• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does Noir have to do with Madlax, and which did you prefer?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thanatos01s2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote
Just a quick and simple question, I have watched the first two volumes of MADLAX, and I think it is pretty good. Obviously there are a lot of unanswered questions at this point in the anime, but I was just curious if NOIR covered that back history or if MADLAX is a completely seperate anime.

Last edited by Thanatos01s2 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
kakitamike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:00 pm Reply with quote
They're completely separate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Thanatos01s2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Cool, that is what I was hoping, I assume the artwork is the only thing these two have in common? Or are there characters in MADLAX that were also in NOIR?
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
They're both completely separate in every sense. Except that Noir and Madlax are a part of a trio of "girls with guns" series (along with El Cazador). They all share the same creator: Koichi Mashimo.

But you're not wrong to think that the stories are related, as there are many similarities between the two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thanatos01s2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I guess I should have said in my original post that I have never seen nor do I know very much about NOIR. I appreciate the answers, thanks guys.
Zirdante

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget they all share the same Composer, so you will find similarities in the songs as well. spoiler[Not a bad thing at all, to say the least.]
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Except for the intro and ending songs to Noir which were composed by different people.
iggentleman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Same studio, same director, same producer, same character designers.
They look and feel a lot alike, but there are no cross over characters.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I guess technically Noir and Madlax share many of the character designers but in this case the credited names are just those of some of the more important animation directors working at Bee Train.

The look of the two shows is similar in some ways due to the same studio and "character designers" as you said. But the drawing style is quite different between Noir and Madlax. Mainly because Yoshiyuki Sadamoto joined Bee Train for a period in between to help them make Hack//Sign. After which Bee Train absorbed his drawing style into their own somewhat, so many post-HackSign Bee Train shows have Yoshiyuki Sadamoto character design/drawing style influence.
Zewerr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
I totally forget where I heard this. I never caught it, but I heard that Mireille and Kirika made a very brief cameo appearance in the background of Madlax, but I never caught it while I was watching it. Anyone know if it's true?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Porcupine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:19 am Reply with quote
It's not true. I'm 99.5% certain. No one even remotely resembling Kirika or Mireille ever appears in Madlax. Of course I could be wrong, but I've probably re-watched Madlax more than anyone on this forum. I currently consider it to be the 6th best anime of all-time that I've seen. I tend to re-watch shows I really like many times. I've never watched it dubbed once though, even though I watched it subbed probably 20 times, because I usually hate ADVision dubbing. Maybe that would be a good excuse to watch again, hmm.

I never watched Noir dubbed either. Well I did a little bit and didn't like it so I stopped and changed back to Japanese.
Thanatos01s2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
They're both completely separate in every sense. Except that Noir and Madlax are a part of a trio of "girls with guns" series (along with El Cazador). They all share the same creator: Koichi Mashimo.

But you're not wrong to think that the stories are related, as there are many similarities between the two.

I had no idea there were three "similar" animes like this. What is the general consensus on the "best of them? Which do you all prefer?

I just got done watching disc 4 of MADLAX and I must admit I am hooked it is a VERY good series, I am glad I bought it.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I'd rate Noir the highest personally because I believe it has the best story and the best action scenes in terms of cleverness and inovation. Madlax is also excellent and is more of an action series in terms of quantity of action. The story is also surprisingly good. El Cazador de la Bruja, however, is a far more boring derivitive of the two only really watchable for the two main characters interaction and the music. I had a lot of trouble motivating myself to finish it and ultimately was fairly disappointed with it.
motherboyxx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Personally I much prefered Noir over Madlax, it is deeper (I feel) and darker. I had a huge problem with the Dub of Madlax and since that's all i watch thats all i am speaking of. Both seris are acceptable, however i felt Noir was good enough for me to buy...not Madlax. On a side note both series really annoyed me how most of the killing is done with hand guns at long ranges, for series that spend most of the time in a serious overtone it became hard for me to get past.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote
Although I liked Madlax as a character, did generally like the series, and thought it finished strong, Noir is the better series. It starts much stronger, paces itself better, makes more sense, and more consistently and effectively establishes its mood for most of the series. Madlax does catch up in its final half-dozen or so episodes, but it took too long getting there. It's also hurt in the comparison by not escaping the shadow of Noir until its final few episodes and not having the byplay between its main characters from the very beginning.

Regardless of which you like better, though, the two series are similar enough that anyone who likes one of them will almost certainly like the other.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5