• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Anime Center's Kubo Offers Proposal on Fansubs

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:43 am Reply with quote
HAHA, finaly someone who seems to have a good idea, working together with the fansubbers.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:47 am Reply with quote
Um...

I've translated more than 200 episodes for fansubs (mostly Pretty Cure). Does that make me one of the 10? *crosses fingers*
Note, I live in Tokyo. Call me! (seriously).

In any case this is a fascinating development, but... Kubo doesn't exactly run the anime studios in Japan. But his voice must carry some significant weight, however.

Furthermore: 6 MILLION? Dang. That might be the number of episodes, but how many individuals is it, I wonder? I didn't really think it could be than a million just with bittorent.
zalas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If our country is to formally deal with YouTube and other services, it will be necessary to have some sort of approach to dealing with these individuals. I hope to resolve this by officially making use of their abilities, on a one-to-one basis.

Um... is it just me, or does the translation there seem a bit off? The original reads:
Quote:
今後、国が
YouTube などを正式に認めていこうとするならば、彼らに対してのなんらかなアプローチが必
要となっています。個人的には彼らの能力が正式に生かせる形で解決していくことを希望して
います。

If I'm reading this correctly, the "個人的には" should mean that it is of the writer's personal opinion, and not "on a one-to-one basis." Furthermore, the "formally deal" sounds a bit odd as well.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:58 am Reply with quote
zalas wrote:
Quote:
If our country is to formally deal with YouTube and other services, it will be necessary to have some sort of approach to dealing with these individuals. I hope to resolve this by officially making use of their abilities, on a one-to-one basis.

Um... is it just me, or does the translation there seem a bit off? The original reads:
Quote:
今後、国が
YouTube などを正式に認めていこうとするならば、彼らに対してのなんらかなアプローチが必
要となっています。個人的には彼らの能力が正式に生かせる形で解決していくことを希望して
います。

If I'm reading this correctly, the "個人的には" should mean that it is of the writer's personal opinion, and not "on a one-to-one basis." Furthermore, the "formally deal" sounds a bit odd as well.

zalas, there's no need to show off. I'm sure you're one of the 10. Smile.

But you're correct. Because of the "wa", that sentence should be:

"Personally, I hope that this can be resolved by beginning to make use of their abilities officially. "
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote
o.o so, they're finally working with them.

But for people who said that fansubs hadn't affected them business wise before, were wrong.

>.>; At least there's some kind of start. But I wonder how it would work out, especially with shows that have already been licensed in the US.
houkoholic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:18 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

No they are not working with fansubbers and there are no plans to do so. Do not take an individual's yet-to-come-into-fruitation idea and personal opinion as the collective voice of the entire industry. Not to mention it is extremely difficult for one man to change, well, almost anything in Japan. I do not see it happening in the short term future so don't go parading yet.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:30 am Reply with quote
houkoholic wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:

No they are not working with fansubbers and there are no plans to do so. Do not take an individual's yet-to-come-into-fruitation idea and personal opinion as the collective voice of the entire industry. Not to mention it is extremely difficult for one man to change, well, almost anything in Japan. I do not see it happening in the short term future so don't go parading yet.

Hm, thinking about this a bit more deeply, I begin to see ulterior motives in some of the language. That line "They translate better than a pro!" is strange. I really doubt anyone with any knowledge would make such a blanket statement.
Plus, where in the world did this figure "10" come from?

I think that this entire part was designed as a way to convince the anime companies to actually try and deal with the problem. The 6 million figure, and the "pro level" translations, plus only 10 people to deal with... wow, that sounds easy to fix when you put it that way.

Compared to the realistic and well thought out opinion of sevakis, this "report" seems like pure propaganda towards the anime companies in Japan, with little concrete suggestions.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:44 am Reply with quote
Surely this is no different from the long established practice of corporations (and government agencies) recruiting hackers to work for them?
It doen't stop hacking but it helps to contain it provided there aren't more skilled hackers than places in which to accomodate them.

Essentially it's paying scumbags not to be scumbags which is okay by me if it reduces the general level of, uhm, scumbagery.
Yes, I just made that word up.

If it's true that the number of skilled fansubbers is relatively small, it is a potentially viable (if morally murky) option presuming that most fansubbers would be willing to become salarymen for Japanese media corp's if given the option.
KarmaRocketX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:07 am Reply with quote
Wow. Talk about the worst idea ever.

This is incredibly stupid and asanine. This won't do a thing a solve the problem of anime piracy, and will do everything to reward individuals for wrecking the anime industry in the US.

I guess they are thinking this will do some measure of good under the assumption of "Why not embrace our enemies and employ them?". But for every fansubber they hire professionally and give a paycheck to, more amateur fantranslators and piraters will just pop right up to replace them, thereby doing no good at all.

Not to mention, we'll STILL have just as many elitist "fans" and their rather ignorant and useless whining about how "dubs ruin anime" and accusing the hired fansubbers of being sellouts and start pirating anime again.

Basically this is not the answer. Rewarding anime piraters and fansubbers and giving them a paycheck isn't going to stop a new breed of fansubbers and piraters from replacing them.

The only real answer is a more effective crackdown on piracy and doing more to stop piraters from ruining the American anime market, not rewarding them.

I absolutely do not see how this ridiculously naive, over idealistic fantasy solution is going to help anything. This is a monumentally huge leap in the exact opposite direction and will do 4 times as much harm as good.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:13 am Reply with quote
The only solution to this situation is simultaneous release.

Even then, people will still put up copies of the stuff they want to see.

Seriously, USA'ers, buy the dvds. They're SO much cheaper than they are here.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:16 am Reply with quote
There are dubs that ruin anime, mainly from 4kids.............

I toyed around with the idea of using fansubbers and then a steaming service in my head, apparently i should have patented the idea.........

TokyoGetter wrote:
The only solution to this situation is simultaneous release.

Even then, people will still put up copies of the stuff they want to see.

True, to the point of Tears............... Wink

If we don't want BVUSA prices we should by even if we watch fansubs we should have enough honor to buy, i get about 90% of the shows i download and watch beyond 1 episode, and in more than a few cases i've DLed the entire show, never watched the beyond the first or second episode and then picked up the full US release when it came around.

-Gabe

Last edited by rankothefiremage on Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:19 am Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:

Yeah......and they are, in 50+% of cases worst quality (bad translation, horrible subs, slow releases) No thank you

And please, let's not start that "fansubs are ruining the US anime market" crap again, it's been done to death, in the Geneon survey thread and Bandai nwe licence thread.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:28 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:

Yeah......and they are, in 50+% of cases worst quality (bad translation, horrible subs, slow releases) No thank you

And please, let's not start that "fansubs are ruining the US anime market" crap again, it's been done to death, in the Geneon survey thread and Bandai nwe licence thread.

Way to ring the 'I'M ENTITLED!" alarm. How does theft has no effect on an industry?

"I liked the fansub better, so no, I won't support the studio that puts the shows out, I won't support the industry that allows them to produce it in the first place, and I won't pay for the work of professionals to do something they love. BUT I'M STILL GOING TO PUT IT ON MY MACHINE."

If you are complaining about super-accurate translations in a language where even finding the subject is a major challenge to people who've been studying it for years, then perhaps the 'quality of translation' point is moot.

Get your hand out of the cookie jar.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:39 am Reply with quote
Fair enough, that did not come out as I was wanting it to.

I will keep my complaints about the DVDs as they are valid, and no amount of bitching will change the fact that the releases are slow, the translations are sometimes WAY off, and that they do indeed look horible (not much can be done about that, it's the standard).

It's true, only a fool would argue that fansubs in no way damage the industry. It does, it has been proven, and it IS common sense. There are people who like the show, but will not buy it because they can get it for free (witch, even if it is not morraly correct, it IS logical). Still, to claim that EVERY SINGLE ONE of the downloads is a lost sale is BS. That would mean that everyone who downloaded series X would have bought it if it was not downloadable. This has ALSO been proves as BS.

What REALLY annoyes me is people who claim that fansubs are THE ONLY AND TRUE cause of the demise of the US anime market.

The slow release dates, the dropping of shows in the middle, bad maketing decisions, licensing od cheap and stupid titles with not much fanbase, ABSURD prices (Bandai, I'm looking at you), have NOTHIG to do with it....right? Rolling Eyes

CRAP......I just did the thing I warned people not to do......
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:57 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:

50%... really? It's sort of hard to accept the notion that you've not only evaluated 100% of DVD releases in the US, but have also found more than half of them to be 'worst quality'. It probably actually sounds better to just say "I don't need a reason. I'm going to keep downloading until someone forces me to stop."

DmonHiro wrote:
[]And please, let's not start that "fansubs are ruining the US anime market" crap again, it's been done to death, in the Geneon survey thread and Bandai nwe licence thread.

Indeed, discussion of the US market isn't particularly relevent since the point of the article appears to be that fansubs are impacting the Japanese anime market.

Did no one else find this significent?
Quote:
After the April 2008 television program schedules [in Japan] are laid out (*2), the drop in the number of animated programs will be clearly seen. In short, the Japanese animation business has fallen into a great crisis.

In makes me wonder just how big a drop we will see in the April schedules, but it doesn't sound like cause to jump for joy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7