• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boy Hospitalized After Imitating Naruto in Sandbox

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KamenRiderFaiz555

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
So... WHY do we save kids who do this kinda stuff?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote
They must have packed the sand pretty good for him to have gotten in that much trouble. That or he is extremely weak for a 10 year old.

Also the article said that the kids went and got adults that were able to save the kid, but yet they somehow weren't close enough to see that they were putting this kid in a grave. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I can now understand why my sister wouldn't let Dr. Seuss books into her house now. These kids got to distinguish reality from fiction. Sheesh!
Faceman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
And Darwin almost won today....

I could ask "Why weren't the parents watching?" but I know as a kid, we didn't have constant adult supervision either. But we at least knew enough not to bury each other in sand, or try flying off roofs, lighting ourselves on fire, etc etc. Just a lack of common sense.
saini85

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote
WHY do we save these kids? That's pretty unreasonable of you. kids are immature and bound to do stupid things, that doesn't mean they deserve to die for it.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I bet Viz's lawyers and PR department are having headaches right now over this. I wonder when the lawsuit is going to start.
Egret

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote
When my sibs and I were little, we imitated Westerns. When my mom caught us trying to "string up the outlaw" from the maple tree in the backyard, she sat us down and explained the difference between fiction and reality in fairly graphic terms. We all said "Ohhhh...." and never tried it again.

Seriously, parents just need to talk these things out with their children. It's a law of life that kids will try stupid things because they haven't realized yet that they're stupid.
Faceman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
saini85 wrote:
WHY do we save these kids? That's pretty unreasonable of you. kids are immature and bound to do stupid things, that doesn't mean they deserve to die for it.

I'm not taking any aim at them just because their kids, but rather talking about people in general. If you do something stupid and dangerous, there's a chance you could die from it, plain and simple. Even normal things (driving in your car, eating at a restaurant) could kill you (car accident, food poisoning). But it's a lack of basic common sense which causes a lot of it. At some point in their lives, everyone should have a decent grasp on that concept.
joshuafer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how they buried him that he could not get himself out ? the sandbox was only 1 foot deep, did he do a head stand then they buried him ? If he was laying down, he should of been able to get up,, unless perhaps they piled a foot of sand on top of him...hmm.
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Step back a bit... okay? Okay. This kid was TEN. By the time you're ten, you SHOULD be smart enough to distinguish reality from fiction and know you aren't f*cking Gaara!

If the kid was like six or seven, I might be able to understand this, but seriously this is ridiculous. Also, where were the parents? Well by the time you're ten, you don't need constant adult supervision anymore, at least not if you're just in the backyard.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
From a purely anime standpoint... what scene were they trying to imitate? I mean, doesn't pretty much all of Gaara's sand fly? I understand if they were throwing it at each other, but I don't remember any scene where Gaara dumps sand on a prone body. Confused

(I'm just saying, ignoring the "kids will be kids" idea to bury oneself, I'm just wondering how it was supposed to be an imitation. Otherwise, we just need to make characters like that much much lamer, I mean did any kids drown trying to be Aquaman?)
DeathNote20XX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
We can all harp about why exactly this kid did this, but we should also look at the positive outcomes here.

1. This kid is alive.
2. When the other kids noticed something was seriously wrong they went and got help.

We also don't know that much about this kid in the first place. Sure, he's imitating a fictional character but maybe he's not mentally capable of clearly distinguishing reality from fiction.
melonbread

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:16 pm Reply with quote
This is just ridiculous.

No one should feel the need to worry about there being a possible lawsuit over this, because that's quite insane!

Although, there are all those injury lawyers who sue over tiny accidents and whatever.

What a (sometimes) stupid world we live in.
cenorig

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Things like these happen, children play and don't really understand what's real and what's not. And IMO 10 years old is still pretty young, besides, who else than WE should know that anime is very addictive. The kid just tried to pull off his hero's stunt, we do something similar cosplaying but we can understand what's real and what's not. And I'm sure that if you have moved around in certain places on the Internet, you have heard of much older people who believe they can concentrate chakra under their feet or have an mythological creature sealed inside them. Even the Answerman column has touched the subject once or twice.

Anyway, everything's alright if Naruto isn't going to be bashed and blamed for the incident. Like I said, children play. They used to play cowboys and indians, then Superman and Spiderman, now Naruto and Gaara. It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye...
AnimeFreak28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quote
LOL.... I must the only person here that finds this funny. Ya, poor kid and all, but come on, ya have to laugh at this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8