• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa Cans Japanese Haruhi Suzumiya Dōjin Game

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:48 pm Reply with quote
sooo....anyone know if a torrent is out there of this game?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:

Asking for illegal downloads here is forbidden.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't there another adult-sim game that had Haruhi characters in it too? Anyways, would they have had to have permission to further distribute their game or was what they were doing just copyright infringement from the beginning? Which would make a doomed project to start with.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Wasn't there another adult-sim game that had Haruhi characters in it too?

Those were lookalikes with different names.

fighterholic wrote:
Anyways, would they have had to have permission to further distribute their game or was what they were doing just copyright infringement from the beginning? Which would make a doomed project to start with.

Ever heard of "one day copyright deregulation" applied on Comiket and similar events? In fact, if Kadokawa has enough time they can sue *you* for unauthorized use of Lucky Star characters as your avatar. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Whaaaat?! They're cracking down on doujin games? o_O Insanity. Are actual doujinshi and fanart and fanfiction next? Sheeesh.

Seriously though, some of the doujin games are pretty impressive for being made by amateurs. Feels like a shame; wonder if there's some way the companies can actually license it.
QBasic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:

Zaaaaaaccc, to the rescueeeeeee!

Zac: "D-d-d-denied!"
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Ever heard of "one day copyright deregulation" applied on Comiket and similar events? In fact, if Kadokawa has enough time they can sue *you* for unauthorized use of Lucky Star characters as your avatar. Cool

That's a scary thought, guess I should be glad I'm over here Cool
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
QBasic wrote:
Zac wrote:
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:

Zaaaaaaccc, to the rescueeeeeee!

Zac: "D-d-d-denied!"
Should of had another five or so Ds in there, then we could of made a yugioh joke. ;p

Hum, The question is, was the game as good as Higurashi Daybreak? because that's my yardstick in these sort of matters.
mufurc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Whaaaat?! They're cracking down on doujin games? o_O Insanity. Are actual doujinshi and fanart and fanfiction next? Sheeesh.

Oh, come on, no need to panic. They're not gonna hurt anyone who doesn't actually make money off of his/her fanwork and/or seriously hurts the copyright holder's image or income. Games, especially for big shows like Haruhi, are dangerous territory. As for doujinshika, well, they may not make much money, but people over there tell me that larger doujinshi conventions are also becoming a bit iffy, simply because overall there's too much money and publicity involved over something that's essentially illegal. But fanfic and fanart is pretty much harmless as long as no-one tries to make a lot of money by selling it.

(By the way, does anyone know what happened to the bill that wanted to allow the police to decide on its own in case of copyright breach? People were very afraid of it, with good reason.)
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote
While I couldn't care less about some game being banned I do hope they leave doujin out of it if they do decide to clamp down...but then again most of the doujin I buy are of Futa and as there are few futa of anime series in comparison to the volume of non-anime related it's not a real problem even if they do.

This though...this...looks like it could actually be what people are wanting, or at least a first step towards it. Does anyone know more about this service or just speculation and conjecture?

Quote:
Kadokawa has been one of the Japanese companies that has requested Google's YouTube video-sharing service to take down unauthorized videos of its material, although it has since said it will open a YouTube channel with its drama series, anime, and other content.
QBasic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
While I couldn't care less about some game being banned I do hope they leave doujin out of it if they do decide to clamp down...but then again most of the doujin I buy are of Futa and as there are few futa of anime series in comparison to the volume of non-anime related it's not a real problem even if they do.

This though...this...looks like it could actually be what people are wanting, or at least a first step towards it. Does anyone know more about this service or just speculation and conjecture?

Quote:
Kadokawa has been one of the Japanese companies that has requested Google's YouTube video-sharing service to take down unauthorized videos of its material, although it has since said it will open a YouTube channel with its drama series, anime, and other content.

Do we care? I mean, are we caring? As long as I get a good game out of my money's worth, I couldn't give a rat ass's who sued who's ass for stealing whoever's ass.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
QBasic wrote:
hentai4me wrote:

Quote:

Do we care? I mean, are we caring? As long as I get a good game out of my money's worth, I couldn't give a rat ass's who sued who's ass for stealing whoever's ass.

Can I ask why I was quoted? What does my post have to do with that?
QBasic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
QBasic wrote:
hentai4me wrote:

Quote:

Can I ask why I was quoted? What does my post have to do with that?

I was using your quote to make a point.

I'm not trying to make you or the readers happy. I'm trying to make me happy. Smile *stares at pretty post*
NervClaX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I just think it's great that anime is still inspiring people to create such impressive works with little more than adoration for the medium. Of course, I could be wrong and maybe the dojin circle WAS making some serious loot off of this game.

The box art makes it look as if it can be played on a PS2. Is that the case? If so, why aren't more people creating their own PS2 style games here?

I think this story also highlights the differences between East and West. Do you think Marvel or DC would let people sell a dojin featuring THEIR characters, even if the artist was losing money on printing? I could see it now... Logan X Scott Summers.
n00dle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
Someone similar to, but legally distinct from, me, may possibly have downloaded this game, and might have it some where on their hard drive. Theoretically. Maybe.

*cough*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2