• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:35 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Kakeru is spoiler[extremly protective of Machi, even if he does hand out her underwear to "strangers." But, I don't think that he fully understands the depth of her pain and her needs like Yuki does. I.E. - the new chalk box when Yuki broke one piece.]

Kakeru may not, but spoiler[he seems to sense that Yuki would understand her pain. Without Kakeru's basically forcing Yuki to visit Machi's place, she may have never found someone who believe her side of the story regarding that incident with her younger brother. Kakeru seems to sense the attraction between Yuki and Machi before they're even aware of it, and he's always doing something to try and bring them together. And, I think Kakeru sees Machi getting better because of it.]

fighterholic wrote:
I'm going to try and see about how I can get the manga, but it is just so expensive if I get it over here. So, I'll try and see about getting the manga when I go to Japan, since I know that it will be way cheaper. But the DVD, yeah. I just HAD to order it

Yeah, I meant the DVD, since I think we both preordered it the day a release date was announced. Very Happy

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:02 am Reply with quote
It's funny, because Kakeru was helping out two people at one time. He spoiler[seemed to really be the caretaker of Machi, since she lives by herself and all that. It's funny because more in the beginning they were more serious in the way they were talking to each other (although it was Kakeru doing all the talking), but then Kakeru started getting to his point where he was teasing her with Yuki around] Laughing
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quote
OK, time for our next pairing.

This week is all about Tohru and Kisa. (Richard J., as a self-proclaimed Kisa fan, I expect some good comments from you. Wink )

For me, the best way to describe their relationship is spoiler["understanding." Tohru understands where Kisa has been, in terms of the teasing at school. Kisa, in turn, needs someone who understands her and can help her through that difficult time. Tohru has a lot of wisdom from her mother, but this is one of the few times she draws on her own experience to help someone. From their first meeting, I think Tohru loved Kisa. And Kisa responded to that love and understanding to face her problems.]

I look forward to your thoughts.

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote
I'd also like to say to everybody that there hasn't seemed to have been a lot of activity in the past couple of weeks in this thread. Murph will come in and introduce a pair, we talk about it through the weekend and then by Monday morning the thread stays dormant until Friday. I do my best to post, but it seems my posts end up being last until Murph comes in again. All of my Fruits Basket brethren, please don't be afraid to post, the series isn't over yet over here, and surely there's going to be a lot to talk about when the last of the volumes will come out. Please people, GANBARE!! Thanks!!

Anyways, it is an interesting relationship between Tohru and Kisa. They're spoiler[always in love when they see each other, and the mood seems to sink in with the other people that they really can't do much (the criticism isn't without its humor though). Kisa though really becomes attached to Tohru, because after a while Kisa can see some self conflict within Tohru. Like the time when she got upset at Hiro at the vacation home because of how he thought that Tohru wasn't affected by his question. When Kisa had seen Tohru's face and saw something wasn't right, she became upset at him, because she knew something wasn't right with Tohru.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:47 am Reply with quote
Kisa and Tohru came together at a time when Kisa need healing desperately. She needed the spoiler[absolute love and faith that Tohru provided. While the other members of the Zodiac understood at one level what Kisa was going through and sympathized with her, their sympathy somehow didn't mean much to Kisa. But Tohru's unconditional love and forgiveness did.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:11 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Kisa and Tohru came together at a time when Kisa need healing desperately. She needed the spoiler[absolute love and faith that Tohru provided. While the other members of the Zodiac understood at one level what Kisa was going through and sympathized with her, their sympathy somehow didn't mean much to Kisa. But Tohru's unconditional love and forgiveness did.]

Yes, moving in the least. spoiler[Ijime is an issue where if you don't talk about it until you break and it's too late, people just can't understand what you're going through. Tohru knew what it was like though, even if her sufferings weren't of the extreme of Kisa's. I think there was one Zodiac who wanted to do more for Kisa than he could, but just didn't have the courage to, which is why he felt beat at the time.]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Sorry! I'm one of those people who haven't been around lately. I'll try my hardest!

I really love the relationship between Kisa and Tohru. spoiler[It's almost like older sister/younger sister in some ways, but it also has a mother/daughter protector like feel to it as well. Kisa is just so sweet and adorable, so of course Tohru can't help but love her. I just smile at the parts when Kisa is first introduced and has become attached to Tohru and follows her around everywhere. Tohru loves it and just sqeezes her with hugs every time she sees Kisa. I think Kisa really needed that love and attention to help her break throught her problems when she refused to speak. ]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I think that the relationship between Kisa and Tohru also helps Kisa become stronger in her personal life. I don't think that without Tohru, Kisa would have been strong enough or brave enough to spoiler[tell Hiro that what he was doing was wrong, she didn't like his behavior and that he need to stop.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I think that the relationship between Kisa and Tohru also helps Kisa become stronger in her personal life. I don't think that without Tohru, Kisa would have been strong enough or brave enough to spoiler[tell Hiro that what he was doing was wrong, she didn't like his behavior and that he need to stop.]

Good point here. spoiler[Kisa thought that for a while Hiro didn't like her, and I think that her relationship with Tohru not only changed her perception of Hiro but the perception of all other people around her. With that she also found the courage to talk to Shigure, and even to say hello to Kyo.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quote
I agree with you both. I believe that it was Tohru who made Kisa confident in her power. However I believe that Tohru merely opened Kisa's eyes regarding spoiler[the love that many people felt about her. For instance it was Haru who was looking for her that rainy day and he seems to be like a big brother to her. And also Yuki spoke kind words to her. ] So I think that in a way, Tohru helped Kisa realise all the love that she had around her and that sometimes one just has to fight in life.

Also Kisa sees Tohru as a genuine spoiler[big sister and she loves her very much. I can't forget the scenes when she was every where after Tohru. Very Happy There is also the scene at the seaside when Hiro has also said one of his "wonders" and sadden Tohru and Kisa asks Hiro if he came only to upset Tohru. ] I was quite surprised by Kisa's power at that point so I was really proud to see her finally taking some stronger steps in her life. Of course she later spoiler[wants to apologize to Hiro because she has a kind heart but nonetheless, she is to be admired for her determination.]
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
This week is all about Tohru and Kisa. (Richard J., as a self-proclaimed Kisa fan, I expect some good comments from you. Wink )
I'll try my best Captain! (Oh, and I apologize for not being around too much. I always seem to come in kind of late on this thread and sometimes I still feel shy about voicing my opinion. Hard to believe right?)

Anyway, I think Kisa and Tohru's bond has gone far beyond friendship. There is a real love there. Considering that spoiler[before his death, Tohru's father had brought up the idea of he and Kyoko having another child,] it makes me wonder if even as a small child, Tohru picked up on that. The way she treats Kisa is a combination of understanding big sister and mother. (Of course, Tohru projects that mother vibe on everyone except the older characters and spoiler[Kyo for obvious reasons.])

I think things go very much the same way with Kisa. She's alone in the world to a degree, not because she's a part of the Zodiac but because she clearly doesn't open up to everyone. She's shy but really she lacks certainty. Tohru provided her with a zone of comfort when she needed it most, telling her that she hadn't done something wrong exactly when spoiler[she stopped talking] but that she didn't realize how much her mother and everyone else cared about her. More than anything, I think what Tohru has provided Kisa is the certainty she lacked. Without any reservation, without holding anything back, Tohru expresses love. That, more than anything, is what Kisa needed back then.

Now, we get to see what that love and sisterly bond has helped Kisa to blossom into. She's clearly a stronger and more assertive person now. spoiler[She even teases Hiro a little! I can't imagine Kisa ever did that before. (In fact, looking back at the "date" they had in the park, it's clear that teasing someone even in a sweet and caring way is something that never would have occurred to her.)]

Kisa stood up for Tohru when she knew spoiler[Hiro had upset her, not merely because she cares for Tohru but also because she cares for Hiro. She knew that, despite his rather caustic personality, Hiro would never have intended to hurt Tohru that much. That is a big part of why she was so upset with him, why she could attack him the way she did. (You have to admit, Kisa really did let him have it.)]

I don't think Kisa would be able to do any of the more assertive things she does now if not for Tohru's help back then.

Also, I think that Kisa probably knows what Tohru might only just be starting to suspect, that spoiler[Tohru likes Kyo. I get the impression that Kisa senses it. I think she may see Kyo as a less sarcastic and more injured version of Hiro.]

Like any little sister, I think Kisa wants to be more like Tohru too. You can tell she's trying hard to be a more outgoing and loving person. I don't really know how this series ends, and I really want to avoid spoilers for certain things so I can be totally surprised, but I do know that before this series comes to it's close, I feel that Kisa will become even stronger and more like Tohru.

If there were ever a sequel to spoiler[Fruits Basket], I wouldn't be surprised to see an older Kisa making friends with an outcast the same way that Tohru connected with Uo-chan and Hana-chan.

Spoiler tags really weren't necessary I guess but I felt like doing them just in case.
TheDrizzle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:01 pm Reply with quote
How many volumes are there for this manga (that are going to be released in the US)? I've heard some people say that there are going to be 23, but one of my friends said that they are going passed that.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
TheDrizzle wrote:
How many volumes are there for this manga (that are going to be released in the US)? I've heard some people say that there are going to be 23, but one of my friends said that they are going passed that.

The series did end at 23 volumes, and volume 19 is due out this month. We'll be seeing volume 20-22 come out by the end of this year, and volume 23 will come out in the spring of next year.

I think Kisa and Tohru in a way share some of the same traits. The will to be strong, to be helpful to others, and my favorite: occasional empty-headedness Laughing Examples of this would be spoiler[at the summer retreat when Shigure said that he wasn't swimming because of the moe] Wink And then spoiler[Hiro took Kisa away who had no idea why he was doing so, and Tohru was just standing there with no idea as well] Laughing
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:41 am Reply with quote
They definetly seem very similar. Laughing They have a certain naivite which other characters lack. It is interesting that in the end even their relationship with the boys they like is very similar. Both Kyo and Hiro are the strong headed type of guys who very often might say the bluntest thing and the next minute they could get very overprotective, which sometimes (let's face it Wink ) both Kisa and Tohru need.

Richard J. wrote:

Quote:
Also, I think that Kisa probably knows what Tohru might only just be starting to suspect, that spoiler[Tohru likes Kyo. I get the impression that Kisa senses it. I think she may see Kyo as a less sarcastic and more injured version of Hiro.]

I agree with this quite a lot. She is also the one that senses the changes with spoiler[Kyo, especially when she has the courage to say "hello" to him and Kyo doesn't snap at her, he actually says kindly "hello" back to her and tells her and Hiro when Tohru returns. She even says her observations outloud, surprising Hiro for he didn't observe that until that moment. ] Which also makes me feel that Kisa has always been more the pretiest "face" in the manga. Very Happy
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
They definetly seem very similar. Laughing They have a certain naivite which other characters lack. It is interesting that in the end even their relationship with the boys they like is very similar. Both Kyo and Hiro are the strong headed type of guys who very often might say the bluntest thing and the next minute they could get very overprotective, which sometimes (let's face it Wink ) both Kisa and Tohru need.

Yes, they both need protecting. And isn't it funny that the times where it's most obvious has been a school. For Tohru it was when she was told to "stand there and wait" and for Kisa it was at the school fesitval...and, gee, both moments involved boys getting ready to hit on them! Shocked Wink Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 111 of 170