• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: First Live-Action Death Note's English Trailer Posted

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T0FFe3m@n

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
lol, I wasn't so hot on that dubbing, but it could have been worse I guess.
detective392

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
That's stupid there is no english version my mom watches the anime but she dosent watch sub movies or shows and if they can dub the trailer they can dub the movie and give us both versions just like they do for anime.
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Why bother to dub the trailer, anyway?

But yay. I'll be glad to finally pick this up.
Heretic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed both movies. I will be picking this up when it is released.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote
That narrator is totally wrong. He sounds like Phil Hartman, when we should be getting Rob Zombie. Good to know they were able to get the Chili Peppers song without having to take a loan, though. Rolling Eyes But no, I won't pay to see an English-only version in theaters, Viz, especially considering it's gonna be limited, anyway.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:23 pm Reply with quote
At least the trailer seems to suggest they would use the Vancouver Ocean Studios dub and not some hack Hollywood cast who aren't real voice actors (majority aren't). BTW, look at the Miyazaki dubs to see what I mean about famous celebrities doing the dubs when real voice actors could probably do better.
hurricanefransee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
YES! i cant wait for it to go out now its great that they got the voice actors from the anime in the movie. this is the movie that got me hooked on the death note anime.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this movie. I actually like the English dub cast as well and would love to see the DVD come with an English dub track. It would definitely make it more accessible to the anime fans I know who don't watch subs.
Spirit Ace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
The movie was good in Japanese, hopefully they don't cut out anything however.

Although I do like how there using the English dub anime cast as the VA's in this trailer.

Last edited by Spirit Ace on Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
ANBUx3 wrote:
Why bother to dub the trailer, anyway?

Exactly what I was thinking when I read the second half of the article. And seeing the trailer I didn't think it was that bad either, especially with Ryuk. Nice matchup. I do hope that they can get an English dub in there worthy of the appraisal of the fans. Would suck not to have one.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
The dub cast for the anime doesn't quite suit the one for the live-action movies. Not that the movies were that great, anyway, but if I buy these on DVD, you can bet I'll be switching over to the Japanese track and read subtitles instead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Not that the movies were that great, anyway, but if I buy these on DVD, you can bet I'll be switching over to the Japanese track and read subtitles instead.

How about I watch it with no subs, then what would you do? Wink
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I take it none of you are aware of how hard and different it is to dub live action compared to anime? With anime, the characters just have flapping lips that don't really form words. this is how amv creators are able to manipulate their characters to make them lip sync, but live action is a lot different. You see the lips forming much different words than being said.

On the note of why bother dubbing the trailer? Why not? You don't see that many lips moving so they were able to pull it off, and a dubbed trailer gets more viewers than a subtitled trailer.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Not that the movies were that great, anyway, but if I buy these on DVD, you can bet I'll be switching over to the Japanese track and read subtitles instead.

How about I watch it with no subs, then what would you do? Wink

You can watch it however you like. I can't understand Japanese.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that they got the Red Hot Chili Peppers song in. That was the first thing I was worrying about, adds a little special something in since I'm a fan of them. And, I really hope that they dub it. I think the voice actors would do a fantastic job at it. Come on Viz I know that you can do it! And on a side note...
Quote:
BTW, look at the Miyazaki dubs to see what I mean about famous celebrities doing the dubs when real voice actors could probably do better.
I think the english voice actors on the Miyazaki films did a fantastic job, especially the Nausicaa movie. But, I haven't seen all of the movies though so I can't be completely sure of my answer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4