• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ICv2: North American Anime DVDs Were Down 20%+ in 2007

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote
So 20% drop in releases seems to mean a 20% drop in sales?
You can't sell what you don't have to sell
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
BenBrown

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:

I don't think that is what the article is getting at. The two figures (while somewhat related) wouldn't evenly correlate. Unless every series sells evenly, and we know that isn't true at all.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Ow! What the hey...? *Rubs head*
Was that an acorn? Confused
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I have no choice but to bring Geneon into this debate. Was the reduction in sales solely the result of Geneon's demise, or are there another factors as well?

The number of releases is decreasing slowly, but sales are falling sharply. Strange, that. Are companies pouring money down a drain by still releasing a lot of fringe titles that do poorly? The rate of decrease might suggest that. Or perhaps Geneon released quite a few titles, then never stayed to collect the money. Or something.

On another note, $500 million is a lot of money. That was no doubt when Dragonball Z was still popular, and the figure isn't all that high when I carefully think about it. But still, I never would have guessed a nine-figure amount. Shows how little I know about the economics behind the R1 Anime industry.

Last edited by dtm42 on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jabberwock

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
BenBrown wrote:
rankothefiremage wrote:

I don't think that is what the article is getting at. The two figures (while somewhat related) wouldn't evenly correlate. Unless every series sells evenly, and we know that isn't true at all.

Not to mention it isn't like the anime fanbase is stagnant. It's sill growing from year to year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Well... Hundreds of millions of dollars IS a lot of money. And the sales of anime DVDs are only down 20%. Not exactly good news, but not exactly "sky is falling news."

All this "the money is there" talk about how manga is beating out anime... You'd think anime sales would've gone upward if, say...

Cool _=

Those circus clowns back in Japan work on actual content, add spine to their men, and stop copying off of everyone else.

I took a look at ICv2's "most popular anime/manga" list. Not my cup of tea. But notes should be taken by those who care about the future.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Jabberwock wrote:
BenBrown wrote:
rankothefiremage wrote:

Not to mention it isn't like the anime fanbase is stagnant. It's sill growing from year to year.

Yet as fans grow older some of the retire as hardcore fans as other things start to require their time like families.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:38 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
Jabberwock wrote:
BenBrown wrote:
rankothefiremage wrote:

Yet as fans grow older some of the retire as hardcore fans as other things start to require their time like families.

Aren't con attendance numbers increasing, though? The people who attend cons are probably in the 'hardcore' category, and even if they need to spend less time on anime to worry about other things...if they're attending a con, they must still have a fair amount of time left to spend on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sango_Lover

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I went to Anime-Expo and let me tell you a lot of those people may be hardcore fans, but they're the type who mainly rely on fansubs or downloads to feed their anime addiction. I was actually pretty surprised by the number of people who don't really purchase DVDs. You think uber-fans would want to keep anime alive by supporting the US companies that distribute them Rolling Eyes
Ariolander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I still say we need to step away from the single DVD sales and move straight to box sets like the American TV industry does it because frankly I am not buying individual DVDs anymore when I know I can save 20% by waiting for a box and another 20% waiting for thinpack another year after that. Eventually in that wait I drop series off my waiting list to put more recent titles.

Though if we went straight tot he box sets or mini half-boxes for longer series I know I would be less hesitant because I know I like my special features that thinpacks lack.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

Quote:

Aren't con attendance numbers increasing, though? The people who attend cons are probably in the 'hardcore' category, and even if they need to spend less time on anime to worry about other things...if they're attending a con, they must still have a fair amount of time left to spend on it.

I've been buying anime for a little less then 20 years now, and while I'm certainly no expert on anime conventions I do live in a suburb outside of Baltimore and have stopped by 'Otakon' for a good stretch. If 'Otakon' is any indication, there is a large 'social' fanbase for anime, but that's not the same as a steady 'DVD purchasing fanbase' that the article is focusing on. With fansubs being so ubiquitous, you can have a large/increasing fanbase that stays in touch with the material, while never having to purchase a DVD.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quote
(Off topic)Our Suncoast stores here in Vegas,are just now closing down.I would buy a lot of anime from there.The familiars are disappearing.
Sticks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Sango_Lover wrote:
I went to Anime-Expo and let me tell you a lot of those people may be hardcore fans, but they're the type who mainly rely on fansubs or downloads to feed their anime addiction. I was actually pretty surprised by the number of people who don't really purchase DVDs. You think uber-fans would want to keep anime alive by supporting the US companies that distribute them Rolling Eyes

I totally agree, with what may have happened with Geneon for example. Without any real profit that can be made here in the US, some production companies in Japan may not want to send anime our way. There's still plenty of anime there that we haven't see yet and more yet to come. Bottom line, with no profit both here and there, some companies could stop making anime all together if people keep getting all of it for free. Us paying for it just secures the market and we see more anime over time. Wink
cloud1989

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
suncoast stores have been closing down regularly, I lost all mine in my state awhile ago, I actually started going to a nearby fye and was told they bought them out, surely it seems like it because when suncoast was there fye only had 1 small section of anime and now they have about 8 and are currently beating my best buy in supply, to bad they can't do the same with their prices. Anyways I don't think lack of anime dvd sales hurt suncoast since it only made up a portion of their shop and anyone with any sense has know for a long time to stay away from suncoast as often as possible.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote
There are other factors to consider in bringing the sales numbers down. The push towards more episodes per DVD means fewer volumes are being made for each series. Where before it wasn't uncommon to have eight volumes per series we're now averaging six volumes on several 26 (or so) episode titles. Then there's the bulk discount that's being given to b&m stores like Best Buy and net stores like Deep Discount. It's good for us consumers, but doesn't look good in numbers.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4