• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Removes Titles from Website - Update

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
NOW I'm worried...

I need them to finish Kurau: Phantom Memory and if they don't...well there are other ways of seeing it...
WEKS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
It's over, AVD is finished.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It may still be one of several possible outcomes of the current situation

This is one of their possible outcomes? Not too far from the truth? Current situation?

Doom. Gloom. A new geneon.

Last edited by Viga_of_stars on Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
zetsuie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
WEKS wrote:
haha even though none of the retailers said that ADV hasn't canceled the releases
lol
insomniac1970

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
WEKS wrote:

I don't know about that, but it does not look good. It looks like ADV had a partner stiff them and leave them short of cash. In any case, I hope that will be able to continue because there are animes that I still want to buy from them: AIR, Kanon, The Wallflower, and Pumpkin Scissors.
Zan27

If I hear one more thing about the impending doom of the R1 industry, I'm going to start cracking some heads.

This is probably just one of those effed-up business ordeals. It'll pass.
wilson_x1999

Oh crap...

I wasn't worried before, but I am now.

If ADV doesn't want to comment about a particular issue it's ok, but they can't leave their costumers without any info whatsoever, because, if they do that, every R1 anime fan in the internet will start shouting and this whole thing will get bigger than it was supposed to.

I really wanted to get Keroro and Gurren Lagann, but I'm thinking that I'll never get to have those on a physical media :S
Lemwon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, you've got my attention now. Sad
Hopefully some of these are still at the stores...
zetsuie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
wilson_x1999 wrote:
Oh crap...

I wasn't worried before, but I am now.

If ADV doesn't want to comment about a particular issue it's ok, but they can't leave their costumers without any info whatsoever, because, if they do that, every R1 anime fan in the internet will start shouting and this whole thing will get bigger than it was supposed to.

I really wanted to get Keroro and Gurren Lagann, but I'm thinking that I'll never get to have those on a physical media :S
adv almost never comments on anything when was the last time u heard about the live action eva movie from adv hmmm?
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
If they stop distribution, I'll be screwed out of AMG, season 2, and Red Garden. I was thinking about Wallflower, but that can wait now, I guess.

Thank god, Le Chevalier d'Eon finished at least.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I don't see that this new item portrays a gloomier picture than the original. It more or less confirms that ADV has some kind of internal issue they're trying to sort out that most likely involves license arrangements, but that's it. People made paranoid by the Geneon situation (which had signs of trouble for months prior to its collapse, unlike ADV's current situation) and are jumping the gun on these predictions of doom.

Let's give ADV a chance to get their mess sorted out and then see what they have to say.

Last edited by Key on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
geishageek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
As unsettleing as this seems to be, I am not getting my panties in a wad just yet. I am currently collecting quite a few of these shows with 1 or 2 dvds out. Nothing has really been said about them pulling titles so we will just have to wait and see what the outcome will be. It may work itself out (as ADV is probably hoping it will) and that is why ADV has yet to comment on the situation.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
In what way does this article say anything that makes the situation suddenly cut-and-dry "ADV is finished"? It's very clear that whatever is happening is still developing and there's no conclusion to any of it yet, so we just have to wait it out until there is some sort of finale.

This is what's called a "developing story", folks. You need to be patient.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
People have been made too paranoid by the Geneon situation (which had signs of trouble for months prior to its collapse, which ADV hasn't had) and are jumping the gun on this predictions of doom.
You wouldn't characterize their various program shutdowns, ending Newtype USA and other activities as "signs of trouble?"

All this new information does is explain some of the reality of the situation, which makes it more worrisome, not less. Before, some were suggesting this was just a computer problem. Now, it's looking quite a bit more serious.

And ADV stays silent of course.
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Key wrote:
People have been made too paranoid by the Geneon situation (which had signs of trouble for months prior to its collapse, which ADV hasn't had) and are jumping the gun on this predictions of doom.
You wouldn't characterize their various program shutdowns, ending Newtype USA and other activities as "signs of trouble?"

All this new information does is explain some of the reality of the situation, which makes it more worrisome, not less. Before, some were suggesting this was just a computer problem. Now, it's looking quite a bit more serious.

And ADV stays silent of course.

I would think that--if anything-- the company is definitely going through some major cutbacks/reorganization if these alleged cancellations prove to be true in addition to Newtype/Network problems. Keep in mind that as of right now, the idea of these 37 being cut loose is still unconfirmed. If it does pan out, then perhaps it's better in the long run for now. ADV has entirely too many properties on their hands, and have had for quite a few years now. Stick to what works, and pick up a few wild cards here and there-- not everything but the kitchen sink.

Last edited by Nabeshin on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4