• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner, Leonardo DiCaprio to Produce Live-Action Akira

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't know that he had an interest in anime. Or perhaps I had forgotten. Two movies coming out is something, I take it then we're not seeing a remake of the anime.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they won't butcher the story like they're doing with the DBZ movie. But other than that, I'll be excited to see this in theaters when it comes out. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quote
The very first thing that came to my mind was:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Then I thought about it for a few minutes and came up with:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY????????????
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

So yeah... not that excited with this :S, since I'm thinking it may end up something like this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gjcA69pJREo
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Hopefully they won't butcher the story like they're doing with the DBZ movie. But other than that, I'll be excited to see this in theaters when it comes out. Very Happy

Well, the fact that its taking place in "New Manhattan" leads me to believe that the movie will take place in America. But, that doesn't mean the movie might not be good.

The good news is that they're taking two movies to adapt the manga. At least it won't be rushed and truncated like the animated movie was.

What I'm wondering is if Warner Bros. will try to get the rights to the animated movie now that Geneon is gone. They could re-release it on DVD and Blu-ray with special features and might even re-dub it again(using maybe Hollywood talent and established American animation VA's).

Man, WB has been on a anime to live-action binge lately. First it was Speed Racer, then Robotech, and now Akira.

Last edited by SSJ Gohan 64 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
minakichan

Whaaaaaaat? Wow, random.

Wonder what they'll rename Akira; it's not exactly a normal name to New Manhattan.

Seriously, all these rumors of Hollywood remakes of manga, and the only thing that's actually come to fruition is Speed Racer. Where's Monster?!
Vortextk

I was never a big Akira fan, but "New Manhattan"? I guess you can't produce a movie in America, set it in Japan, and have everyone BE american and speak english. I hope they don't get liberal with it. If a few of these live action films do well in the coming years and stick to the material as they do it, it can only be good for fans. I know I'd want to hear stuff like this and not worry about cringing.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
New Manhattan means they're going to use some 9/11 metaphors, which is as awful as Disney turning the Yamato into the U.S.S. Arizona in the Starblazers movie. Hell, can you even call it Akira anymore, or are they just gonna change the premise, so that it's an evil Asian kid[most likely Korean, not Japanese] threatening the surviving white yuppies from Cloverfield? Rolling Eyes Anyway, I doubt they're gonna make that 2009 deadline, since the studio has been name-dropping the project for well over a decade. After all, look how long it took to get Watchmen off the ground.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I was shocked when I read this. I myself didn't particularly like the original film, but I may be interesting in seeing these films, especially since there will be two of them. I'm worried about it being a directorial debut and also the change in setting, but that doesn't mean that it can't be good. We'll have to just wait and see. I do agree with minakichan though. The status of the Monster films is something I'd very much like to know. The Battle Angel film apparently keeps getting pushed back as well. Last I heard was 2011. (Source: Anime: Drawing a Revolution)

EDIT: Fixed some grammar

Last edited by Jedi General on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, Leo and Akira. Not two things I would ever imagine mixing well. But maybe if the blender was on high enough speed. Let's just hope the result isn't a lumpy smoothie. Shocked

(wow, not sure what was coming over me when I typed that. Question )
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and WB, please don't make Leo the star. No one likes him. Thanks.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Yes clearly nobody likes him this is a totally factual statement to make
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I wont believe it until they actually start production.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little torn here. I love Akira and have been waiting for an announcement about the live action adaption. That said, I hate it when Hollywood takes liberties with the original story (New Manhatten? C'mon). I also don't particularly care for Leonardo Decaprio. However I won't judge the film until I see it. I was never a big Josh Hartnet fan either, but I loved 30 Days of Night.

Last edited by Berserkfury819 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Afax

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

What? He's a fantastic actor...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13