• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kanon DVDs 2-3

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I really like the extras on the discs. Behind the scenes stuff always intrigues me.
W-General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:44 am Reply with quote
Second paragraph, I believe the author meant "Sayuri and Mai" not "Sayuri and Mia"
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:49 am Reply with quote
No mention of Akiko's jam?

Awww =\
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:06 am Reply with quote
I actually just watched the 1st volume today. I didn't like Air, so I was quite surprised at how much I liked the first vol of Kanon Very Happy ! According to this review, it looks like things just get better as it goes along. It looks like I just might have to add this one to my collection Wink .
jagerhohenheim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:42 am Reply with quote
Was the reviewer aware that Kanon is actually the predecessor to Air TV? Originally being released as a 13 episode series in 2002, then redone longer as a 24 episode series in 2006. It's just now being released here in the States.

And a side note, the Japanese version also has Sayuri talking in third person, and they do eventually address that.
hogkill3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:30 am Reply with quote
I'm watching this series right now and I have to say the comments about it being a series for fans are absolute bs.

My first impressions of the show were "omg this is so lame, the eyes are huge and like a foot apart on all the characters faces, and what is with the premise? It's like a harem for otaku girls"

I was very wrong. After you get a few episodes into it you realize it's not really a harem at all (and you get used to the bug eyed animation). It's an amazingly heartfealt story that will toy with your emotions. I'm a guy and I still cried numerous times in this series (and no i dont do that on a regular basis).

I still have 4 episodes to go but this was probably the biggest suprise any show has had in store for me because I expected it to be a boring harem style show.

Definitely disagree with the review on this one (although the review was for the DVD and it wasn't negative or anything). This show deserves no less than an A. And there's nothing wrong with the soundtrack, I thought it was quite good, and it only gets better from here on out.

It's like Haruhi meets Honey & Clover, and it's not a fan show it's just an amazing show. Definitely worth watching.

Last edited by hogkill3 on Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:37 am Reply with quote
I never expected to fall in love with the show this much. I had watched the free episode that was streamed here on ANN, and decided it was worth renting on Netflix. After I saw it, I immediately went and bought the first disc online.

The sense of humor is right up my alley; it fits me to a T. Very Happy The characters are all charming in their own way, and the pacing seems just right in every episode. I also love the way they constantly tease the viewer with foreshadowing, both in obvious and not-so-obvious ways.

I own all three DVDs now, and have the fourth pre-ordered. This show is definitely shelf-worthy. Wink
hogkill3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:45 am Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
I never expected to fall in love with the show this much. I had watched the free episode that was streamed here on ANN, and decided it was worth renting on Netflix. After I saw it, I immediately went and bought the first disc online.

The sense of humor is right up my alley; it fits me to a T. Very Happy The characters are all charming in their own way, and the pacing seems just right in every episode. I also love the way they constantly tease the viewer with foreshadowing, both in obvious and not-so-obvious ways.

I own all three DVDs now, and have the fourth pre-ordered. This show is definitely shelf-worthy. Wink

Just out of curiosity how many of you purchase the DVD's for shows without watching a fansub first? The only show's I've ever done that for were Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Ergo Proxy and FLAG. And I was pretty disappointed with Ergo Proxy after the first DVD (the other 2 were/are awesome).

I know fansubbing gets a bad rep on this site for some reason but I honestly think fanusbbers are responsible for half of the anime industry in north america. I wouldn't be going and buying the DVD's for shows if I hadn't seen them subbed first and thought they were awesome.

If I purchased soley on what other people thought about the shows I would have bought Full Metal Alchemist (which I hated) and wouldn't have bought Gantz (awesome).
Leebo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:52 am Reply with quote
hogkill3 wrote:
If I purchased soley on what other people thought about the shows I would have bought Full Metal Alchemist (which I hated) and wouldn't have bought Gantz (awesome).

Really? A lot of the reviews I read of Gantz compared it positively with Elfen Lied (which I enjoyed). I ended up hating Gantz. I didn't see many reviews written by people who disliked it like I did.

EDIT: On topic again... I do agree with the reviewer that the show is mostly about pandering to fans in different ways. That becomes more clear as the other girls' arcs come. I don't dislike it, but it's definitely not a realistic portrayal of typical relationships. They're structured the way they are for a reason.
DarkHunter6523

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote
jagerhohenheim wrote:
Was the reviewer aware that Kanon is actually the predecessor to Air TV? Originally being released as a 13 episode series in 2002, then redone longer as a 24 episode series in 2006. It's just now being released here in the States.

You're right on the facts, but you're wrong in respect to this review.
As the original Toei production and the game are both predecessors to Air (anime/movie), this remake is very much the successor to Air in its production and talent. It is in fact, Kyoto Animation taking all that they learned in the process of making Air, to produce Kanon while paying the utmost respect towards the original concept created by Key. Bearing no more semblance to the original Toei production than it's PC game roots, labeling Air as its predecessor is very appropriate given how the production crew worked on Air first, before doing Kanon.

At this point, to even begin relating Toei's interpretation of Key's games to that of Kyoto Animation, is like categorizing apples with elephants. With Toei becoming more overzealous in their "interpretations" (see: Air movie & Clannad movie), Kyoto Animation is still able to satisfy the legions of Key fanboys despite certain creative additions, making Kyoto Animation very much Key's animation studio of choice.

hogkill3 wrote:
Just out of curiosity how many of you purchase the DVD's for shows without watching a fansub first?

Admittedly, I use fansubs as more of an ultimate trial type of system to evaluate shows that I like before praying for American licensing and releases. The majority of anime out there is really quite bad and I'd much rather spend my money on things like gas than to get a DVD and then find it to be not as epic as I originally though/heard (thanks Vandread).

Also with the departure of Geneon, I'd much rather wait for all the DVDs to be released before buying so as to not end up with another box and two of the 6 DVDs that were suppose to go in there. To think, I was about to get the special edition Saiunkoku Monogatari w/ box...
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Just out of curiosity how many of you purchase the DVD's for shows without watching a fansub first?

I use Netflix to preview all my anime, since I want to support the industry. Before that though, I did use Youtube to watch FMA fansubs. That's what really got me into anime hardcore, but since I pay for Netflix anyway, I'd rather use that as a means to help keep R1 anime alive.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
Spot on with the music... Kanon does have the weakest bgm music out of the big 3 Key titles in Kanon, Air and Clannad.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
I don't dislike it, but it's definitely not a realistic portrayal of typical relationships. They're structured the way they are for a reason.

It is certainly unrealistic, but as you mention that's clearly intended; it's romantic escapism for the target audience.

I had no real problems with the music, and after episodes 8-10 (which had me in tears almost throughout) I began to overlook all of the minor flaws in the series.
Due to my emotional attachment to Kanon I would personally give a higher rating, but I think a B+ for these volumes is fair from an objective standpoint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:43 am Reply with quote
What in the world is it about this show that has me so drawn to it? As others have said, the word charming sticks in my mind the most. The characters are so likable and Yuichi's wit is downright awesome. After the foreshadowing of Makoto's situation at the end of vol. 2, when I received vol. 3 in the mail and saw her on the cover, I actually cried a little. Even with the sadness in ep 10, shortly after ep 11 began, I was magically all better. That's quite a feat for a show as usually when I'm sad about something, I brood for a while after. Kanon is that special. Smile

As customary for ADV, at the end of vol 3 they flashed a release date for vol 4 as 4/8/08. Alas, it has been pushed back to 5/13/08. Crying or Very sad
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Dammit, the more replies I read, the more impatient I become while waiting on my order of v 1 & 2 to arrive Mad . I actually had a tough time time trying to find a place that had them in stock; I finally settled for Rightstuf. And of course, my local Best Buy had vol 3 on the shelf, but not 1 & 2, which are backordered on their website. I should have checked this series out sooner Crying or Very sad ...
Oh well, so long as I get them (soon)!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2