• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shin (or True) Tenchi Muyo

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:50 am Reply with quote
These three volume novels, written by the creator Masaki Kajishima, I would so like to see them translated, anyone know if such a thing is happening somewhere? these are to the Tenchi OVA like the Bible is to Christainity, a must read to fully understand the story and history of the OVA universe.
Ryuka32

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
These three volume novels, written by the creator Masaki Kajishima, I would so like to see them translated, anyone know if such a thing is happening somewhere? these are to the Tenchi OVA like the Bible is to Christainity, a must read to fully understand the story and history of the OVA universe.

Surprised I cannot believe that so many people have not been able to get their hands on these translations of the novels. I went to this website while I was searching for the translations online. I found the translation of the third Volume at Fanfiction.net Rolling Eyes I couldn't exactly get the right URL to find it originally. I want to hurry and get my hands on the first and second one to though. Very Happy
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
These three volume novels, written by the creator Masaki Kajishima, I would so like to see them translated, anyone know if such a thing is happening somewhere?

Yeah, I'd love to see the Shin (True) Tenchi novels translated into English too! I want to be able to hold it in my hand and take it off the bookshelf whenever I feel like studying some part of the Tenchi mythos (probably while watching the OAVs and/or GXP). Plus, I want to be able to look at Masaki Kajishima's artwork.

As for whether or not they will ever be translated...well, some Tenchi fans feel that Seven Seas Entertainment would do a very good job of translating them and have even sent emails and written in threads about requesting that they translate and publish them. I think that if they are ever to be published, it will be up to the Tenchi fans to show their support for having the books translated. In my mind, the only other publisher that I would see publishing the novels would be Viz since they published the Tenchi manga and have started publishing some Japanese novels (such as Be With You). Perhaps if Funimation were to purchase the liscensing rights for the first two OAVs in order to ensure that people will continue to buy the third OAV by allowing them access to all of the OAVs, there could be some sort of cross-promotion where new releases of the original two OAVs could bolster the sales of translated versions of the True Tenchi novels. Or, that could just be a far-fetched wish of mine. Smile

I think that you might find this site illuminating:

http://www.astronerdboy.com/tenchi/

It is an absolutely indispensible site for Tenchi fans! It's where I learned of Tenchi fans' interest in Seven Seas Entertainment as a possible publisher of the True Tenchi Novels. In the index on the left, if you choose the second option, which I believe is "Tenchi Muyo! Canon FAQ," or something like that, you can find a section that is entirely dedicated to info about the Shin (True) Tenchi novels. There are even links to translated exerpts of the novels and pictures of the beautiful covers (My favorite being the one of Ryoko in what I assume to be spoiler[the future when she has full control of her gems and can create some sort of lighthawk wing-type things]). The novels are dedicated to Jurai, Yosho, and Washu, I believe.

Check out the rest of the site too, though! It really is a wonderful Tenchi treasure trove. It has news on the front page (so if there are any announcements about the novels being translated, you can be sure that they will be on there, along with any announcements about Saint Knight Tale, the story about Tenchi's half brother). Under "Other Canon FAQ" or something like that, you can also see Kajishima's artwork of spoiler[Washu with baby Ryoko and Ryo-Ohki, Ryoko's daughter, Ryo-Ohki's daughter, and Tenchi's son] (notice how Kajishima hasn't said who both parents are in these cases). And there is a lot of information about his doujinshi, which is quite valuable in expanding knowledge of the universe Kajishima has created. One of the more difficult things about being a Tenchi fan outside of Japan, I think, is not having access to a lot of information that comes from the doujinshi and novels, so I find the site that is maintained by AstroNerdBoy to be a very important resource for Tenchi fans who can't read Japanese, etc.

I really hope that someday I'll see a news announcement about these novels being translated into English, especially since I never thought Ah My Goddess! would be turned into a TV series and I never thought Tokyopop would liscense an earlier Natsuki Takaya manga series, but both have happened, so, for all I know, True Tenchi novels translated into English could happen too!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1