• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony's Animax Expands to Spain

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melonbread

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:43 am Reply with quote
Slow but steady wins the race for Sony, it seems.

They've yet to venture a little North into the other parts of Europe. *cough* UK *cough*, when apparently they were in the final stages of negotiation last year.
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:47 am Reply with quote
Soon ANIMAX will cover most part of the world with Anime, more and more nation will fall into the Anime dimension, ofcourse it will be very benefical to raise our fame and funds.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:17 am Reply with quote
Asian Guy wrote:
Soon ANIMAX will cover most part of the world with Anime, more and more nation will fall into the Anime dimension, ofcourse it will be very benefical to raise our fame and funds.
Not in the UK it won't mate. Allegedly Sony wants three channels and will not release AnimMax on it's own, and there is no more room on the UK bandwidth for one, let alone three new channels. So until someone sells their slots to Sony it will not transmit here sadly.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:26 am Reply with quote
Will we never get an Animax. Sigh.
Justy93

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
We had it in Puerto Rico thru Directv, but strangely it was dropped for unknown reasons..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:52 am Reply with quote
You can get ANIMAX almost in any country that allowing cable Tv system where you have to pay to be a member montly. So you can get it in England, just go ask the nearest Tv channel provider in your area wether they have ANIMAX on their cable tv channel list.
504NOSON

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't it be grand to have an ANIMAX here in the US of A. The closest We've ever gotten to a 24 hour Anime channel,is Funimations channel and Anime network. In my opinion,they suck n*t's,because they only show dub's. The best Anime channnels are the local ones,like the ones that show Anime/jdrama/tokusatsu,they air sub's and raw,which is all i watch. So,if ANIMAX plans on airing Anime in,*screetches*...Spanish... than they can shove that package.
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 am Reply with quote
That is why you should get the cable/pay version the Anime are subbed in english and not dubbed.
minakichan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
US VERSION PLEASE. I guess that the failure of Anime Network makes that unlikely. Man, our industry is made of suck, guess the Europeans beat us out on this.
melonbread

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:46 am Reply with quote
Asian Guy wrote:
You can get ANIMAX almost in any country that allowing cable Tv system where you have to pay to be a member montly. So you can get it in England, just go ask the nearest Tv channel provider in your area wether they have ANIMAX on their cable tv channel list.

Well actually, no you can't. It doesn't work like that in the UK.
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
Oh I see, so there is no cable tv channel system in England. ANIMAX is the prime Anime only channel that not just owned by Japanese but also the only Anime only channel aired 24 hours all about Anime.
Cetus-kun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:58 am Reply with quote
Asian Guy wrote:
Oh I see, so there is no cable tv channel system in England. ANIMAX is the prime Anime only channel that not just owned by Japanese but also the only Anime only channel aired 24 hours all about Anime.

I'm pretty sure there is a cable tv system in England they just don't offer ANIMAX. In the US it's the same thing. I get the Funimation Channel, but no other TV Channel shows anime 24 hours a day (and all of them are dubbed too). But most people don't even get the Funimation Channel. Cartoon Network also shows anime, but they've been phasing it out lately. G4TV also used to show anime, but I don't think they do anymore. FUSE and SciFi show a little though.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Cetus-kun wrote:
[I'm pretty sure there is a cable tv system in England they just don't offer ANIMAX. In the US it's the same thing. I get the Funimation Channel, but no other TV Channel shows anime 24 hours a day (and all of them are dubbed too). But most people don't even get the Funimation Channel. Cartoon Network also shows anime, but they've been phasing it out lately. G4TV also used to show anime, but I don't think they do anymore. FUSE and SciFi show a little though.
Yes there is a cable system, though a rather crappy one, called Virgin Media, formally NTL, but that is not the problem. Cable ops have to get their source of channel signals from satellites too and there aren't any free transponder slots left on any of the birds that illuminate Europe and the UK.
beaverdude

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
man i wish they would get stuff like that to Denmark...
i think all the anime shows ever aired on danish tv can be counted on 1 hand -.-
and all were dubbed... very badly!
we could rly use something like a 24 hour anime channel with subbed shows
kgw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I was in the introduction party. They did show they got Sony's money and they are after the "anime" (not "kiddy toons") aficionados, or people who might like serious, adult (not p*rn) stories and animation. So far, they're just buying "old" stuff from spanish anime licensors.*

About dubs and subs... well, dubs do not work here (I mean, by paying for it). Buzz, the only anime-oriented cable channel (or so) until now, complained they spent a lot of money subbing their shows and people did not watch them. Here in Spain everything is dubbed; people is not used to original version movies/tv series.

On a sidenote: Imagenio is just one IPTV, the most important of course -it belongs to Telefonica, the former state phone company- . Anyway, other companies got their own IPTVs.

* Jonu (Inuyasha..), Selecta (Chevalier...) and Arait (Lupin III...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2