• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 5cm per Second, Place Promised on BD, HD DVD in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaaf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
i already have 5CM LE boxset...

as much as i would love to have both films in HD, it looks like it's just barebone release with minimal extras...

i'll wait for ADV's HD release instead....

I'm in the same situation as well. Have the 5CM LE boxset and not about to shell out more money. Will probably pick up the ADV releases for the English subtitles built in.

At least my LE film strip was a good one with Akari in it Very Happy
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
So.... HD-DVD IS doing well in Japan. Everyone told me it was failing there.

As for Blu Ray and HD-DVD I could care less. I'll stick with regular DVD for now until this next gen war on the "Next" home video format subsides. I personally care about budget rather then quality could someone give an non-biased fact on the differences between HD-DVD and Blu Ray[/b][/i]
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:

It isn't doing well. One more HD DVD isn't going to change much. Amazon Japan currently lists 48 animated Blu-ray Disc releases. The same site lists 9 animated HD DVD releases, and 4 of them are American (Shrek 3, A Scanner Darkly, Happy Feet, and Corpse Bride).

Quote:
As for Blu Ray and HD-DVD I could care less. I'll stick with regular DVD for now until this next gen war on the "Next" home video format subsides. I personally care about budget rather then quality could someone give an non-biased fact on the differences between HD-DVD and Blu Ray[/b][/i]

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=522985#522985
http://www.hddvd.org/

It's pretty much like DVD-R versus DVD+R or DVDA versus SACD--the differences between the two formats are minor compared to the short-term annoyance of consumers who just wants everything to settle down (DVD-R/DVD+R) or else, ignore it all (DVDA/SACD).
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Mmm, been looking at things really really closely now to see the quality, and believe it or not HD blows aways BD in image quality. They are SUPPOSED to be the same, but for whatever reason BD is not as sharp nor as clear as the images coming from the HD discs.

You may be right about the current Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD titles that you've compared. You may even be right about all the Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD titles in existence.

But like you said, they are supposed to be the same. The only difference is that Blu-Ray discs can hold a little bit more data than HD-DVD discs. The video codecs and encoders that both formats can use are the same. So, it's just by chance that the early HD-DVDs that you've seen look better to you than the early Blu-Ray titles. It doesn't really mean anything about quality because theoretically they are exactly the same, maybe with Blu-Ray having a slight edge only due to having more disk space.

I agree with most of what testorschoice just said. It's stupid that we even have a format war here. There is so little technical difference between the two formats that the unwillingness to agree here looks more like stupidity of the human race, rather than a legitimate disagreement over the benefits and drawbacks of two significantly differing technologies.

The DVD-Audio vs SACD comparison he made is not a good one, though. DVD-Audio and SACD are two hugely different technologies and encoding formats. They're not even remotely the same. He probably just didn't know that though. Neither is compressed in a lossy way, but the way in which the digital data is stored is fundamentally different in SACD than what we've been used to over the years. There's no "sampling rate" so-to-speak.

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Sadly enough shows like Bebop and Wolf's Rain fall in this era.

I'm not disagreeing with your post in general but I just wanted to point out that Cowboy Bebop is cel-based anime, not digital.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
The DVD-Audio vs SACD comparison he made is not a good one, though. DVD-Audio and SACD are two hugely different technologies and encoding formats. They're not even remotely the same. He probably just didn't know that though. Neither is compressed in a lossy way, but the way in which the digital data is stored is fundamentally different in SACD than what we've been used to over the years. There's no "sampling rate" so-to-speak.

Yep, there are distinct technical differences, but the point is that the technical differences are moot compared to the near complete consumer indifference to either. That's the risk with the Blu-ray Disc/HD DVD conflict--the longer it lasts, the more likely that consumers will bypass them both.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I agree that consumer indifference is a factor but I don't agree that DVD-Audio vs SACD is on the same level as Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD. The differences may be minor to most people out there, but they certainly aren't minor to me, or the people who are promoting the different technologies. I think the DVD-Audio vs SACD format war is justified. But the result of thinking like mine might be the reason why neither format has really caught on hugely yet. It's just what you said, lol.

Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD is just an idiotic debate though. Even the people who are promoting the different technologies must know that there's no real difference between what they want. Just find some way to agree, sheesh. This format war looks petty more than anything else. It's just a battle over rights and profits, rather than different technologies or preferences.
omoikane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Since you can get this on both formats I don't see why people are complaining which is better or worse...

5cm/s is HD through and through. The original trailer was in 720 when it got announced way back when.

Not sure about Place Promised however.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Cowboy Bebop is cel-based anime, not digital.

I didn't know that this show was actually shot on 16mm since it was made during the dawn of computer assisted anime. I assumed that it was scanned and colored by computer since the video transfers have no film problems and looks fantastic compared to most series released in the late 90s. This is indeed good news.

testorschoice wrote:
Yep, there are distinct technical differences, but the point is that the technical differences are moot compared to the near complete consumer indifference to either. That's the risk with the Blu-ray Disc/HD DVD conflict--the longer it lasts, the more likely that consumers will bypass them both.

This is so true and I feel a bit guilty for not taking a stance (I love both formats) with the currently Blu-ray format since prolonging the format war is hurting the industry. Best Buy is going to actively promote Blu-ray over HD-DVD and Netflix is also going to drop HD-DVD and go Blu-ray exclusive. Anyone saying HD-DVD is doing better than Blu-ray is getting some weird data.

Quote:

HD-DVD is still selling much better in the US than in Japan and Korea where it has been pounded. The highest selling HD-DVD usually doesn't break the top 1000 DVD (Bourne movies are at #780, #810 followed by Land of the Dead at #1400) rankings list on amazon.co.jp.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2