• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: PiQ Goes to Hell with Sam & Max

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noblelement

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Gah. I'd rather pay extra to import Newtype Japan than put up with this stuff.... Can I have my monies back pl0x?
Jih2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
It sounds more interesting than the typical anime magazine that focuses on the month's new releases although I probably won't buy a copy. Still, fairly interesting, their views may be worth checking out if I hear any endorsements.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Hey. Sam & Max is good stuff. :P

I'll miss Newtype and I probably won't find myself following this magazine, but I rather like the idea of a magazine that centers around games and anime/manga. :3
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
The comic, movie, anime and game coverage all made sense, but I can't figure out why there's an article on old game shows. Or an article on Finland.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
That is an awesome cover design. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cloud1989

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I liked this issue alot better than the first, for the anime coverage, it seems they done a bit more this time, still don't care for everything else though, except the japanese rpg articles they have, which have improved to. What is everyones opinion of otaku usa, I like piq enough to give it more time but I don't think it gives me all my anime needs like newtype did, if not otaka what else are good options, and I am not going to import a magazine I can't read.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm going to keep my subscription alive for now but I'm fairly underwhelmed right now with PiQ. It's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. However, that is akin to saying that having one's fingers crushed in a vice isn't as bad as having one's head crushed in the same vice. (Ah, hyperbole, how I love thee.)

Some of the non-anime articles are kind of fun, but there's a lot of features that really just seem pointless. (Are we trying to engender good will with [adult swim] or something by covering Tim and Eric? PiQ would earn my love by shooting them instead.)

I really miss the regular columns and features from Newtype USA too, like Monica Rial's column and the Everybody Cosplay section. (Well, at least I have the photobook.)

Still, it's not a complete waste of glossy paper. Put those two features back in and I'd be happy. (Also, how about a special subscription for those of us who want those preview discs or a website where I can enter my subscriber ID # or something and download previews?)
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote
It looks like Jonathan Clement's Far West will be a regular feature. He is always a good read.
PatrickD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote
I was a Newtype USA subscriber from the start. I own every issue including the preview edition that was given out at conventions like AX and Anime Boston.

I don't know when my PiQ subscription will run out, but when it does I probably won't notice for several months. I have read these first two issues of PiQ, but they certainly don't stand out as anything special. Not even remotely.

That said, it's still the best anime magazine out there...and that's sad. Comparing it to Anime Insider, PiQ is so much better...but could be so much more.

I think putting Sam & Max on the cover of volume 2 was a risky move which could alienate the anime fans coming over from Newtype USA, but it may also attract new readers who didn't want to pick up Newtype USA before.

There are a lot of areas that PiQ could improve upon (and I'd rather not start listing them all here)...so hopefully that improvement will be coming along shortly. When it does, maybe I'll subscribe again.
archaron

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I would be lying if I didn't say I miss Newtype. As for PiQ it is better than I thought it was going to be. That said I am still up in the air on whether or not to continue my subscription. I guess I am hoping that they will get better given a little time.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Not that PiQ isn't informative or what not, but I myself will stick with Anime News Network for anime information.

Crunchyroll, Anime News Network, and word of mouth from friends are my best information sources.
Kabuto Tokugawa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
Have the second one in hand as I write this...
Let me put it this way.
If this trend continues, I'll be glad when my subscription to NTUSA ends.
This second issue is far,far, better than the first issue IMHO.
They've dropped much of their snarky attitude problem that was "in your face" in the 1st issue and they've increased the total anime coverage within the magazine; though not enough IMHO.
Which I see as a step in the right direction.
Maybe by the time the sixth or seventh issue is out it'll be an anime mag again, then again maybe not.

I'm still of the opinion the magazine is of lower quality than Anime Insider, and can't hold a candle to OtakuUSA or Protoculture Addicts.

Here's as short a review of the 2nd issue as I could muster. Please keep in mind this review is strictly my opinions and is my view on the quality of this magazine as a former NTUSA subscriber;

The Surfing the Highway to Hell piece on page 18:

Pity as an anime fan I could give a rat's behind about this show. The article didn't entice me to check out the program nor did it make it appealing IMO. It starts of as if the reader is already familiar with Sam-and-Max and that was an instant turn off for me. Then there's a mild insult about "weeding out people" [like me] who'd never heard of this show with a "weedwacker." It's nothing like the 1st issue's lame butt attempts at humor but its dry, insulting, and a general turn off.
This article leads into the "Comic Genius" article on page 20, which is like a rehash of the previous article only more boring IMO.
Then there's a third article about these two [like a give a hoot at this point] which is yet another rehash, blah, blah, blah.
These three pieces should have been condenced into one article or trimmed down IMHO.

Thank your Lucky Stars article on page 24;An anime article, whoah!
Not too bad of a piece but it could have been longer and more explanatory with less "fooling around" in the article. It's a bit crass at points (the nerd comment was supposed to be funny, but was just not).

Ironman piece on page 28;This piece about the new Iron Man movie was okay, but I liked the article in Starlog Magazine a lot better than the one in PiQ. Since PiQ is trying to "cut-the-mustard" with magazines like Starlog, I compared the two magazine's coverage of the new Ironman.
The PiQ magazine article read more like a movie promotional piece than an actual insider article on the upcoming movie. It wasn't a bad article it just wasn't a particularly good one either.

Adult Swim's T&E show on page 32;Obviously the people at PiQ do NOT frequent the Adult Swim message boards. Even some comedy fans over there hate T&E and that's saying alot. So an article about these two "comedians" in a magazine going to former NTUSA subscribers is another punch in the face IMO.
The article on Adult Swim's Tim and Eric Show had no place in the magazine IMO. The way I view it, putting T&E and anime in the same magazine shows a lack of understanding of how many Otaku view William Street right now. Many of us are Peeved about how [as] consistently insults anime fans and rags on anime in general Just check out the remarks made about anime in the recent poll about the "Angriest Viewer Letter Champion."
While I agree the poster deserved his title we Otaku didn't deserve this remark, "So we salute you, alchemicdesignz, not only for loving a cartoon genre that deserves its own entry in the American Psychiatric Association’s Manual of Mental Disorders..."
So in my Otaku's opinion anything William's Street related has nothing in common with a magazine formerly dedicated to NTUSA subscribers, and since they will not give us our money back, I think the least they could do is have enough respect for us too leave Adult Swim's garbage out of it.

Pretty Evil (aka Disgaea 3) on page 36 (My thanks to HitokiriShadow for correcting me on the release date of this game);
Oh boy! More snarky comments by the chief editor (Kevin Gifford) trying to butch up and sound cool. Just what I want out of a magazine...NOT!
This article was obviouly just filler and it reads like filler.
Boring!

The next article is the "Fighting the Future" article on page 38;
Its about a new show on BBC America called "Torchwood".
Oh goody, just what I wasn't looking for, another article about a live-action show I care nothing about and will never watch. Thank you PiQ.
And a follow up interview with Naoko Mori (whom I've never heard of) on page 40. The interview was nice but totally uninteresting to me personally as it had nothing to do with anime or any live action shows I'm interested in. So I was neutral on this one.

The Price of Progress piece on page 44;
Egads another anime article. I nearly fell off the toilet as I read the mag.
Another Okay piece that Anime Insider, Protoculture Addicts, or OtakuUSA could have done much better. But it was there, and it was anime, so I won't complain.

Weird Science on page 48-49;Wow! An non-anime piece/interview that I actually enjoyed. This was well written, and very interesting. Maybe the guys at PiQ should hire Johanna permanently. The woman's got class and a professional style of writing that PiQ sorely needs.

Pages 50-73 were either Japanese culture or anime/manga related articles;Most of these were too short IMO. Though if they can put this type of material in the magazine, and expand the articles to more than one or two pages a piece, then they'll improve the quality of the magazine in my view. The anime/manga/Japan culture pieces are not long enough. It's like they just wet your pallet then cut you off completely. Very irritating.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret on page 74;
Why is this here?
A graphic novel that not a comic book? What exactly does this have to do with comic books, video games, anime, manga, or anything else in Outre culture?
This article is just more filler IMO. It's boring and mundane.

Batman: Death Mask #1, "The Dark Knight is big in Japan";
Finally something I want to read about...but its less than a full page long. The small article is good though. Which is no surprise since Johanna Carlson wrote it (get a clue PiQ!)

Gattaca/The Adventures of Baron Muchausen on Page 77;
Are they Freak'n kidding?
Baron Muchausen?
Geez I wish someone would trout-slap those two idiot editors and clue them in on what year it is!
Filler, nothing more, nothing less, and totally boring.

Letters on page 78;A truly entertaining portion of the magazine. Especially the letter entitled "Crime Time." Guess I'm not the only one who found that stupid "joke" about shooting people on the way too work offensive.
Let's just say the "hate" outweighed the "love" for PiQ.

Who wants to be a game show nerd? on page 80-83;
Why?
Why is this in a magazine supposedly about anime, manga, video games, and comic books?
And why is it one of the longest articles in the magazine at four pages?
IMO this piece was truly a marvel of dumba$$itude.
Again, filler.

Ikkicon on Pages 84-85, and Katsucon on pages 86-87;
Kevin Lillard does a fine job with both of these Cosplay articles.
No complaints I enjoyed them both. Although I wish they had been a bit longer. And again I see a professional grade journalist that the PiQ staff could learn from. At least they're getting descent people to write for the mag. That's an improvement.

Pages 88-89 were the events page and Reader Art!;
I was pleased to see both of these, but especially the reader art.
Some of the art sent in was quite good IMO. It was one of the things I enjoyed about NewType and I hope it continues with PiQ.

PiQ's salute to the greatest, bloodiest, most explosive (and expensive) movie genre of all time, pages 90-95;
I believe this set of "mini-articles" is the second longest piece in the whole magazine. This piece is also quite childish IMHO, it may or may not fit into the whole idea of the mag, but insulting and belittling the action movie genre is not interesting nor funny IMHO.
It's bland, and has a "been-there-done-that" sense too it. I don't think that Kevin Gifford and Scott Howard seem to get it. NewType was never about putting down anyone or anything. It wasn't about pushing the opinions of the staff onto the reader, nor was it about dissing American Hollywood culture.
I'll admit that I agreed with much of what both of them were saying in the piece, I just didn't think it was appropriate. In other words, I may feel like they do about the current state of Hollywood but I wouldn't print it in a magazine.
Maybe I'm alone on this, but I found the article truly worthless. Even Ellen Wernecke's piece is too personal. I don't care what she thinks. I don't want a mag with self-annointed movie critics running it. I think PiQ needs to understand that these types of articles make their magazine look foolish and unprofessional. It's okay to put in a comment here or there, but to dedicate the largest section of the magazine to your own personal likes or dislikes is in poor taste IMHO.

Manga of a higher calling, and "How to make it with [girls] games, on page 96;
Both sections were too short to be of much interest.
Looks like filler.

Grand theft anime on page 97;
Jonathan Clements did an excellent job with this [unfortunately] short article. He writes in a very pleasing and professional way. It is one of the good articles in the mag.

Critical Reapraisal on page 98 and Digital Virtuoso on page 99;
Proof that Scott Howard actually can write a descent article when he wants too. It is my opinion that he was writing about something he actually likes and thus as if by magic he became a professional writer. If all his pieces were like this one (very little snark, informative, and respectful of its readership) then PiQ would have a better chance IMO.
Both articles were good IMO and I wish he'd treat all of the articles he writes like these two.

Postcards on page 100;
Very short, but sweet. A nice touch, hope too see more of this in the future.

Model Citizen by Adam Rehorn on page 102;
Informative model info for the beginner Otaku or Sci-Fi modeler. Although I am not a modeler myself I thought the article belonged in a mag like PiQ.

Meet the Maker by Derrick Sobodash on pages 104-109;
The best article in the magazine IMHO.
It was informative, not snarky, and written in a professional manner. This is the kind of piece that PiQ needs throughout its magazine. Not necessarily a video game piece but an article that is respectful of its readers, not foolish, overly opinionated, childish, or down right insulting.
This article grabbed my attention about a subject I cared nothing about and got me too read it all the way through.
My hat is off to you Mr. Sobodash for a job well done!

Page 110, the "PiG" thing again;
I read through it. It was nearly the same as the article from the 1st issue in style and theme. IMO PiQ could do without this section. It's not interesting. It's childish and can be insulting to some people.

The manga inserts were both good but too short. It would be nice too see more of Yoshinori Natsume's Batman "Death Mask" and Jyutaroh Nishimo's "Steel Fist Riku." Instead of just the teasers we got in the back of PiQ.

Overall I'd say the magazine still needs a great deal of work too even come close to its current competition.

As I stated already, it's my opinion that Anime Insider is superior to this magazine. Anime Insider is 100% anime. Granted I'm bias in favor of it because of that, however, I've yet to see many of the discrepancies in Anime Insider that I find in PiQ.

Maybe the third issue will "Wow" me, but I doubt it.

Last edited by Kabuto Tokugawa on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote
Well heck, who isn't familiar with Sam and Max? I mean, any fan of animation that isn't bias against anything that isn't anime has to be familiar with Sam and Max on some level.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kabuto Tokugawa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
I really wish they had written a better article about Sam & Max. I'll probably check it out on my own, but I wouldn't have from just PiQ's piece on it.

I sincerely hope they improve soon. Sad
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:22 am Reply with quote
Gattaca andThe Adventures of Baron Munchausen were both just released on Bluray. That's why they were featured. Not mentioned in PiQ is that a 20th anniversary edition of Baron was also recently released on DVD. I'm a big Terry Gilliam fan, so I was grateful for the info.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2