu up more for the sake of Hatori, than for Mayu. And I am not so sure on how much he "cares" for her in that way at least.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
As time has gone by watching their relationship has gotten funny, especially when it came to Tohru's meeting and their discussing relationships and not being able to get married and all that nice stuff. The air is getting cold Laughing
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Tohru's reaction to that meeting was hysterical. She's always so adorable when she freaks out. (Does it make me creepy to think like that?)

Ice crystals. Anime hyper
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
I always like Shigure and Mayu's "relationship." And by that I not only mean the time where they spoiler[were actually together, but their friendship as well and how they interact with each other. Especially how Shigure looks forward to visiting the school, just so he can see Mayu and tease her and give her a hard time. Though I always felt that Shigure was trying to set Hatori and Mayu up more for the sake of Hatori, than for Mayu. And I am not so sure on how much he "cares" for her in that way at least.]

I think you're right about Shigure's spoiler[main reason for fixing up Hatori and Mayu. However, I think it's also clear Shigure knew Mayu was still in love with Hatori and still punishing herself for falling in love with her best friend's guy, even though that relationship ended horribly. Making Hatori happy was his primary goal, and I think he realized that his best chance to do that was through Mayu. To get Hatori to open his heart to the possibility of love meant Shigure had to get him together with someone who already loved him, Mayu. If it helped Mayu's issues along the way, I'm sure Shigure considered it a bonus.]

-Murph
suna_suna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
even if he helped her, and she grudginly realizes this, she will never admit it. and, he is still a meddler and a schemer.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Shigure spoiler[has had a mind about Hatori, especially when it came to Kana. When they went out that one time, they realized that Kana's wedding was on one of the days that they were at the Sohma retreat. He wants the best for Hatori, unlike the path that he had taken.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I always had a feeling that Shigure did not like spoiler[Kana from the beginning. That he felt that she was not good enough or, after finding out about the Curse, strong enough for him. And after Akito attacked Hatori and Kana had her breakdown, Shigure really hated her.]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I think everything you guys have said is correct. Although spoiler[Shigure is a master manipulator and schemer, and doesn't care who he hurts in the process, when it comes to Hatori, Shigure is different. He sees all the pain that Hatori had to go through, and just wanted his friend to be happy and realized that Mayu is the person for him.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
I think everything you guys have said is correct. Although spoiler[Shigure is a master manipulator and schemer, and doesn't care who he hurts in the process, when it comes to Hatori, Shigure is different. He sees all the pain that Hatori had to go through, and just wanted his friend to be happy and realized that Mayu is the person for him.]

Funny how everybody else spoiler[can be scarred but the mabudachi trio is treated differently. However if you all would notice Ayame doesn't seem to fall into the picture of Shigure's scheming at all. Perhaps because he's found his place and knows what boundaries not to cross?]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Ningensei wrote:

Funny how everybody else spoiler[can be scarred but the mabudachi trio is treated differently. However if you all would notice Ayame doesn't seem to fall into the picture of Shigure's scheming at all. Perhaps because he's found his place and knows what boundaries not to cross?]

Ayame would probably babble out Shigure's plans to everyone. Wink

But I think that Ayame was probably left in the dark spoiler[because he probably would NOT understand what Shigure is trying to do. Ayame knows that he has hurt people and he's trying to repair what he has done. So, I think that he would understand that what Shigure was doing would hurt a lot of people and would probably try to prevent that from happening. ]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I always had a feeling that Shigure did not like spoiler[Kana from the beginning. That he felt that she was not good enough or, after finding out about the Curse, strong enough for him. And after Akito attacked Hatori and Kana had her breakdown, Shigure really hated her.]

I also had the same feeling. Smile (great minds "feel" alike) Very Happy spoiler[Kana was good enough to make Hatori see the beauty in the world and stop living behind that wall that he has created around him, but when she cracked down I thought at that time that she had done to him a deeper wound and had made him create a more solid wall this time. Which is something that Shigure certainly observed. I still ask myself if Kana hadn't given up at that time, would Hatori and her live "happily ever after" within the Sohma mansion, in spite of Akito's malicious acts?

As for Ayame knowing ]
Shigure's plans, well, I couldn't possible imagine that. One, because Ayame is by far one of the craziest characters in the manga and not too reliable when it comes to secrets. And two, like it has been said before, Ayame has done enough damage in the past and has traded people for his freedom (see Yuki) that I'm not sure if he would understand Shigure's reasons at all.spoiler[]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Possibly meaning that Shigure spoiler[has a hatred for "weak" people then? Which would probably explain his taking a likeness to Tohru and Rin, because they have a strong sense of wanting to get something done, no matter what stands in their way. Rin even went as far as to offer herself to Shigure in exchange for finding a way to free Hatsuharu from the curse.]
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote
Well, fighterholic mentioning Haru and Rin is a good transition into our next topic.

Welcome to Hatsuharu and Isuzu week. spoiler[I think these two really suit each other. Each wants to rescue the other. Haru wants to rescue Rin physical and mentally, from the abuse of bad parents and Akito. Rin wants to save Haru from the curse, and goes so far as to break up with him to try and achieve than end. Not to mention they like the same style of clothes. Very Happy If I remember correctly, Takaya-sensei said Rin started that trend, and Haru adapted to it, and began to enjoy it.]

I look forward to the discussion!

-Murph
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 103 of 170