• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Like a Girl Out of Hell

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote
I would have never predicted ANN's newfound fascination with Futari Ecchi. It does get props for it, though.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Strawberry Panic with a C+, eh? In an objective standpoint, yeah it's pretty trashy. It's not going to stop me from enjoying it! Laughing
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I've been meaning to check out Strawberry Panic, since I've heard a lot about it. This review does make me a bit more hesitant, though I'll admit that trashy hasn't stopped me before. Plus, I still like Vampire Knight, despite your Worst Manga rating Smile

This also reminds me that I want to pick up the novel that Vampire D: Bloodlust was based on (#3, IIRC). And maybe manga for it too, because I like the story. But I think the series overall might be a bit too epic for my tastes.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I've been meaning to check out Strawberry Panic, since I've heard a lot about it. This review does make me a bit more hesitant, though I'll admit that trashy hasn't stopped me before.

If you haven't started collecting Strawberry Panic manga, DON'T. The reason has nothing to do with its story or art.

A cordial advice from an owner of first two volumes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Ditto on the Honey and Clover drama. Some bits seem really out of place, like the casting and the overexaggeration, but I really enjoy it, it's very funny and fresh, even if it isn't HnC. (And Narumi Riko is adorable, I don't care what anyone else says =D)

Hmm, Speed Racer... I flipped through that in the bookstore and thought it was Japanese. The art looks quite a bit better than, say, Tokyopop OEL.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

If you haven't started collecting Strawberry Panic manga, DON'T. The reason has nothing to do with its story or art.

Why would that be? I was slightly interested in it, if only to fit in with a specific crowd, but that comment has pushed me further away from it.
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I definitely agree with the low rating on the first volume of Hell Girl. Heck, I would have bumped it even a bit lower...not that it's bad so much as it just sits there on the page and doesn't inspire much of a reaction at all.

MANGA SUTRA: FUTARI H sounds fascinating. My store rarely carries stuff like that, but I'll have to keep an eye out for this.

Interesting opening fan review! I find the comment that "something is always happening" is a problem to be an interesting one. I've only read the first two volumes of Red River, but I did feel like it never really slowed down enough to get to know the characters as well as I wanted to. Also, I literally chuckled every single time they used the name Tito, and it totally took me out of the story. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
I would have never predicted ANN's newfound fascination with Futari Ecchi. It does get props for it, though.

Total coincidence, I swear. Laughing I had no clue that "Step Up Love Story" (who makes up these titles?) was Futari H until it showed up in Bamboo's column, and I'm like, Oh crap, that's one of my reviews for next week LAWL.

I mean, it was either that or Fantasy Action Adventure #34768 or High School Romantic Comedy With Shinies #2884. Wink

minakichan wrote:
(And Narumi Riko is adorable, I don't care what anyone else says =D)

This is true. She doesn't have Hagu's looks but she totally has the enigmatic smile ... and just the way she carries herself.

Quote:
Hmm, Speed Racer... I flipped through that in the bookstore and thought it was Japanese. The art looks quite a bit better than, say, Tokyopop OEL.

That would be because the artist is Filipino and PHILIPPINES IS CLOSER TO JAPAN HURHURHUR
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
dormcat wrote:

Why would that be? I was slightly interested in it, if only to fit in with a specific crowd, but that comment has pushed me further away from it.

I'm interesting in knowing what this reason is too.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:
dormcat wrote:

I'm interesting in knowing what this reason is too.

I think Dormcat is trying to say that the manga is currently on hiatus in Japan. There are 2 volumes out in Japan, but the 3rd one is still a ways off. The good thing is that it doesn't end on a cliffhanger and you can read the Light Novels for the rest of the story.

That's my take, at least.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Really? I didn't know the manga was in hiatus (I wonder what the reason for that was). I guess I could check the other new yuri releases like First Love Sisters and Voiceful since I'm assured those are complete.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
I think Dormcat is trying to say that the manga is currently on hiatus in Japan. There are 2 volumes out in Japan, but the 3rd one is still a ways off. The good thing is that it doesn't end on a cliffhanger and you can read the Light Novels for the rest of the story.

Guess it's not a secret anymore. Sorry if my disclosure (or kind of forcing you to do so) has any negative effect on its sales in North America. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

As a fan and owner of the series, I was surprised, shocked, and disbelieving when I learned the unconfirmed rumor, yet as time went by I could no longer deny it. If you check Amazon.jp you'll find the second volume was released seven months after the first, yet 15 months have passed now and there's no sign of volume 3. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, I hope Strawberry Panic continues eventually, but that won't stop me from picking up the manga. There are two other versions of the story as well, both coming out here and I've already seen the anime, so if the manga doesn't finish it won't be that big of a deal for me. Strawberry Panic is pure yuri cheesecake (some might call it trash) and what it passes for a plot is just an excuse for said cheesecake. At least that's how it was in the anime and I don't expect the manga and novels to differe much in that regard. In any case, I still plan to pick up the manga (the first volume should ship one of these days....) and the novels and anime, too.

As for the content itself, I can't say much since I've only seen the anime, but from what I know, I doubt I'll disagree with the review much. But I can accept it for what it is and enjoy it as such, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Treetastic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:

MANGA SUTRA: FUTARI H sounds fascinating. My store rarely carries stuff like that, but I'll have to keep an eye out for this.

Haha... funny story. [/sarcasm] At my local Chapters, it's sitting in with the teen and kiddie manga. Un-shrinkwrapped. I didn't actually read any of it, but it sounds like an odd choice to not shrinkwrap (or, perhaps, to de-shrinkwrap.)

Now I feel like writing a fan review, but I'm not sure what of...
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
What Super Bowl? Only the best Super Bowl played in recent years (at least in the 4th quarter). I mean c'mon, the undefeated Pats going down to the G-men; and Manning's pass to Tyree after evading a sack is one of the greatest plays in history.

Anyway; I didn't know they were bringing Futari H over, might check it out for kicks. Heh heh, "manga sutra"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2