• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNtv - 2008-02-02

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:35 am Reply with quote
Hey, I was thinking...

You should really take these shows (or at least the interviews, etc), and subtitle them into Japanese, and let your sister site animeanime put up the videos for Japanese fans.

I think a lot of the news and views discussed on the shows would be very interesting back in Japan (especially the interviews), and it would help promote cross-ocean understanding. Animeanime has had a lot of news items about R1 anime lately, so I think your weekly(ish) news show would be neat for them to have.

(Although I'm not sure they have a streaming video capability like you do).
Lolotakun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:15 am Reply with quote
Nice, but the stuttering during the really long interview was difficult to suffer. If Chris Tribbey had gotten out of his wholesale warehouse, some audio editing could have been done to cut out the repetitions and the "er..."s and "you know"s. Maybe some of Mario Buenos questions should have been reshot, they contrast highly with his otherwise fluent delivery.

But content-wise very good, thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gage

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote
The footage seemed a bit blurry to me than normal. Footage being the whole show in general although it wasn't bad to the point of me not knowing what was going on. Although you did note technical difficulties with the audio so maybe there were issues with quality. Was a good show all in all.
tueac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
The way of releasing the whole season or 13 episodes at a time is already done here in Singapore... and it really ok.
Yoshball

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
I literally laughed out loud when Mario went into his "relaxed" position for the interview. All of a sudden there was a random knee in camera and it took me a second to figure out how it got there. If he's going to sit, then at least show the chair or start at some other angle. Otherwise its one camera shot of him standing then camera cut to a floating knee. Weird.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoying ANNtv, nice work! I liked the interview and am looking forward to the one next week with Oreskaband!
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quote
That was an interesting interview. I have to say, I really like the whole idea of complete seasons instead of singles; you still have something nice to put on your shelf (what I don't like about digital downloads - I like to have a hard copy), but it's less expensive. Usually when you buy a single you're down for the entire series anyway. If they throw in some nice boxes and LE extras or something (a la Haruhi), there's a nice incentive for people to buy them.

As far as ADV goes, they can crap out as long as Appleseed: Ex Machina gets released first. :p

....*knocks on wood*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
very eye-opening interview. seemed really awkward for some reason though.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
Yay, I finally got the stream to work! I was having trouble since it was posted last night and this morning for some reason.

Interesting interview, and I think it should be clear to everyone to prepare for major shrinkage.

Laughing It did remind me of Animeigo, aren't they supposed to be releasing something new pretty soon though?
Gage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote
When exactly will this video be uploaded to your DailyMotion page? I'm anxious to get it up on my blog soon.
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
That was an interesting interview. I have to say, I really like the whole idea of complete seasons instead of singles; you still have something nice to put on your shelf (what I don't like about digital downloads - I like to have a hard copy), but it's less expensive. Usually when you buy a single you're down for the entire series anyway. If they throw in some nice boxes and LE extras or something (a la Haruhi), there's a nice incentive for people to buy them.

As far as ADV goes, they can crap out as long as Appleseed: Ex Machina gets released first. :p

....*knocks on wood*

I think the problem with boxes is that japanese companies likely tell them not to do that. I'd think in the mind of a marketting guy, boxsets are for old classic content which has made its money or budget shows which won't sell otherwise. It's probably going to take some open mindedness on all parts to get real boxsets instead of singles. I feel your pain though. I'm for boxsets all the way.

Digital distribution is a trickier beast though. 1. It needs to be viewable on more than just the PC. Not all services are good about this. iTunes had the ipods and appletv unit which is kind of nice 2. When you stuff gets messed up, you need some kind of method for re-download, even if it's DRMd or watermarked. Forced CD-R or DVD-R data backups wouldn't be an outright bad idea either. 3. There needs to be some future support assurance system in place. I buy my junk through distributor "A" and they go out of business. Is their proprietary DRM going to lock me to non-functional software? When I reinstall Windows or upgrade, will legalanimedl.fake.com still even let me install their client software? All big considerations. I think iTunes has come a long way and is getting interesting, but digital distribution has a long way to go.

BTW, Much better ANNTV this week. No complaints. Hope you guys interview some American voice actors at some point too. You should start with Vic "FMA" "hard last name to remember". Many people like him including me, and he seems accessible for that kind of fandom type stuff.
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:44 pm Reply with quote
When I read Ellie was 'off this week', I was thinking Mario doing all the talking might look weird/awkward.
But I think he carried it really well. Good job!
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Gage wrote:
When exactly will this video be uploaded to your DailyMotion page? I'm anxious to get it up on my blog soon.

It's up now.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
Definitely my favorite episode so far. The industry insider interview was nicely done. I'm not a big fan of ANNtv restating what is already posted in the news section in text. Interviews like this one are much better. What I really would love to see is an interview with someone from either ADV or Genoen although don't expect it to happen.
cloud1989

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
I like the idea of complete collections, mainly because I've became to afraid to buy singles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2