• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GDH to Allow Downloaders to Set Price for 2 Gonzo Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crilix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:18 am Reply with quote
If this is an April fools joke, it's not very, erm, considerate of our feelings. Smile
Jacut

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:26 am Reply with quote
Hope it's an april fools joke, or else, GDH doesn't know how to do business :>

Oh, but maybe the "set price" will only be for the high-def downloads, and the streamings will still be free ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:54 am Reply with quote
"Pay what you want" sounds like 100% free to me.
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:42 am Reply with quote
This could actually be either one, I have to admit. They'd be joining some very serious company if it's true--Nine Inch Nails and Radiohead have both called their "pay what you feel" endeavors successes, which may or may not be financially secure but at least seem to have satisfied whatever criteria the bands were holding out for.

On the other hand, this seems extraordinarily progressive for an anime distributor of late.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:59 am Reply with quote
I always thought $1.99 was a fair price to download an episode, really....People either may actually come up probably between .50-99 cents...

xD at least that's the idea I'm thinking if people were given the option to do that...

Let's see how this test fairs out.
danj2k

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:05 am Reply with quote
Surprisingly, it looks as if this might be legit: here's the link to GDH's web site where it tells you about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:54 am Reply with quote
I already commented on this once, but we all need to support this people! Anime is a business, and anime companies need money to keep making anime.

And people need to pay for this, not leech it!

Everyone who downloads needs to chip in at least $2, that would still only be $8 for 4 episodes. I for one am tired to buying over priced DVDs in the USA, an average disc cost between $20 and $25 US, and that is for only 3 to 4 episodes! At $2 that is almost a third of the DVD price! and it is DRM free, so you can move it between your Ipods and cell phones and put it on disc to watch on TV!!!

Sounds like a great cheap way for me to get my anime and still support the industry.
Serafuku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:18 am Reply with quote
Lowlife187 wrote:
I already commented on this once, but we all need to support this people! Anime is a business, and anime companies need money to keep making anime.

And people need to pay for this, not leech it!

Everyone who downloads needs to chip in at least $2, that would still only be $8 for 4 episodes. I for one am tired to buying over priced DVDs in the USA, an average disc cost between $20 and $25 US, and that is for only 3 to 4 episodes! At $2 that is almost a third of the DVD price! and it is DRM free, so you can move it between your Ipods and cell phones and put it on disc to watch on TV!!!

Sounds like a great cheap way for me to get my anime and still support the industry.

Anime is so damn cheap nowadays. I got the entire Golden Boy series for only 15 dollars at Best Buy while when it first came out it was like 20 to 30 dollars for 6 tapes. It also used to be at least 100 dollars or more for a boxset (both vhs and dvd) but now we never see boxsets going for that much too often. It's way, way cheap. Trust me.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:34 am Reply with quote
My impression is that some people on CR will spend a lot of money and you're talking about teens who at times don't think rationally. This is basically based on an emotional impression of what you would pay for something and not a thoughtful analysis. So if they do a per episode deal and "pay what you feel" then GONZO will make more money out of the deal then with the standard approach on BOST TV (season pass or $1.99/episode).
PonSquared

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:37 am Reply with quote
I am a huge pirate! Arr. I get everything for free! Woo! (No, really, I'm not kidding.)

That said, I do support the online pricing model when things go DRM free. Ever since music when up on Amazon DRM free I have been buying a good portion of what I download there. While I admit I do not pay for all of my music, I am beginning to show my support to bands through by paying for their work via Amazon MP3. The main reason behind my moving towards paying for music is that it is DRM free (of course), but also that the price matches what I feel the songs should be worth (around a dollar each.)

Now that anime is going the same route I will begin to pay for what I watch when I feel that the show is worth paying for (If it's not I won't watch it, generally.) Additionally, when I can pick the price, I can then gage the value of a show. If I like it, I might spend a dollar an episode for it (Lets face it, asking for more than a dollar an episode for anything downloaded off the net is highway robbery.) If I think it is okay or sub-par, I can still drop fifty cents an episode to show a bare minimum of support for a show that I don't particularly like but want to finish regardless.

My position is that something is better than nothing. You are a company who makes widgets. You know that 90% of what you sell is going to be pirated - thus making no profit on that said 90%, what do you do? Continue with the same old same old, or try to get some of those people who pirate your product to pay for it, even if you won't get at much as you like. Is something better than nothing?

As for me, Gonzo may very well have a paying customer from this point on. Where before they were making nothing, they may now by making profit. Small, marginal? Yes. But again, something is better than nothing. And who knows, I might even pick up the DVD of a series I really like and want to keep. In that way Gonzo may be making more money then they would have made by selling DVDs alone.

I really hope this model works out because it seems to only have advantages in a world were the Pirate Party can not be stopped.

PS: Flame away. (>_<)

Last edited by PonSquared on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
halo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:40 am Reply with quote
Anyone know which site will offer the highest quality stream?
bluecloud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:48 am Reply with quote
So some of the donation will definitely be spent for CR's providing more fansubs to more people, right?
Serafuku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:56 am Reply with quote
halo wrote:
Anyone know which site will offer the highest quality stream?

Crunchyroll actually has high quality streams to all users now so at least they will have good quality for these releases. Not sure about the rest.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:12 am Reply with quote
it worked for radiohead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
melonbread

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:30 am Reply with quote
This is not a good idea, I think.

Although I've read in several places that Radiohead never posted their figures, I did read them on one website, and the vast majority of people didn't pay for their album at all, the rest pay measily prices. I have not a clue whether or not that was true though.

This is anime though so it could be different. I'd doubt it though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4