• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Marvel's Stan Lee, Shaman King's Takei to Join Forces

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor Genius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
This strikes me as a highly unlikely partnership. Quite frankly, I think the inclusion of Stan Lee is more a brand name or PR stunt than a legitimate creative force. Anyone remember those awful direct-to-video animated films The Condor and the Mosaic? I'm not saying Stan Lee has no talent mind you (though the early Spider-Man was extremely campy), but his better days have certainly passed him by. I think the real creative drive behind most of Marvel's iconic characters came from Jack Kirby.

I'm still interested in how this develops though.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote
It seems like an awesone collab. I can't wait to see what they put together.
Angsty teenage superhero ghosts & spirt collectors ftw?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tolone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Shojo xmen?

wait what
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Cartoonists Dave Roman and Raina Telegeimier [who to add to adorability, are both X-men geeks, married, and share the same B-Day] are writing an X-men manga for Del Rey, which'll be drawn by an artist named Anzu [whose art is quite nice.... she just finished GN for Del Rey called The Reformed]. It was announced a few months ago, hoopla ensued, but basically, talented people are involved in a project some fans might have an interest in. Which is always a good thing.

[and hey, X-men's original slogan was "The Strangest Teens of All", and that's pretty much a manga staple there]

Anyhoo, this is a mad enough collaboration that whatever results from it, I want to see it. Stan Lee's had his ups and downs since leaving his position as Marvel's figurehead, but he's still pretty productive in his old age- it'd be like if a current hot US artist and a classic 60's manga artist teamed up. Of course it's entirely commercial, as it's in Shonen Jump, but what the hey, it's a FUN kind of commercial project [as it's in SJ Razz]

I can't wait to see what results from it.

Last edited by Paploo on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
...Huh?

I mean, I'm interested in it because of Takei-san, but....This just seems like a really unlikely thing to happen. Takei isn't even all that well known; you'd think Stan Lee would be teaming with with Kishimoto or someone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
...Huh?

I mean, I'm interested in it because of Takei-san, but....This just seems like a really unlikely thing to happen. Takei isn't even all that well known; you'd think Stan Lee would be teaming with with Kishimoto or someone.

I dunno, he did produce a mega popular Shonen Jump series and animated series that's been imported worldwide. Not quite as popular as Naruto, but that guy's busy drawing, well, Naruto. So it kind of makes sense that if Stan Lee were to team up with Shonen Jump on a project they'd use a popular artist whose available.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I guess even Japanese publishers realize they need to think outside of the box in order to revive their declining manga industry....
mangajunky
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Raina Telgemeier and Dave Roman totally kick butt.
I look forward to seeing what they'll do with the characters.
I highly recommend checking out their other stuff too.

As far As Stan Lee's new stuff - eh, whatever. He's a living legend but nothing he's done recently has rocked my world.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Whatever happened to that Koike Wolverine, anyway? As for a Stan Lee manga-ka collaboration, I think Toriyama would make more sense to me.
Lord Dolmus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
What's the point? Now I get to see Peter Parker with huge eyes and sweat drops? Oh wait, let me guess, a Mary Jane rape saga? It's so stupid.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dolmus wrote:
What's the point? Now I get to see Peter Parker with huge eyes and sweat drops? Oh wait, let me guess, a Mary Jane rape saga? It's so stupid.

The article didn't say anything about the project having anything to do with previous works by Stan Lee; it sounds like an entirely new thing.

@Paploo: I guess SK had the limelight for a while (before I got into it), but since then it's pretty much dropped off the face of the earth, except for the people who are still keeping up with the manga releases. I'm just saying that you would expect a 'legend' of American comics to collaborate with a manga-ka whose works are just as legendary. (Although now that I think about it, Takei has cited American comics among his influences before - maybe that has something to do with it.)

Or maybe the recent announcement of an actual conclusion to SK has renewed interest in Takei's work? I don't keep up with scanlation groups anymore, so I wouldn't know Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Whatever happened to that Koike Wolverine, anyway? As for a Stan Lee manga-ka collaboration, I think Toriyama would make more sense to me.

I think it was published in an issue of X-men Unlimited a few years ago.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dolmus wrote:

1- There's a new Spiderman manga being published in Japan anyways, which gueststarred Blade. Then there's the SpiderClan Spiderman miniseries.

2-Sadly, that one's really close to current Marvel/DC plotlines anyways. [Identity Crisis=CRAPPY for this reason]

This doesn't look to involve Marvel at all- Stan left his position at Marvel about 10 years ago now. It'll probably be an original creation, like his DTV animated movies of recent.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:

Or maybe the recent announcement of an actual conclusion to SK has renewed interest in Takei's work?

It's been announced at assorted newssites like ComiPress, as well as in the pages of Shonen Jump Japan. It hasn't actually debuted yet- it'll be included in a deluxe re-release of Shaman King in Japan. I'm guessing we'll see it included in VIZ's eventual version of the finale volume.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
Although now that I think about it, Takei has cited American comics among his influences before - maybe that has something to do with it.

I think that's the most likely case. If he were just trying to team up with someone who's both legendary and isn't working on anything right now, like GATSU said it'd make more sense to me to team up with someone like Akira Toriyama.

Whatever the case though, this is a reminder to me that I still need to check out SK eventually! Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3