• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNtv - 2008-01-26

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:23 am Reply with quote
Pretty darn good. And Toole was funny, yet informative. Also I think I fit his age group slightly better than the average forum goer. He will be doing Galaxy Angel next time. Can't wait to hear what he has to say about that one. Laughing I admit I do stick thoses DVDs in from time to time, they are great for turn off your brain fun.

Another show he mentioned that you can't get is Magic Boy. although I think there are still R2s.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:28 am Reply with quote
I really wish somebody would clue Ellie in on how to actually pronounce "Evangelion". The funny thing is how she never pronounces it the same way twice in a given episode. Just a little nitpick.

Mike Toole's segment was hilarious and informative. I would love to watch Alakazam the Great. Too bad it's not on DVD.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:42 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mmsven

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:32 am Reply with quote
Mike Toole's comments we're really funny, mainly because they are true.

I don't get that Moe stuff either. I would rather look at the girls in Akira to be honest, and thats really saying something. They may not look good, but they are way closer to realism.

Kanon contains the same type of annoying characters present in all romantic comedies, as it appears.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:11 am Reply with quote
@ Toole: Rolling Eyes You can't really call moe "the specter that haunts Japan and the US" when Japanese fans actually like it. It's projection to the highest degree to assume that a completely different fandom shares one's opinion on moe. I'll admit that his comments on the show itself had merit, although I don't see the "dumb costumes" he mentioned. But, the "review" seemed less a review of the first volume and first volume only (as ANN and AoD's reviews clearly delineate), and more like "I'm going to generalize this entire series based on the first volume because I hate moe." But seriously, if you approach every anime with the same cynical mindset he uses, practically everything is trash.

/fanboy defense

Didn't see anything wrong with the rest of the show though, including O'Toole's Alakazam segment. Looking forward to Galaxy Angel next week month.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:22 am Reply with quote
Toole,kinda took over there.Very good episode,though I have to say,I was never a fan of Journey to the West,but wow,there are still people who remember the actual anime classics.I applaude Toole for the poster behind him.That Kanon dub,on the other hand,made me wanna chug some mercury,myself.Keep up the good work,ANN.
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:26 am Reply with quote
I loved Kanon (and Kyle Jones' dub), but man, did I love Toole's show...

Too bad he only comes on at the end of the month (according to the thing)...

But yeah, we need more of him.
Outlaw_Spike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:17 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
...I'll admit that his comments on the show itself had merit, although I don't see the "dumb costumes" he mentioned. But, the "review" seemed less a review of the first volume and first volume only (as ANN and AoD's reviews clearly delineate), and more like "I'm going to generalize this entire series based on the first volume because I hate moe." But seriously, if you approach every anime with the same cynical mindset he uses, practically everything is trash. . .

And that's pretty much exactly how I felt.

Even though the review was hilarious, it did seem somewhat odd [to me] that Mr. Toole dismisses the whole series based on the first disc. I can understand his disdain for the genre (is moe really a genre?), but is it really fair to judge an entire show based on 4 episodes?

Even though I say all of that, I really did enjoy the review and found it very funny. The Alakazam the Great segment was also very interesting and informative. So, Mr. Toole (if you're actually reading this), please keep up the good work and know that I am eagerly anticipating the next Anime Jump Show.

Edit: grammar and coding
Leebo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:24 am Reply with quote
I love Kanon and I agree with everything the review said. Can't help if I enjoy something while rationally knowing it's complete fluff.

Actually, there was one thing I didn't agree with, where he said the animation wasn't outstanding. Even if you dislike the character designs, you can't deny the awesome job KyoAni did animating them.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:02 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
@ O'Toole: Rolling Eyes You can't really call moe "the specter that haunts Japan and the US" when Japanese fans actually like it. It's projection to the highest degree to assume that a completely different fandom shares one's opinion on moe. I'll admit that his comments on the show itself had merit, although I don't see the "dumb costumes" he mentioned. But, the "review" seemed less a review of the first volume and first volume only (as ANN and AoD's reviews clearly delineate), and more like "I'm going to generalize this entire series based on the first volume because I hate moe." But seriously, if you approach every anime with the same cynical mindset he uses, practically everything is trash.

/fanboy defense

Quoted for truth. While I'm no moe fanboy, I absolutely loved Kanon; I thought it was both hilarious with it's subtle sarcastic humor, and very beautifully animated. It also has that hint of mystery that kept me intruigued. Maybe that has something to do with the fact that I had almost no clue what "moe" was when I first watched Kanon, and I just took it at face value instead of shoehorning it into a genre.

It seems like this guy didn't even want to consider giving it a chance to transcend it's genre, which is a shame. Confused

His style is hilarious, though, I'll give him that. It's how I'd review anime if I ever did that sort of thing. Razz
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:03 am Reply with quote
I think I laughed only twice. "man pet" and "mercury jelly". Some of the so-called review was vaguly accurate, but calling it the review interesting would be a flatout lie. That could have been about 4-5 minutes shorter and still gotten its point across without annoying me. We're a few inches away from G4/TechTV's slippery slope. If Mr. "I'm-not-funny" starts doing 5-10 minute segments about HIMSELF rather than anime or involving little not-funny skits of him dressing up and being an ass, then we will be there.

I realize in a world of Comedy Centrals G4s, reality tv, and Family Guys, etc, most people today will laugh at absolutely anything, but I'm not in that crowd. I'm sure I am in the minority here.

As for Kanon, I personally like it, but ironically enough he didn't mention my problem with it. "Superfluous tragedy syndrome"... STS means things get really almost comically tragic. This tragic-ness is almost like a forest fire sweeping through and engulfing everything. Even certain "would-be-irrelevant" details started having tragic events slapped onto them for no real reason. It felt artificial by the end, and didn't keep you in the moment as much. It didn't ruin the show though.

Editted for spelling/grammer/etc

Last edited by vtnwesley on Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
TheFly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote
The Mike Toole segment was great. Whilst I'm a big fan of Kanon and disagreed with most of his criticisms, that doesn't matter. It was very funny ("Mai has a f***ing sword!!") and was really more of an entertainment piece than a review.

It did make me think though. Maybe it would be good to have your regular reviewers do a video piece (with clips from the show) to accompany their reviews? Similar to what a lot of the game review sites do nowadays. I imagine this will fall foul of the not-in-NY problem, but maybe you could just do voiceover-only using video from the show? Just a thought. Smile
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:51 am Reply with quote
Oh god, that's not Hikari's (Nadesico) va doing Ayu is it?

Ok, it's time to self Thuder Crack Fist myself.

Also, am I the only person who thinks that the mouth should be some 2 or three centimeters more down from the nose?

Alakazam looks awesome, a shame it's not DVDable, still, if worst comes to worst, I'll see it like how I did the two Sanrio movies that AWO did.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
You can't really call moe "the specter that haunts Japan and the US" when Japanese fans actually like it.

That's a somewhat misleading statement / belief. Moe is just as popular in Japan as it is in America, and vice-versa. But obviously the numbers are bigger in Japan since there are more anime fans.

Moe is definitely the hottest niche within anime on both sides of the pacific, but to say that the majority of anime fans on either side of the pacific like the genre is misleading. Most anime fans in Japan either don't get moe, don't like moe, or don't specifically care for moe but do like some of the moe shows (I fall into the latter category myself).

Among many old-school fans in Japan, people in their late 20s and up, there's actually a pretty significant dislike of moe.

One Japanese otaku & anime professional I spoke with last time I was in Japan referred to moe as repressed sexual infatuation with children or childlike characters. Although I know of many moe fans who do fit that generalization, I don't agree with it as a blanket statement personally. But perhaps his statement is more true in Japan than America, I don't know.

Clearly, not everyone in Japan is moe for moe. But there's also no denying that it has many, many fans, and it's fans are very, very fervent. Very much like here.

-t
mbueno

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap....I've never seen any of Mike's work before, but that broke me bigtime! ^_____^

I look forward to seeing future segments of his...

Especially because of the use of funny random video clips to punctuate points.

The Freddie Mercury one was one of the best cases of this. Kudos, good sir...kudos. Anime hyper
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Mike's review is supposed to be funny and sarcastic and a lot of you are taking it way too seriously. Lighten up folks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7