• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - April Fooly Cooly

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait until I can read UMD! All those volumes are probably going to fill my whole bookshelf! I can't wait! I'm spending all my allowance on it!

I didn't realize I.O.N. was released in America, I read that ages ago when I was an Arina Tanemura fan (before realizing almost everything was a little to similar...) and I always put it on my list of unlikey to be released.. since it's like.. a one-shot manga..
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I've been debating and debating if any long-running (15+ volume) manga series need to be added to my collection. Shaman King has been the only contender... until now. It is obvious the Ultimate Mop Daisuke MUST be part of my collection! I'd better go warn the BF now that if we have kids, I've already spent our first born on the World's greatest manga! (Do any shops take IOU on first born? I mean, maybe they'll be afraid of it missing a few toes or something...)
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
UMD is by far the greatest series ever created, Japanese or otherwise. In fact, I think it needs to be awarded a Pulitzer...
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Great to see UMD finally get some representation in North America. I've been reading the raw scanalations for ages now.

And I must agree: if you want to continue to treasure this series, stop after vol. 27. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
SQUEE~!! DAISUKE FANGASM!! Shocked Very Happy

What do you mean the time skip sucks pants? The characters are MUCH DEEPER and there's more INTENSE DRAMA. Besides, it's better than that other generic shounen. Rolling Eyes You should feel bad that CN is skipping that arc in the anime version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I am quite curious if Ultimate Mop Daisuke DX is a real series or just a joke.

Though the resons I belive this might be a joke is because there has never to my knowledge been a manga with a A+. Another reson is because of the amount of volumes produced. No offense to anyone, but twenty eight volumes seems skiptical for a manga produced/parioded in Anime News Network.

However this series could be real because there was a author name and company. As well as a price and plot summary.

If this series is real, I hope US is able to translate this series.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Great to see the Fooly Cooly manga get some love,but I never expected to see my all time favorite Ultimate Mop Daisuke-DX manga reviewed.I ignored the warning sign on the newstand,and started with Vol 28 (cause of all the hype)it looked like the creator drew the whole series with their left foot.Everything was so squiggly.That didn't stop me from collecting the next twelve.UMD-DX 4 life.I got the first 27 on back order from E-bay's finest.

Did anyone check out the 3rd UMD-DX movie?
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
I really don't get the hype for UruMoppu (KyuuMoppu, if you MUST be purist)... Yeah, sometimes Daisuke and co. kind of turn on that Yakitate-esque comedic charm, but at other times the series just takes itself way too seriously and starts to feel like the typical Shounen Jump fight manga. I mean seriously, didn't Dai's match with Hiro in volume 9 take like 7 chapters? It's ridiculous. Half the chapters didn't even have plot or dialogue, just a huge mess of speedlines. The whole "THEIR DUSTERS ARE MOVING SO FAST I CAN'T EVEN SEE THEM" device is SO overdone, and it kind of feels like Kawajiri-sensei is just trying to get out of drawing more details (although that one scene with the duster feather twister was pretty sweet).

I'll admit that some of my disdain for the series is just because of the FANBASE. The little Daisutards waving around their replica mops and splashing their genuine buckets of soap and water at cons are SO annoying. The fangirls are terrible. What subtext?! Hello, Daisuke is straight, as volume 14 CLEARLY shows, but somehow the fujoshi ignore that and call DaiHiro canon just because of that one dialogue scene right before they team up in the time-travel arc. There is nothing erotic about a broom handle, seriously, even if it is Hiro wielding it.

*RUNS FOR COVER*
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
DAISUKE AND HIROSHI 4 EVER first of all!

Second: I love this manga so much! Hey! I like the time skip bizznatch! That was the best part in my opinion. Then again it's all the best part. It deserves an A+++++!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
Amidst all the fanaticism for UMD-DX, I'm glad to see a good review for the Honey & Clover manga. I'm a big fan of the series, and it seems the manga has even more college slice-of-life goodness for me to read.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:14 am Reply with quote
Oh Carlo, Carlo, Carlo...not you too?!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Bravo for such a good review of...I O N!

Oh and UMD, too.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
UMD! woot! Glad to see it finally reviewed, I now love your column even more.

Also, Honey and Clover got reviewed! I <3 you.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I am quite curious if Ultimate Mop Daisuke DX is a real series or just a joke.

Hint: Check today's date. Wink
Meccanica

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
I'm happy to see UMD-DX get a favorable review, as I get a smug, self-satisfied feeling of validation when a series I like gets a favorable word from a critic.
Anyone who doesn't like what I like (UMD-DX) obviously has a bias against mops/custodians and is taking it out on us loyal fans, and what are they trying to say anyway, the jerk, what an insensitive clod etc.

(Thinly veiled parody aside, I like the Gurren-Lagann tribute, but I am somehow bothered by the suggestion that something is more intense than my TTGL... obviously you have something against it, you insensitive clod.)
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki you just made my day.

UMD is all the rage these days isn't it. It's too bad it will most likely never get the Naruto treatment, or heck, even licensed over here in the States. But lets face it, the janitor closet jokes would most likely be butchered out anyway. And who would want to read that! Don't want to hurt the childrens poor little heads. Rolling Eyes

I do have a question for Carlo. What bookstore did you see the Japanese tourists in? If you don't mind telling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6