• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gurren Lagann Edited will air on Cartoon Network

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruriruri007

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:43 am Reply with quote
HOUSTON (Reuters) - Cartoon Network has announced they will begin broadcasting the hit Japanese animation robot title Gurren Lagann during May in the former One Piece time slot. Representatives from A.D. Vision, Inc. who are producing the English language version of the program have announced they have 2 episodes completed and are now awaiting the final broadcast edits from Cartoon Network producers. Should the pilot prove successful McDonald's USA will become the main sponsor as their Japanese branch did last year during the program's broadcast in Japan. Several merchandising deals have been rumored by industry insiders at trade magazine ICv2 with speculation that this title could be the driving force to bring stability back to ADV which has fallen on hard times since January.

ADV CEO John Ledford spoke regarding the program and its upcoming broadcast via conference call from the Tokyo International Anime Fair in Japan earlier today. "The program is animated by Gainax who have a long track record of proven successes within the USA anime market. Several of those successes were English versions ADV has produced. We have a good working relationship with Gainax and our feeling is this title will become the next Evangelion for us in terms of market longevity."

When questioned further about the broadcast Ledford stated, "I cannot speak specifically regarding the sponsorship and marketing so I will refer comments on those to Cartoon Network. We are very pleased with the minimal edits that were needed to reach broadcast standards. It has been an incredible experience to work with the staff at Cartoon Network."

Ledford did not go into detail regarding the broadcast editing but did confirm the only major edits involved a female character losing scenes due to differing children's broadcast standards between Japan and the USA. Ledford later spoke regarding the voice casting. "We have hired some voice actors outside of our normal contracts to help bring new blood into the anime market. A lot of people are expecting the Cartoon Network audience to latch onto The Camino's trademark 'What's my name?' shout."

ADV Films is the leading producer-distributor of Japanese animation (“anime”) in the western hemisphere, with the firm's holdings including such premier titles as Neon Genesis Evangelion, Samurai X, RahXephon, Hellsing, Full Metal Panic! and Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor. ADV Films also distributes select fine programming in other genres, including live-action science-fiction titles such as the legendary updated Gamera films. Parent company, A.D. Vision, Inc., encompasses a multitude of complementary media divisions, spanning publishing, television, licensing and merchandising and continues to expand into new areas. Its Anime network? is America's first digital television network dedicated to bringing anime and anime-related programming to consumers nationwide via digital cable. A.D. Vision, Inc. maintains world headquarters in Houston, Texas, USA with additional offices in Tokyo and San Francisco. For more information, visit www.advfilms.com

Cartoon Network, currently seen in 87.3 million U.S. homes and 160 countries around the world, is Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.’s 24-hour, ad-supported cable service offering the best in animated entertainment. Drawing from the world’s largest cartoon library, Cartoon Network showcases unique original ventures such as Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends, Codename: Kids Next Door, Teen Titans, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, The Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, Ed, Edd n Eddy and other Cartoon Cartoons. Cartoon Network also features Adult Swim, its signature late- night block of animation for grown-ups. Since its launch in 1992, Cartoon Network has remained one of ad-supported cable’s highest-rated networks. Cartoon Network’s Web site is located at www.CartoonNetwork.com.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:01 am Reply with quote
this news deserved a double post it's too much epic for one topic to handle
Paludis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:41 am Reply with quote
Please tell me this is an april fool's joke
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:53 am Reply with quote
Paludis wrote:
Please tell me this is an april fool's joke

why? this is great news if it's true.

even edited having TTGL on CN will increase it's mainstream exposure greatly (and it's way better than nothing)
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:42 am Reply with quote
Ugh... april fools. The day where you believe absolutely nothing you read on online news sites.
EngrishFan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:51 am Reply with quote
Reading the topic creator's post, the article's grammar structure and accurate corporate information (at least the paragraph on ADV Films, can't confirm the info on Cartoon Network) don't give out the tell-tale signs of a regular April Fools joke. On the other hand, if it is a hoax, someone definitely spent his/her time doing research and crafting a post as believable as that.

I also agree with BladeDragoonZETA that if this is real then it's a great amount of publicity for the series and a great boost to ADV as well. Now if only they would announce when/if the DVDs are shipping again.....
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:06 am Reply with quote
If this is an April fools joke (Which I REALLY hope it isn't)

it is a cruel one indeed. the TC may not live to regret it....
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote
EngrishFan wrote:
Reading the topic creator's post, the article's grammar structure and accurate corporate information (at least the paragraph on ADV Films, can't confirm the info on Cartoon Network) don't give out the tell-tale signs of a regular April Fools joke. On the other hand, if it is a hoax, someone definitely spent his/her time doing research and crafting a post as believable as that.

I wouldn't consider the grammar of the article in determining if it's a joke or not. It could very well be an actual press release, but the true jokers are AS, not the OP. Google releases fake press releases all the time on April Fools day. (Which reminds me, I need to go see if they've done one this year)

Edit: Just want to clarify that I firmly believe this is a joke Wink

Last edited by DerekTheRed on Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
Tell you what guys...believe it when you see it on ANN's front page instead of something posted by someone with only two posts to their credit.

Happy April 1 St.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Tell you what guys...believe it when you see it on ANN's front page instead of something posted by someone with only two posts to their credit.

Happy April 1 St.

Actually it's only one post since the other post is just the same post again.

Last edited by samuraiwalt on Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I suspect it is a April Fools joke, in which case it's a very good one, i.e. it's believable. However, what makes me suspicious is this:

Quote:
Ledford did not go into detail regarding the broadcast editing but did confirm the only major edits involved a female character losing scenes due to differing children's broadcast standards between Japan and the USA.

Now, I haven't seen GL, so I don't know exactly what it means. However, unless there are actual naughty bits involved, it's out of character for CN to be squemish. And if there ARE naughty bits involved, it's very likely they'd opt for digital coverups rather then cutting scenes, which means that if there were scenes cut, it's ADV's fault for not knowing how the game works.

But the main reason this has me suspecting shenanigans is that it seems designed specifically to push our buttons. In other words, the punchline isn't the inevitable April 2 reveal- it's watching the people on the board go into full-scale rant mode. Sort of like those sequences in Army of Two where one guy falls down, presumably dying, and the other runs over to do the CPR minigame to save his partner's life, and then the "dead" guy jumps up and goes Ha-Ha!

April Fools Day is probably the only time that trolling message boards is perfectly acceptable...
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
reuters? you could've at least put some effort into this joke.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
There always seems to be someone coming into the forums with some April Fool's joke every year. This year's sounds more believable than last year's though. To the point where you can't even tell if it's an April Fool's joke this time >_>. At least they got the date right.
imperative7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I hope that this isn't an April Fools joke. This would be great for ADV and it will show that CN is still serious about being a place to see good anime here in the US especially after some of the choices that they made in what they did to certain shows: Gundam Seed being at a 10:30 PM saturday time slot, getting no replays, and being moved to 5 AM on saturday which is the death slot for all of TV, getting rights to Seed Destiny and airing it in any country except the US, getting .Hack//Roots and not even finishing the run, and airing far less anime than before.

It will be great for Gurren Lagann to air on TV since it is a great show and getting the casual fan to get to see this show may help to get younger viewers into wanting to actually buy the show if CN doesn't finish the series.
imperative7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I hope that this isn't an April Fools joke. This would be great for ADV and it will show that CN is still serious about being a place to see good anime here in the US especially after some of the choices that they made in what they did to certain shows: Gundam Seed being at a 10:30 PM saturday time slot, getting no replays, and being moved to 5 AM on saturday which is the death slot for all of TV, getting rights to Seed Destiny and airing it in any country except the US, getting .Hack//Roots and not even finishing the run, and airing far less anime than before.

It will be great for Gurren Lagann to air on TV since it is a great show and getting the casual fan to get to see this show may help to get younger viewers into wanting to actually buy the show if CN doesn't finish the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2