• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-02-06

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:03 am Reply with quote
Those poor orphans... lol
Son Biggie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
wow... that is not far form the truth...
sokpupet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
one problem...the bat doesn't have any nails sticking out of it.
sinisterorion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:14 am Reply with quote
wow, i work for a barnes and noble and let me tell you, that is 100% true...
...i only wish I had the bat... closest we have there is a mallet...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
Well the sooner Nina clears out the riff raff the sooner I can reach the N-Z section heh. Seriously though I doubt a bat would work....they're like cockroaches.....it only works if you get them all in a fell swoop. Otherwise another will crawl out from a crack to take the place of the fallen cockroach.
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
Son Biggie wrote:
wow... that is not far form the truth...

Indeed. There is a significant lack of Teens sitting around.

Its worse when the section is only about a shelf big. Though, I only have this problem at "Book" Book stores. At my local shop of comic bookery, they seem to have a teen repellent field of some sort.

Last edited by HyperGatack on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Kenotic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quote
sinisterorion wrote:
wow, i work for a barnes and noble and let me tell you, that is 100% true...
...i only wish I had the bat... closest we have there is a mallet...

Ooh, if there are any leeches reading the Ranma manga, then maybe you can show them how Akane Tendo would solve the problem.

I haven't found this to be an issue with the James Michener sections .... thankfully.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
Laughing
Sadly I once encountered someone sleeping on the floor in the manga section like in that third panel. Ah, freeloaders! Rolling Eyes
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
I find this funny that I never encountered such a problem before ?
maybe it's because manga isn't too popular in Canada , but I wouldn't think so otherwise all the places to find manga wouldn't be selling them.
or maybe it's because in places like Chapters there are actually chairs for you to sit and read ?
or maybe because in places like Renaud-bray they seal the mangas with plastics. xD .
or simply because people actually buy them ? lol .
kona-chan13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
OMG this is a BIG problem at the borders in riverside
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:01 am Reply with quote
I have read one whole chapter at a book store before, and that's as far as I went. It was just to see if I liked the story enough to buy... Which I eventually did, the first two volumes! But then my friend bought the rest of the series... Once my friend's got a series, the motivation to buy is gone. ^^; I just...don't buy manga anymore. She lets me borrow from her LIBRARY. o.o;;
Evelas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
It drives me nuts when kids are camping in the aisle of manga when I want to browse. You go get 'em, Nina!

I've also recently encountered a new type of "aisle-blocker": guys who prop their comic book/manga on the topmost shelf and are totally oblivious to anyone wanting to look at the shelf. What made it worse is that there were two empty benches right behind him. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, love the Nina comics, keep up the awesome work! Anime smile
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:12 am Reply with quote
Fascinating. We do not have that problem over here - not to the same degree, anyway. Perhaps American teenagers are less well bred?

That does not prevent me from appreciating the humour, and getting the joke. I also like the right-hand panel, top line - colour choice captured the mood perfectly. However, Nina looked like she was drawn in a slightly different style than before (not quality-wise, just style wise).

I still pine for the return of Daisuke, but in the meantime I am happy enough. Perhaps next week I will get the joke on more than just an intellectual level.

Keep up the fine work.
Taiyz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
kurotsuki wrote:
maybe it's because manga isn't too popular in Canada , but I wouldn't think so otherwise all the places to find manga wouldn't be selling them.
or maybe it's because in places like Chapters there are actually chairs for you to sit and read ?
You're merely lucky. The last time I went to Chapters, in fact, there were several people lying right up against the manga shelves reading it.

You'd think they'd realize how obvious it is...Don't even get me started on how young they looked compared to what series' they were actually reading. >_>

I'm somewhat glad to learn that this is a big enough issue to be worthy of parody, as opposed to something that gets swept under the rugs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
Taiyz wrote:
kurotsuki wrote:
You're merely lucky. The last time I went to Chapters, in fact, there were several people lying right up against the manga shelves reading it.

You'd think they'd realize how obvious it is...Don't even get me started on how young they looked compared to what series' they were actually reading. >_>

I'm somewhat glad to learn that this is a big enough issue to be worthy of parody, as opposed to something that gets swept under the rugs.

haha , maybe I don't see them because when i actually go to chapters or wherever else i buy my manga , they are in school I suppose .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9