• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Note's 2nd opening

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. Though I've seen stuff like that done before; like a metal version of "Oops I did it again."
rti9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Monumension wrote:
I thought this was a refreshing step away from the usual J-pop clishés.

Exactly. This probably happened due to Death Note's popularity. Knowing that their success was guaranteed, the director probably gave green light to "go crazy" on the second opening. Whether you like it or not, What's Up People is now one of the most memorable intros because it openly embraces the chance of being hated. Easy-listening = easily forgettable.

belvadeer wrote:
Now, I know what you're thinking, "A metal version of this song!?" It actually has a nice mix.

That was pretty good.

This is kinda a fun thread because sanosuke32 was completely pwned by everybody else. Stupidity preserved to posteriority. We can learn something from this. And laugh too.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Kay, so Maximum the Hormone? Fun band, fun band. You can't say that about many heavy metal rockers, but I heard this song called:

Chu Chu Lovely Muni Muni Mura Mura Purin Purin Boron Nurururerorero

Yes, that's the full name. Google or Youtube it. It's freakin' hilarious. Laughing
Prodigiosus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely LOVE the second opening, but I have a big soft spot for angry metal music. Which is weird, because I have a huge soft spot for the opening song in Excel Saga...go figure. I think it works for what's currently going on in the story at the moment. And if I could make it a ring tone I would. Although it would probably just sound like my cell phone was throwing up since it doesn't carry much base. lol.
XCNinja

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm usually no fan of this sort of thing, but god is Maximum the Hormone so easy to listen to for hard it is. What's Up People is just so wonderfully chaotic and energetic, yet still musical unlike the crap that gives more hardcore music a bad rep. The part of the intro where Ryuk is dancing around with an apple held over his head is priceless, and the overall opening is probably one of the most perfect for the show that I've seen for any anime.
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:30 pm Reply with quote
When I first heard "What's Up People?!", I thought it was really stupid. It just seemed way too over the top (because Death Note is never over the top Wink), and I don't listen to that type of music at all. I kept skipping over it each episode, but then I felt like watching it again because it was so bizarre....and I watched it again and again and soon just got hooked on it. Now I love that freakin' song Razz

Though the whole debate over whether they're saying "sucker" and "fucker" on the TV version has died down, there's one point that no one seems to have grasped. Yes, those words don't appear in the lyrics until the very end. However, the short version of "What's Up People?!" is the first part of the song and the end part of the song tacked together with the middle removed. The first two times the chorus is played in the full version, where "sanka" and "fuanka" are in the lyrics, have a different instrumental part than the third chorus, where "sucker" and "fucker" appear, and they are clearly using the third chorus. So technically, yes, they ARE airing "fucker" each time they play the song on TV, because that's the part of the song that's being used (personally, it sounds like "fucker" every time....even in the earlier chorus parts, there's an 'r' sound at the end of the word).
abominaSion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:46 am Reply with quote
I don't realy don't wan't to argue about the whole "F" thing. but the opening definately uses the end of the song. Unless it was altered(vocaly,which it could have).
This Song, which I really like. Goes exremely well with the opening animation and I rather enjoy that aswell. Great song, could be metal though not death or anything close to rap.

[deleted statement] I've deleted the statement, it was unessesary and most importantly offensive to some users. If someone felt somewhat offended I apologize.

Last edited by abominaSion on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote
sailorspazz wrote:
When I first heard "What's Up People?!", I thought it was really stupid. It just seemed way too over the top (because Death Note is never over the top Wink), and I don't listen to that type of music at all. I kept skipping over it each episode, but then I felt like watching it again because it was so bizarre....and I watched it again and again and soon just got hooked on it. Now I love that freakin' song Razz

Though the whole debate over whether they're saying "sucker" and "fucker" on the TV version has died down, there's one point that no one seems to have grasped. Yes, those words don't appear in the lyrics until the very end. However, the short version of "What's Up People?!" is the first part of the song and the end part of the song tacked together with the middle removed. The first two times the chorus is played in the full version, where "sanka" and "fuanka" are in the lyrics, have a different instrumental part than the third chorus, where "sucker" and "fucker" appear, and they are clearly using the third chorus. So technically, yes, they ARE airing "fucker" each time they play the song on TV, because that's the part of the song that's being used (personally, it sounds like "fucker" every time....even in the earlier chorus parts, there's an 'r' sound at the end of the word).

Wow. Thanks for clearing that up. That totally solves my dilemma. I didn't know whether to:

A) Believe my ears which were TOTALLY not hearing "fuanka" no matter how hard I tried.

B) Believe the official lyrics that made it clear they were saying "fuanka" even though it didn't make sense to me.

Now I have a third option and FINALLY know what's going on.

So, to review, everyone: The song lyrics do say "fuanka." But the full song is NOT used for the TV broadcast, and the TV edit uses the word "fucker."

Problem solved. Thanks for that. Very Happy
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
Might as well throw in my opinion here as well. At first, I really didn't like the new opening or ending. However, I now recognize how it reflects the current frame of mind of Light in the second half, and all the craziness to come. Still, I cannot stand the full version of the song. In essence, I still don't like it but I can take, and actually enjoy the short version a bit now minus the ending which is really too much for my taste. I'm not big on metal (and other genres along those lines), so that also plays a part in it.

Additionally, the animation and such is pretty cool, but it's only recently that I get the sense of it being a good opening theme (not necessarily in terms of my prefernce to the song) but in terms of getting you hyped up for the episode. I really liked "the WORLD", and of course during its use in Death Note, the anime was at a high point, and I always felt it did well in reigniting me come Friday night, when the next episode begins.

All in all, it's an alright opening theme, if it wasn't for its use in Death Note, and the fact that there is a short version, I couldn't stand it at all but as it is. I can live with it, and even enjoy it a bit, sort of a guilty pleasure even (minus the ending of the song).
TheNebula

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
Most people seem to think they're saying the "f-word" in that song, but I hear they're actually saying something that just sounds like the "f-word." Is this true?

Quote:
Personally, I cannot stand death metal. It's the worst genre of music to date.

While I'm no fan of death metal either, I'd say hip-hop is worse, in my humble opinion.

As a big fan of good hip hop, I wonder what music you have heard you think is "hip hop." I hope you aren't referring to the garbage dominating the radio because there really is a great deal of good, thoughtful hip hop still out there.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
TheNebula wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:
Most people seem to think they're saying the "f-word" in that song, but I hear they're actually saying something that just sounds like the "f-word." Is this true?

Quote:

While I'm no fan of death metal either, I'd say hip-hop is worse, in my humble opinion.

As a big fan of good hip hop, I wonder what music you have heard you think is "hip hop." I hope you aren't referring to the garbage dominating the radio because there really is a great deal of good, thoughtful hip hop still out there.

To be more specific, it's the garbage that's dominating the radio and music channels like Fuse and MTV (assuming those channels play music anymore). I don't mean to judge all "hip-hop" based on that stuff like it may sound.
TheNebula

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
TheNebula wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:

Quote:

To be more specific, it's the garbage that's dominating the radio and music channels like Fuse and MTV (assuming those channels play music anymore). I don't mean to judge all "hip-hop" based on that stuff like it may sound.

Ah, yes. That nonsense is most certainly not true hip hop. If you are ever interested in hearing some smart hip hop, check out the work of Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Lupe Fiasco and Common. These four artists - independent of each other - stand for real hip hop, my favorite kind of music.
Unmei No Deai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote
My first reaction to "What's Up People?" was somewhere along the lines of "OMGWTFBQQ". I much prefered the first opening (most likely because I'm a Nightmare fan), but after a while the second opening grew on me and I began to actually like it. The more insane Death Note (and Light) became, the more the opening seemed to fit.

JesuOtaku wrote:

I nearly died when I first heard that song about a year ago. It's just so random.
OtakuGoth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I kinda agree a little with what Monsieur Pink said. Even though you guys hate the theme songs to death note, you can't really hate metal music. Rolling Eyes
Monsieur Pink wrote:
Where's all the metal hate coming from? It might not be my favorite genre either (I listen mostly to rock for your information), but their is plenty of extremely talented band of death around and even if you dislike the the vocals and instrumentals you cannot deny that you have to be talented to sing (otherwise they wouldn't be able to sing ever again after a year) and play like they do. Back on topic I don't particularly love Death Note's second opening (oh, it's not that bad, it's just not very good either), but I certainly like it a whole lot better than the first which was, in my opinion, pretty bad. And I do agree with NocturnalUX on how it fits with the series evolution.
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Unmei No Deai wrote:
My first reaction to "What's Up People?" was somewhere along the lines of "OMGWTFBQQ". I much prefered the first opening (most likely because I'm a Nightmare fan), but after a while the second opening grew on me and I began to actually like it. The more insane Death Note (and Light) became, the more the opening seemed to fit.

JesuOtaku wrote:

I nearly died when I first heard that song about a year ago. It's just so random.

What a name for a song, and what a song. Laughing The chorus especially makes me laugh. Another interesting song is "Koi no Megalover", my limited Japanese skills tells me that this translates to 'Megalover of Love', which is quite the title. Aside from the screaming in between, I like the song. That's the thing for me with Maximum the Hormone, their music isn't bad but the screaming really kills it for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6