• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: YouTube Hosts Gonzo News Show, Kadokawa Episodes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote
I'm happy to hear Kanako Sakai again.

Although, I didn't know there was a japanese youtube. Or is that just a change of language settings?

If its a japanese youtube, then well. They see how raws get up. If its just a language change, then how many people will actually be able to watch this show and understand it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:31 am Reply with quote
There is no "Japanese" youtube. Basically the interface language switches based on a geographic reverse ip lookup, although you can override it with settings if you'd like, or change it on the fly with the button on the upper right hand corner. jp.youtube.com also goes straight to the nihongo version.

I didn't realize that they were selling rental downloads of all 24 eps of FMP for only 1600 yen, that's a great deal... of course now that I read the fine print (and in japanese that's no easy task) it seems I have to buy blocks of "points" in units of 2100 or more... Those systems piss me off. And this isn't available outside Japan, by the way, nor does it have subs. But the link is right off the video, so that's good advertisement.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:53 am Reply with quote
For a sec, I thought the person who directed FMA was the one who directed ID4, thanks to that ad. Laughing Anyway, I'm surprised at least two companies are tapping into the service, considering it's probably killing off their revenue. [Though I imagine those Haruhi fan videos[not referring to AMVs...] have actually been good for Kadokawa...] Maybe the Japanese government finally stepped in to bail them out...?
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Sounds good to me! Now if Gonzo would only keep posting videos of their shows their and allow subtitles to be added to them, then they wont have to complain about fansubs of their stuff anymore, because they would be the ones in control.
Lemwon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Sounds good to me! Now if Gonzo would only keep posting videos of their shows their and allow subtitles to be added to them, then they wont have to complain about fansubs of their stuff anymore, because they would be the ones in control.

The sad thing is, most people who view anime on youtube won't care weather they watch the "official" translations, or the fansubs. And just because one company puts a few "official" episodes on youtube, that doesn't mean fansubs won't stop appearing on youtube as well.
BluMeino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
If they upload a full 22-25 minute episode in 1 video with subs, people will totally watch. If not, people will be fine watching fansubs split into 3 vids. Other than that, lol at watching anime on youtube. l2torrent
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:10 pm Reply with quote
You'd think their videos would actually be of good quality, even if it is YouTube...
zaeris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
Since anime in Japan are run in the late hours it's not a bad idea to have shows on YouTube. Think of it as an alternative, since they're doing this out of good will it doesn't hurt anybody.

I like how kokuryu phrased it. The ideal that the studio itself can remove material after xx amount of day and keeping control of their advertisement is rather interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1