• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Spirits Dream Inside

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:17 am Reply with quote
After watching 5cm, I thought about it and replayed the music in my head for the next 24 hours. It's interesting that your feature, and Theron's review came up on the same night. I won't repeat what I said on the other thread, but 5cm is a wonderful, masterful work and just thinking about it makes me want to stop what I'm doing and watch it again right now. I'm glad you liked it too, Bamboo. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that it entered your thoughts throughout the day tomorrow(Monday).

I only skimmed the xxxHolic section to avoid spoilers, but I'm glad it is shelfworthy. I'm probably going to watch it next.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:47 am Reply with quote
Man, as soon as you mentioned the creaky wheels, I thought of the exact same thing. It's been years since I even saw those first minutes of the episode, but it certainly stuck in my head. I never really got into the X-Files though -- too young at the time. In fact, I'm pretty sure creaky wheels guy was the last time I ever saw anything X-Files.

As for 5 centimeters per Second...Well, I'm sure ADV is loving the publicity its getting here Very Happy. These two reviews have finally pushed me over the edge, so I'll have to pick it up the next time I get a chance.

I too am glad to see XXXHolic get the shelf-worthy grade, although I'm holding out for now. I'm already very wrapped up in the manga, so I will wait to see if there is enough differentiation in the anime to make it worth purchasing.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:30 am Reply with quote
I might get a few solid hours of enjoyment out of Shuffle, but I'd probably feel particularly guilty about it afterwards.

Quote:
for all you non-Mass folks, it's pronounced "Wusstuh." Don't mess it up, or they'll beat you up.

How quaint. That's virtually the same way we pronounce it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bluegreen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:31 am Reply with quote
honestly, everyone who wants to watch xxxholic is probably better off reading the manga. They pretty much removed the entire over all story and just left the episodic segments. It was pretty disappointing.
Stullz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
Nice selections overall... but I have to defend Shuffle. I will admit it is a fairly stereotypical shonen style harem story... but there are hints of something much deeper and darker that may be coming. None of the nightmare dream segments were mentioned. Why is Kaede the way she is? In the dreams she hates Rin... Something happened, but what. The series probably would work better as a 12 episode series, with the filler and cute girls doing cute things fluff out of the way. I'm just saying there are valuable things in this show. Bamboo mentions that Rin is actually cool, something very different from most of the similar series... Shuffle should be in the rental section... Its not for everyone but it isn't perishable like Suzuka either. (maybe I'm just too optimistic)
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote
Ah - the first Shelf Obsessed has the awesome figure of Saki from Genshiken :O Do want...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
manafairy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote
bluegreen wrote:
honestly, everyone who wants to watch xxxholic is probably better off reading the manga. They pretty much removed the entire over all story and just left the episodic segments. It was pretty disappointing.

Seconded. It doesn't help that the stories are told out of order, screwing up the slow but still quite progressive character development. Much like the Devil May Cry anime, it's pretty disappointing if you loved the source material...
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:39 am Reply with quote
Those shelves contain anime figures, Neil Gaiman books and the bible. I think this shelf effectively proves that anime fans really are cool beyond words. Cool

5cm per Second has been ordered long before this column, I absolutely loved Shinkai's previous Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised in Our Early Days. The story-telling in them is amazing and the art is so ethereal and lovely that it boggles my mind that it was produced by a man. (I mean, my gender is better associated with blood and violence not elegance!)

Glad to hear Devil May Cry doesn't suck. Coming from Bamboo, I think that's a darn good endorsement. (Although I shall continue to ignore her opinion on Shuffle. I enjoy such series too much to do otherwise. Sad to hear the dads aren't around as much though.)

I still don't feel compelled to get Holic despite the endorsement. Not sure why, but I just don't feel any interest in this series.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:55 am Reply with quote
After reading the myriad postive reviews of 5 Cm Per Second on the forums here and elsewhere, I did something that I rarely do; I ordered it from Best Buy last week before I've ever seen it. It's supposed to be here tomorrow, so I'm hoping it's as good as all the hype. I love thoughtful, real-life type stories, so this shouldn't disappoint. Smile
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the review of xxxHolic. I recently got my copy and I enjoyed the heck out of it. The character designs are certainly different that what we are used to but it does grow on you.

I love Yuko. She's really great. And dangerous, I'm sure. I enjoy watching her send Watanuki into spasms. And her boozing.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest of the series.
JackCox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote
Thanks for Bashing Shuffle, it is truly a stupid series.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:52 am Reply with quote
I think I would have liked 5cm more had I not watched part 3. I scratched my head much like I did at the recent ending to Venus vs Virus.

Watched xxxholic yesterday and was quite happy. Picked up the movie double feature they released a few weeks ago and liked it. The series seems to be turning out just as entertaining.

I feel like the only person that likes shuffle. While I admit that Kaede's lack of a spine or any type of self-esteem is annoying, otherwise I think it's one of the funniest shows around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quote
Crawls out of pit of despair

I am very, very heartened to read some good Holic word of mouth for a change after reading so much on here about how they completely messed the character development up. Even if they did, it's sounds like it's still going to be a fun ride. I really liked the movie alot. Todd Haberkorn was an awesome Watanuki, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what he does with him in the series.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
I can't blame anyone for hating the early episodes of Shuffle. I found them rather dull as well and didn't watch the rest until I heard about the later episodes. It starts getting better in the next volume and the "No, eat my bento" gets shoved to the side, for the most part, for the rest of the series.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Stullz wrote:
Nice selections overall... but I have to defend Shuffle. I will admit it is a fairly stereotypical shonen style harem story... but there are hints of something much deeper and darker that may be coming. None of the nightmare dream segments were mentioned. Why is Kaede the way she is? In the dreams she hates Rin... Something happened, but what. The series probably would work better as a 12 episode series, with the filler and cute girls doing cute things fluff out of the way. I'm just saying there are valuable things in this show. Bamboo mentions that Rin is actually cool, something very different from most of the similar series... Shuffle should be in the rental section... Its not for everyone but it isn't perishable like Suzuka either. (maybe I'm just too optimistic)
I can't defend Shuffle!, at least not this set of episodes. Kakitamike, you're not the only one who likes Shuffle (I did like the series as a whole when I saw it in fansubs awhile back), but I remember being distinctly irritated at this set of episodes. And I'm a guy who does like these kinds of shows. Sure, I like seeing arrays of gorgeous, loving anime girls as much as the next guy, but the girls' cloying fawning over Rin and the domestica obsessions just go a bit too far. Maybe it's meant to appeal more to the stereotypical Japanese desires for the ultimate housewife who cleans, raises children, cooks miso soup every morning, and doesn't do much else. Yeah, I also think it "gets better later" (hopefully starting with the next volume), but that's no reason for Bamboo to upgrade her rating based on what might happen instead of what does happen in volume 2.

5cm I planned on getting as soon as its existence was confirmed, so there's pretty much no question there. Even if it wasn't good, I'd get it for completion's sake after buying Voices and Place Promised.

As for Holic, I think I'll wait on the verdict for the whole series. Even if it means continuing to be lost while watching Tsubasa Chronicle episodes featuring the Holic characters. At least I vaguely know where Yuko and Watanuki come from, as opposed to some of the other Clamp crossovers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4