• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNtv - Inside Production I.G

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
An interesting episode. I really liked how he said that they want to make stuff that can last for decades after its released; if only every company was like that.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Good job ANN.Thanks for the enticing vid.I enjoyed this one a lot.
I'm a big fan of Production I.G. and love the projects they build.I want to check out Ghost Hound now.
kaori.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
An interesting episode. I really liked how he said that they want to make stuff that can last for decades after its released; if only every company was like that.

I agree

That was a nice episode, hope to see more Anime smile later on.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:22 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
I want to check out Ghost Hound now.

You mean you haven't already?! Wink

I had a total I.G fangasm watching this video. Very Happy Also, I'm glad Ghost Hound received some special attention (watch it and discuss in the thread!), and I spotted plenty of production art from Tokyo Marble Chocolate. <3 <3 And we almost got to see Oshii's and my favorite Kamiyama's desks!

Agh, there's really too much I could comment on about the interview and the tour, so I'm going to go ahead and say that this was an amazingly great feature. Thanks, ANN! Anime smile

Last edited by Aromatic Grass on Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:12 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
I love Production I.G and their work and can't wait to see what's next in store with them. Thank you ANN! Very Happy
Too bad you didn't get to go see what Mamoru Oshii and Kenji Kamiyama were really up to.
rti9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:11 am Reply with quote
Amazing show. This interview reminded me of the good old articles at ex.org. This is what I wanted to see on ANNtv. Really well produced episode with tons of content. The editing of the tour and the interview confirms that ANN's staff is pro. Just showing Production I.G's president talking as if there were no questions was a great idea. Congratulations.

I'm really sorry but I will insist on my minor complaint from last ANNtv. Halfway through the interview I asked myself "who is this guy again?" It would really help if ANN "re-introduced" the person being interviewed at least one more time in the middle. Just roll the very pretty Mitsuhisa Ishikawa/President and CEO once again as if there was a commercial brake.

I bet many people would like to find out who is the blond guy with pony tail in Production I.G's staff (2:30) and how he got there.

Quote from the video:
Mitsuhisa Ishikawa wrote:
Please continue to report on Japanese anime, from the source.
Thanks ANNtv.

EDIT: You are absolutely right Wing_Goddess.

Last edited by rti9 on Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Wing_Goddess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:52 am Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:

I bet many Americans would like to find out who is the blond guy with pony tail in Production I.G's staff (2:30) and how he got there.

Er... well I'm Canadian, but i'm also curious who that male was too ^^;
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:09 am Reply with quote
It must've been pretty thrilling for ANN staff to get praise from Ishikawa for covering anime so well. I also enjoyed hearing (er, reading) his take on fansubs. I hope a lot of people see the interview and absorb that part especially. We have a professional in the anime field, in Japan, saying that that people in the industry should be rewarded for their work, and fansubs are a concern of his.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cenorig

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:19 am Reply with quote
Excellent work!
A great insight to Production I.G and it's all done very professionally.

And reintroducing is a good idea, I watched the whole video and I have no idea who that dude or the lady was. But it's not so importatn anyway, as we got to hear some very interesting Japanese viewpoints of the industry and foreign market.

Really nice.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It must've been pretty thrilling for ANN staff to get praise from Ishikawa for covering anime so well. I also enjoyed hearing (er, reading) his take on fansubs. I hope a lot of people see the interview and absorb that part especially. We have a professional in the anime field, in Japan, saying that that people in the industry should be rewarded for their work, and fansubs are a concern of his.

I agree. Mr. Ishikawa has interesting stance on fansubs. He knows that fansub is based out of love for the medium, but also concerned about its abuse. These professionals work hard to make your favorite anime. It's not all right to take advantage of these people's effort while give nothing in return.

FYI, Anime professionals don't make a lot money as American counterpart. Japanese animators make less than half the pay that American animation artists make.
billyarnie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:18 am Reply with quote
At the beginning, he talked about treating employees as family. If only more U.S. studios would do the same. I understand animation is a business, but you can show honest concerns for your employees & people who purchase your products as well. He also understands passion that fans have & wants to please them with quality work.
Too many U.S. companies producing animation look only at the bottom line. Making money is fine, but if you don't make films & series people want to buy without having promos stuffed down their throats, you're making crap & people won't spend money on it anyway.
Look at Bruce Timm & Batman: Gotham Knight. He believes in quality & he & DC writers collaborate with Production I.G, Madhouse & Studio 4C. I think this DVD should be at least as successful & memorable as The Animatrix was... at least I hope...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:

I bet many people would like to find out who is the blond guy with pony tail in Production I.G's staff (2:30) and how he got there.

Yeah, I noticed that guy right away. I bet you could find out who he his by watching the credits... his name would stand out like sore thumb. I remember the credits on the Zoids opening theme, there was a guy named "Robert Etoll" that always caught my eye because his was the only name written in roman characters. Laughing

But this interview was great. I just wish there was a bit more about the animators and the animation process rather than whats-his-face Ishikawa talking. (I agree with rti9 on the needing to remind everyone who he is half way through ^-^Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Thanks ANN for getting this interview and tour of Production I.G.. They have been my favorite studio for a long time.

penguintruth wrote:

Interview wrote:
Answer to question about fansubs:
Fansubs are a way for some to show their passion translating them and wanting to show them to everyone. I can feel the affection, but there is a lot of corporate piracy. Good translations, which have been given freely are being used for bad things.
It seems his concern not as much the fansubs themselves but with the selling of bootlegs (corporate piracy) and the video and/or translations being taken from fansubs.
Interview wrote:
Answer to question about compensation:
If you create something, I believe you should have rights. I think you should be rewarded for that. I'd like that to be clear.
Considering the editing cut in the video, this seems to be a separate question and possible follow-up (?) about compensation.
HeisT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
cyberbeing wrote:
Thanks ANN for getting this interview and tour of Production I.G.. They have been my favorite studio for a long time.

penguintruth wrote:

Interview wrote:
Answer to question about fansubs:
Fansubs are a way for some to show their passion translating them and wanting to show them to everyone. I can feel the affection, but there is a lot of corporate piracy. Good translations, which have been given freely are being used for bad things.
It seems his concern not as much the fansubs themselves but with the selling of bootlegs (corporate piracy) and the video and/or translations being taken from fansubs.
Interview wrote:
Answer to question about compensation:
If you create something, I believe you should have rights. I think you should be rewarded for that. I'd like that to be clear.
Considering the editing cut in the video, this seems to be a separate question and possible follow-up (?) about compensation.

I agree on the bootlegs (corporate piracy) which is happened very seriously.

Seven year ago, in my country. I would buy the DVDs from licensing company, although expensive but the quality worth the money. However, as animes became a wider success among young and older generation, those greedy people start taking advantage of the popular cultures in the anime market by taking fansub works, put them into 1 or more DVD (labeled "100% Original, High quality (my ass)") and sell them. This has became the worst kind of corporate quick money scheme, and China have the most rip off anime from Fansub hard work. Some of them sell with a price half of the real license deal DVD, while other sell as cheap as 1$ buck for a full season chapter series in one disc!

They should burn in Hell~!!
JasonSolaris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

Yeah, I noticed that guy right away. I bet you could find out who he his by watching the credits... his name would stand out like sore thumb. I remember the credits on the Zoids opening theme, there was a guy named "Robert Etoll" that always caught my eye because his was the only name written in roman characters. Laughing

Umm. Weren't they in their marketing/promotion area at the time? Do they normally credit their marketing department?
Later
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2